Daws that are not "Rock Solid"

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please post them here.

Um..Everything except Reason?

I think this thread would be better called "personal computers that are not rock solid".

Most DAWs are rock solid but get shakey with user error and odd system configurations. The only one I have never used at all is Reaper, so I cannot speak for it but others seem to like it.

I have had some freezing or other issues here and there but that usually was a glitchy plugin.

Pro Tools comes fresh with a list of 'known issues'. It's outright documented by Avid.

Surely that counts.

Probably worth including any DAW that comes with .0x bug fixes that list fixing any sort of crash... Which is pretty much all of them.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Most I know are soft.

Sonar was always a nightmare for me personally. Over 10+ years, the same issues would crop up time and time again. I gave up after version X2, and switched to Studio One. Cakewalk kindly gave me an NFR for X3 after sharing this story with them, which was very nice of them, but I didn't notice much of a difference.

Sonar would crash, or wouldn't close properly, or would tell me my hard disk was full when it wasn't, had a ton of plugin compatibility issues, randomly corrupted projects with no way to recover the MIDI because this is stored in the project file (would happen probably twice a year), etc.

Studio One has been incredibly more stable. Perfect? No, I've had a random crash here and there where I think the Slate plugins are acting up, but the crashes are very rare. For me, it's been very stable.

Not looking to start a frame war, these are just my experiences.

thejonsolo wrote:I think this thread would be better called "personal computers that are not rock solid".

Most DAWs are rock solid but get shakey with user error and odd system configurations. The only one I have never used at all is Reaper, so I cannot speak for it but others seem to like it.

I have had some freezing or other issues here and there but that usually was a glitchy plugin.
+1

There are some which crashed on me though, while others didn't, and while i was executing real basic tasks. namely LMMS (worst), DarkWave Studio (ok, that one didn't even start uo) and Sonar X3. Everything else i tried i would consider pretty rock solid. And as has been said, Reason you can treat like a b**** and it won't crash on you (and that even on any computer i tried it on). It's really amazing. :)

keyman_sam wrote:Um..Everything except Reason?

this.

There are overall stable daw's, some not so stable, but only reason is 99.99999999999% on windows using every Re in the shop (ie over 400 plugins) and 100% stable on mac.

This is why i put up with it's huge list of shortcomings.

But not to say Logic isn't "stable" overall, cause it is, for example.

ls1xxx wrote:Please post them here.
I wanted to post Logic but the attachment is too big.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Sonar was always a nightmare for me personally. Over 10+ years, the same issues would crop up time and time again. I gave up after version X2, and switched to Studio One. Cakewalk kindly gave me an NFR for X3 after sharing this story with them, which was very nice of them, but I didn't notice much of a difference.

Sonar would crash, or wouldn't close properly, or would tell me my hard disk was full when it wasn't, had a ton of plugin compatibility issues, randomly corrupted projects with no way to recover the MIDI because this is stored in the project file (would happen probably twice a year), etc.

Studio One has been incredibly more stable. Perfect? No, I've had a random crash here and there where I think the Slate plugins are acting up, but the crashes are very rare. For me, it's been very stable.

Not looking to start a frame war, these are just my experiences.
pretty much the same here, but I stopped after x1 was abandoned leaving some nasty CTDs caused by clicking the wrong place in the gui... cake forum response? "don't click there!"

and i also never got a nfr :cry:

i've mostly seen crashes due to plugins. Occasionally, it's been driver issues, and sometimes just plain old operator headspace. I did have a hardware problem once...i had to replace memory, even though the ram i had tested okay, swapping it for like fixed the problem.

That said, probably the biggest headache for me was my experience with PTLE, though it wasn't due to crashes...it was those blasted buffer messages! I could work without issue, recording a LOT more tracks on the same system, vi/fx use, the whole shebang. all i had to do was use different software! it was pretty maddening.

Beyond that, DP8 on pc isn't quite as solid as i'd like, but i figure new plugin format, new platform, etc, so...i'm willing to give it some time. It was very stable when i'd used it on mac. Crashes tend to be brought on by a combination of plugin and user error, and are not very frequent.
Most other stuff i've used has been pretty solid.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

Is Cubase pretty Solid? I'm having a hard time deciding which one if these daws I want to go with. Between Cubase, FL Studio, and Ableton.

I just had a crash with Cubase 7.5 yesterday, if that counts. :D

As for the rest I've used over the years in order of stability (Reason being the benchmark)

0). Reason
1). Reaper
2). Energy-XT v1.6
3). Live

Reaper atleast has a timely auto-backup and a recovery mode for when the s**t really hits the fan, so I've been covered in all but the most unfortunate cases. Live is slightly more crash-happy (and hard to recover lost work) and Energy-XT is just slotted in between because I don't recollect it crashing that often.

Cubase 7.5 yet to be ranked (not enough experience).

I haven't had a single crash in Logic X.
I can't remember the last Live 9 crash either.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Here's my experience on my 2012 MacBook Pro from most solid to least:
- Reason 7
- AudioMulch
- Logic Pro X / Renoise
- Bitwig
- Ableton Live (Max4Live instability)
- Adobe Audition (easily crashes with internal plugins)
- Tracktion 5 (too bad, I want to like it)
- Reaper - crashes even with internal JS plugins (bummer because it was very stable for me on Windows)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”