DAW for EDM

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dakkra wrote:LMMS: Free but has relatively low grade audio and lower feature set
I'd have to disagree. I primarily use LMMS and I can attest to it having a *lot* of packaged effects, plugins and samples that comes with it.

It seems that in the past it wasn't nearly as good, but at least since I've started using it in the last year it has been a pretty good program.

But the real strength is in how many vsts you can use with it.

The only real weaknesses is that sometimes it seems to use a lot of CPU, and that all but two of the plugins in my opinion that it comes with are not worth it, but the two are are very versatile. It also has some odd bugs semi-occasionally from time to time (mostly stuff like a vst keep getting a stuck note until you restart the program) and no undo button, but that is easily remedied by saving often, which you should be doing anyway regardless.

Many of the samples are also of good quality and you can always get more samples/vsts and effects or make your own samples ect.

I think the only things I even use that came with it is some effects like the vintage delay and LASPD effects, the triple oscillator, zynaddsubfx, and some drum samples. The rest is various vsts and effects I've added since and it sounds just as good in LMMS as in anything else...

I think the problem is that many people don't know how to use it, or only know it from when it wasn't very good back a few years ago. For a free program it is very put together and I've yet to see any features in "professional" DAWs that would warrant the price tag over something free in my opinion.

In FLS a hung note can be quit by pressing the stop button, this feature is mandatory to me.

nowadays I would start working with Reaper. It's nice for midi and the all round best DAW for audio editing (in my opinion) It also has a great mixer which has no limitations (similar to Studio One); It is also extremely easy to use and very user friendly

camsr wrote:In FLS a hung note can be quit by pressing the stop button, this feature is mandatory to me.
LMMS has this too >.> Just sometimes i keeps getting hung until a restart is the bug.

My vote goes to ableton live.

My friend is producing EDM with ableton and he swears by it.
I even start to like it, everything is so smooth and user-friendly there.

MuLab is nice EDM DAW too :tu:

LMMS all the way baby.

Bitwig obviously ;)

All DAWs essentially do the same job. What ever suits your workflow best is the best DAW for what you want to do.

Your 'workflow' is something you will work out over time, as you make more and more projects. You'll figure out how you like to work, and what works best for you.

That said, for 'EDM', Logic comes with great synths and effects straight out of the (virtual) box. You should deff check it out.

Any one will do, if you spend some time to learn it. For EDM, I'll go with Ableton Live.
Last edited by e@rs on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Podium Free. Give it a try, it's amazing.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

for pc fl studio
for mac logic x

so, almost all DAWs has been mentioned now :D wich one did the OP choose?

I produce EDM, and I've recently broken through the Commercial barier and I have sold something to NBC recently..

I have no formal training and I did not go to school. I use Logic 9 and I find it very easy and rewarding, give it a shot!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”