Reaper - how to move a CC1 event?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Reaper, is it possible to move a CC1 message to a different point in time?

I've tried using the left mouse button to click-drag it, but when I do that, it selects / moves all the CC1 messages in the CC1 lane, instead of just the particular CC1 message I click-drag.

I've spent hours attempting to execute this basic task, so easy to execute in every DAW I've used. Thanks, Cockos.

The Reaper manual says, on page 216,
12.10.2 Right Click Marquee Selection

You can right-click and drag within any CC lane to make a selection of multiple events.
So I "right-click and drag" the CC1 event I'm trying to move.
Having made your selection, you can work with them in the CC lane.... you can:... Click and drag to move the selection left or right, control click and drag to copy.
That doesn't work. When I follow the directions, it moves all the CC1 events in the lane, instead of just the one event I've selected.

TheAdventuringPanda wrote:
Having made your selection, you can work with them in the CC lane.... you can:... Click and drag to move the selection left or right, control click and drag to copy.
That doesn't work. When I follow the directions, it moves all the CC1 events in the lane, instead of just the one event I've selected.
You're right. It doesn't work - just tried it. But if you switch to Events view, you can move individual CC events by typing in a new place value (which really sucks if you need to move a lot)

Andywanders wrote:You're right. It doesn't work - just tried it. But if you switch to Events view, you can move individual CC events by typing in a new place value (which really sucks if you need to move a lot)
Thanks very much for trying this and letting me know. I thought I saw someone else reporting this a few month ago (before version 4.77), but when I searched today, I couldn't find that.

Thanks for the tip, too. That makes it possible, but still inconvenient for the work I'm doing.

Ah the joy of midi in Reaper.... :lol: Anything CC related is a hit and miss in Reaper.

Next, try overdub recording CC1 (modwheel) movements. :hihi:

Fortunately the Reaper forum folks are a helpful bunch : http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
:phones:

keyman_sam wrote:Ah the joy of midi in Reaper.... :lol: Anything CC related is a hit and miss in Reaper.
Remarkable that notation and things are on the way but something that has been implemented well in sequencers since Cubendo on Atari seems to elude Cockos. We live in hopes. Until then, we live in dongle-land. :borg:

(in fact, some of the FRs are so old now the images are missing from the posts)
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=978

TheAdventuringPanda wrote:In Reaper, is it possible to move a CC1 message to a different point in time?

I've tried using the left mouse button to click-drag it, but when I do that, it selects / moves all the CC1 messages in the CC1 lane, instead of just the particular CC1 message I click-drag.
I assume that's because you probably have MIDI editor -> Options -> Auto-select CC when moving/copying within project time selection enabled and a time selection set.

It's works fine here.

Yeah, works just fine here. Gotta be careful which options are enabled.

No_Use wrote:
TheAdventuringPanda wrote:In Reaper, is it possible to move a CC1 message to a different point in time?

I assume that's because you probably have MIDI editor -> Options -> Auto-select CC when moving/copying within project time selection enabled and a time selection set.

It's works fine here.

I confirm. Just remove the time selection (you can assign a key to that action) and it works just fine. In fact, it is a good implementation because it lets you easily move a group of CC messages.

Marc

No_Use wrote:

I assume that's because you probably have MIDI editor -> Options -> Auto-select CC when moving/copying within project time selection enabled
You're right. I left that option where it was when I installed Reaper. The manual describes that option:
Auto-select CC when moving/copying within time selection

If enabled, will include CC events when a time selection is copied or moved.
I'd seen the description of that feature, and figured it didn't apply to what I was doing, since I'm not trying to copy or move a "time selection". But now looking at the name of the option, that's a better description of what it's really doing.
and a time selection set.
I had that too. I normally have a few measures selected so I can loop-play them while I'm making edits, to hear the edits.
It's works fine here.

It works here now too. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by TheAdventuringPanda on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:Yeah, works just fine here. Gotta be careful which options are enabled.
10,000 options. Figure out what they all do, set them right, and you are ready to make some music with this DAW.
Azura wrote:In fact, it is a good implementation because it lets you easily move a group of CC messages.
Good implementation, and yet at least three of us didn't understand why it was behaving that way. Some DAW-fans will blame every misunderstanding on the users, but some DAW developers will go that extra mile to document their DAW so that people can use it.

TheAdventuringPanda wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Yeah, works just fine here. Gotta be careful which options are enabled.
10,000 options. Figure out what they all do, set them right, and you are ready to make some music with this DAW.
Azura wrote:In fact, it is a good implementation because it lets you easily move a group of CC messages.
Good implementation, and yet at least three of us didn't understand why it was behaving that way. Some DAW-fans will blame every misunderstanding on the users, but some DAW developers will go that extra mile to document their DAW so that people can use it.
CC events get selected automatically for whatever selected note they're tied to, whether this option is checked or not. If you move the selected note horizontally, the CC events will also move - option or no option. Time selection makes no difference. I just tried it.

Sorry, but this bad implementation. What if you want to move (or delete) a few notes without affecting the CC data? You can't, because it will also move or get deleted.

Cockos should either fix this or rename this option to "Disable moving individual CC events in CC lane" or something like that. It's current name is not only too cryptic and doesn't say what it really does, but it's also wrong.

Andywanders wrote:CC events get selected automatically for whatever selected note they're tied to, whether this option is checked or not. If you move the selected note horizontally, the CC events will also move - option or no option. Time selection makes no difference. I just tried it.

Sorry, but this bad implementation. What if you want to move (or delete) a few notes without affecting the CC data? You can't, because it will also move or get deleted.

Cockos should either fix this or rename this option to "Disable moving individual CC events in CC lane" or something like that. It's current name is not only too cryptic and doesn't say what it really does, but it's also wrong.
In the MIDI Editor Window, in the toolbar, the fourth button says "CC selection follows note selection" when you hover the mouse over it. The extent of Cockos's documentation about this button is:
To the right of the filter button are four toggle icons... CC selection follows note selection....
While troubleshooting yesterday, I noticed this button was on and turned it off. If yours is still on, maybe that's why intended note-editing is affecting CC-data for you?

Ahh...

Thanks for that.

I had customised my toolbar ages ago and for some reason removed that button. It's back now.

Still, it's confusing to have this automatic CC selection in two places.

Anyway, thanks again. I learned something new today. ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”