Tone 2 - Saurus 2 is available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

Gui looks good but the sound is what I'm curious about. Saurus seems to be lacking on the low end.

Maybe the new equalizer can fix that 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:To me 100% compatible means that one can load old ones in the new version, but not necessarily that they sound 100% the same, which is not even realistic when it says they have completely reworked the synth engine. So I assume that old patches loaded in version 2 sound slightly different, but better.
That was also my assumption. Hopefully v1 and v2 can coexist. If I had a final mix using v1, I wouldn't want to upgrade to v2 and have the sound change.

I think the GUI is OK but dislike the shiny "chrome" knobs especially considering how poorly the shine is rendered:

Maybe it has to do with the screenshot, or is it like that live as well?
Just took a screenshot of Sylenth and zoomed in accordingly, same there, reminded me of this toy we used to play with as kids :hihi:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _break.jpg

fluffy_little_something wrote:Maybe it has to do with the screenshot, or is it like that live as well?
I don't know. I don't have access to the synth yet. But it looks very odd. Most of the graphics look carefully rendered. Then it looks like a 2 year old painted the right side of the knobs a different color in MS Paint with jagged edges. :P

It says they completely reworked all factory presets, which also suggests the sound as such has changed a bit...

chk071 wrote:Yeah, GUI is definitely looking fine.
I do like Tone2's gui design. Nice to look at (despite the odd artifact) and easy to use.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I'm warming to Tone2...and Saurus2 is tempting me.

I've always like Tone2 UX, but the graphics are a little low rent. They need to up the quality of their renders and tidy up designs. https://tone2.com/Tone2_Saurus2_screenshot.jpg

Tone2 often seem to get overlooked...a fresh overall look and feel would probably do wonders.

Frantz wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:To me 100% compatible means that one can load old ones in the new version, but not necessarily that they sound 100% the same, which is not even realistic when it says they have completely reworked the synth engine. So I assume that old patches loaded in version 2 sound slightly different, but better.
That was also my assumption. Hopefully v1 and v2 can coexist. If I had a final mix using v1, I wouldn't want to upgrade to v2 and have the sound change.

I think the GUI is OK but dislike the shiny "chrome" knobs especially considering how poorly the shine is rendered:

In fact, their amp envelope sounds as bad as their UIs.

first was'nt so good as design was) maybe a second one will be better
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

I downloaded the demo of Saurus a few days ago and got a demo version of Saurus 2 :)
Assuming this was a mistake, I went to the trouble of emailing Tone2 (twice) and messaging them on FB, and didn't get a single response. :roll:

*edit
I see today they have renamed the demo download as version2. But the version for sale still seems to be version 1. Not ideal.
Last edited by db3 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

db3 wrote:I downloaded the demo of Saurus a few days ago and got a demo version of Saurus 2 :)
Assuming this was a mistake, I went to the trouble of emailing Tone2 (twice) and messaging them on FB, and didn't get a single response. :roll:
You're right! Both demo version on PC (32 and 64-bit) are version 2!

So, any noteworthy improvements?

Not impressed at all with this new version.

4damind wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
4damind wrote:Hmm... I remember that I bought Saurus but never used it again :D
Is it because you were so annoyed that every time you want to toggle the LFO or Osc shape you have to click multiple times to cycle the shape to the one you want?
I'm not sure. I remember there was something with this Tone2 "pseudo-analog" sound I don't like. Maybe there was also a bit too much overlap with similar synth. But this synth was not expensive so I keep it in my plugin folder so I can say "I have one Tone2 plugin" :hihi:

But I don't think that I buy version 2 and cannot see the "must have" features. Instead I'm looking forward to the release of FXpansion Synth Squad 2... But this is a different topic :wink:
The sound was... well just not that good. I'm a fan of Tone2. Love Gladiator, Electra 2... Nemesis... I still use Warmverb. But the sound of Saurus... never liked it. So, hopefully a revamped engine will improve it a lot.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”