mux for mac please?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why so aggressive?
The dev has been very polite throughout and has listened to your ideas.

im attempting to bring a perspective on actuality. i think that could involve a certain amount of discomfort. if youre not ready to deal in actuality, this sorta stuff can be a little much. but dont worry what i said probably wont change a thing so the future of your comfort is not in danger. but if you dont like my observations please just go elsewhere, unless you have some good ideas? no? do you disagree with my assessment? should i not express myself? are you privy to an alternate market reality? i might be interested in hearing about that. please clue me! let me know what your wisdom would be rather than just telling me you dont like what i said. thats not worth much, ya know?

Not sure if I should reply to that but here goes.

My ideas? I've offered feedback occasionally when asked for but I'm not very active on this forum. There are other ways.
I have friends who have bought MUX on my recommendation. I have given lectures and after-show interviews where I mentioned MUX. I'm finishing off some patches that might be useful to other users. It's not much but it's something.

What I do know is that ideas are easily thrown around but it's a lot harder to implement them. In my line of work I'm often given ideas from people with good intentions that I have already heard, thought about or already implemented many times before. I appreciate the thought so I thank them politely, much like the dev is doing here.

There is a recent KVR thread, "Why do you choose the DAW that you do?"
349 people voted, and all reasons with more than 6% of votes were for:
Work Flow 24%
Stability 13%
Feature Set 10%
If we compare this with the changelog for MuLab/Mux 6.4, think the dev has his priorities right.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

solipsvs, i thought you were talking about the MuLab / MUX graphics themselves. For very good reasons i'll keep them as is. But so you were talking about the promotional graphics, right? Well then i have this question: If an ad banner is looking very trendy flashy, but then you click on the ad and see that the product looks different, is that a good thing? The MuTools products have a subtle streamlined look, not flashy indeed, but neat and functional imho. And i think an ad banner should have more or less the same look and feel. No?
Anyway, you and others are right i should give more attention to promo, and delegate that to people who are more experts in creating such things. Working point. As i already wrote. Thanks again.

you are the one who wanted suggestions on how to promote mux on windows. i tried to give you a perspective from a realism standpoint. take it or leave it. youre not forced by anything i say.

as far as the graphics go, yeah i didnt mean you should change the way the program looks or works. but you could probably make an ad campaign that looked a little more outlandish than the product its self. just like the preview of the movie looks better than the movie. sometimes. a movie poster attempts to roll all the splendor of the movie into one image and is often exaggerated drama style. dont promotional materials for electronic music tools attempt to show the product in an idealistic light? havent they often even made claims that turn out not to be truthful (not that this is a good practice)? who disagrees with me? the job of a product ad is to grab attention and make a claim as to the worth of the product, exaggerated or not.

also, just my opinion, but a less primary colorish palette might help with the product image. nobody else uses the palette you do. ever wonder why? this wouldnt change the graphics or functionality, and would signify an evolution. besides, people who want frou-frou colorssss can change them to whatever they want, right? it might be nice to offer many color skins etc. imho kids these days are more used to apocalyptic color schemes. warm fuzzy color schemes seem out of place in todays dystopia. and anyone who makes a case that the colors are somehow tied to the worth or identity is into the program for the wrong reason.

at some point i think a distinction has to be made: the opinion of your users is worth how much regarding future sales? this is where your priorities come to play. i think your users will support you no matter what you try. havent they done so in the past? its my observation that they just want to shield you from dissension. change is always stressful. uncomfortable topics that never get dealt with tend to keep people in the same rut they have been in.

Michael L wrote:There is a recent KVR thread, "Why do you choose the DAW that you do?"
349 people voted, and all reasons with more than 6% of votes were for:
Work Flow 24%
Stability 13%
Feature Set 10%
If we compare this with the changelog for MuLab/Mux 6.4, think the dev has his priorities right.
priorities wrt the operation of the program. what does that have to do with marketing the program? :wink:

you know who would be the best group to ask? newbies. power users, not so much. i mean its good to know what they value, but irrelevant to newbie sales. mux has great usability, i wouldnt waste my time otherwise.
Last edited by solipsvs on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I guess he also thought you were talking about the program graphics.

solipsvs wrote:but you could probably make an ad campaign that looked a little more outlandish than the product its self. dont promotional materials for electronic music tools attempt to show the product in an idealistic light?
Point understood, thx.
also, just my opinion, but a less primary colorish palette might help with the product image.
What do you mean with a "primary colorish palette" ?
MuLab's color palette is mainly subtle gray with functional color accents. And most colors are user editable. So i don't see the point.
the opinion of your users is worth how much regarding future sales? this is where your priorities come to play. i think your users will support you no matter what you try. havent they done so in the past? its my observation that they just want to shield you from dissension. change is always stressful. uncomfortable topics that never get dealt with tend to keep people in the same rut they have been in.
I think you're giving great feedback and suggestions, except for the "friended users" aspect, i think you're seeing ghosts there, imho. Correct me if i'm wrong by giving your explicit reasons to say so.

at a glance this just says all the colors of the rainbow, which is not my ideal but of course im only one dood. take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

thanks, its nice to be appreciated.

not as much so.

not as much so.

not as much so.

mutools wrote:
the opinion of your users is worth how much regarding future sales? this is where your priorities come to play. i think your users will support you no matter what you try. havent they done so in the past? its my observation that they just want to shield you from dissension. change is always stressful. uncomfortable topics that never get dealt with tend to keep people in the same rut they have been in.
I think you're giving great feedback and suggestions, except for the "friended users" aspect, i think you're seeing ghosts there, imho. Correct me if i'm wrong by giving your explicit reasons to say so.
well, as a general rule, its one or the other. either youre doing this to try to make as much money as you can or youre trying to foster a creative neighborhood and make everybody in the shire happy, hence your friends. but especially 'friends' if you refuse to change something about the program because you think it would not please your users to the detriment of marketability potential. in my opinion of course. does my opinion stink? thats up to you.

solipsvs wrote:at a glance this just says all the colors of the rainbow, which is not my ideal but of course im only one dood. take my opinion with a pinch of salt.
No prob, it are all user defined colors.

solipsvs wrote:well, as a general rule, its one or the other. either youre doing this to try to make as much money as you can or youre trying to foster a creative neighborhood
FYI: None of these as well as both, i'm trying to make nice balances between things. I'm trying to make a living by being relevantly creative.
and make everybody in the shire happy, hence your friends.
Maybe you forget one important 3rd party in this context: The Music!
but especially 'friends' if you refuse to change something about the program because you think it would not please your users to the detriment of marketability potential.
Did i refuse something relevant? If yes, what? Sorry if i'm missing something.

mutools wrote:
solipsvs wrote:at a glance this just says all the colors of the rainbow, which is not my ideal but of course im only one dood. take my opinion with a pinch of salt.
No prob, it are all user defined colors.
yes but do you expect a noob to make an irrational decision in your favor based upon the fact that they are able to change the colors if they want to? hmm. i would bet they make a snap decision based on what is presented, nothing more.
Last edited by solipsvs on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Did i refuse something relevant? If yes, what? Sorry if i'm missing something.
mutools wrote:About the graphics: That has been discussed here recently and i'll keep things as is.
mutools wrote:PS: If i have to choose between making the graphics more gamy/flashy (which will even not be appreciated by all users) and doing MUX for Mac i'll certainly choose for MUX for Mac.
just curious, why must it be one or the other?
solipsvs wrote:the opinion of your users is worth how much regarding future sales?
Last edited by solipsvs on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MUTOOLS”