Signal by Output - runs on the Kontakt engine

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote: Okay, fine. It's a... pulse engine... that plays back 40 GB of sample data. And is Kontakt-based.

Pulse engine. Wheeeee! We're living in the future. :party:

Haha, I definitely get where this comes from - I really find the Output marketing machine to be an odd duck - but I have to say that I haven't heard much of anything that's negative about the Output instruments from people who have used them. Whether it's a 'Pulse Engine' or a 'World in Reverse' or just a well-programmed/deep ROMpler/RAMpler, all I really care about is whether it's good enough to warrant the price tag, and people *do* seem to like both instruments...

:clown: :party: :tu:

tq wrote:By the way: I am not related to them, working for them, and I paid the full (intro) price. I am just happy with the product...
What is the intro price, and is it still available?

Hey guys, the Signal videos really didn't contain much audio of Signal....unless I missed a video. Would Signal be of use for New Age or Ethereal music? I own REV and find that it is great for this genre, but would be curious if Signal would also.

its a rompler and not worth the cost compared to omnisphere. one could be make far better sounds in omnispere 1 and omni 2 will blow omni 1 away.

spectrasonics are at the top of the food chain when it comes to samples. the cost of these kontakt based instruments are so not worth it. signal, 200 usd, xenosphere, 300 usd buying just those two kontakt libraies and you have already spent the cost of omnisphere. kontakt instruments are a money sinkhole for the rich. i do love my wave alchemy 808 909 synth though theres no way in hell i would pay 500 dollars for two big kontakt libraries when omnisphere 1 and 2 does it far better. makes me a bit angry really to see the price tags of these fad instruments. cause that's what they are.with so many new kontakt based instruments its just a fad.

@ AstralExistence - so your comment that "it's not worth it" is certainly based on user experience, right? You bought it and compared it intensively with Omnisphere, and then came to this well-infomed conclusion, no? Because if not, it's just trolling.

By the way, I also own Omnisphere, so I CAN compare the products (although it doesn't make much sense to do so, IMHO). And I can tell you that it IS worth it, even if you own Omni. That does not mean that Omni 2 won't be excellent - I definitely hope and think so. And for most people, Omni will be the better overall package, because it's much more complete and offers an immense bang for the buck. But Signal is not a "sinkhole for the rich". It's an excellently designed product for a specific purpose, and for many people - especially in trailer music - it will be a huge time saver, and probably pay off after one or two jobs. Nobody forces you to buy the "fad instruments", but ranting just because of a price tag, but never having used the product, is not helpful at all. By the way, what makes me angry are people with the mentality that sound developers should more or less give away their hard work for nothing. (I still remember the times when hardware romplers did cost several thousand dollars, and there wasn't even the option of software instruments btw...)

@ Quantum7: As far as I know, nearly all the audio in the videos are Signal. There's also a long walktrough (about 10+ minutes) accessible throught their website now, that also explains the various GUI pages. Maybe you want to check that one to get an impression of Signal.

Great post, tq.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

EvilDragon wrote:
mostlyjustj wrote:Real quesions: Is the Output stuff really good? Really useful? Exceptionally fun?
Real answers: Yes. Yes. YES!

I have scripted REV so yes, I admit having a bit of a bias, but I have fun with it even today, over a year after release...
That's a strange thing to say. I have plenty of VSTs that are over five years old that I still have fun with.

mostlyjustj wrote: ...Whether it's a 'Pulse Engine' or a 'World in Reverse' or just a well-programmed/deep ROMpler/RAMpler, all I really care about is whether it's good enough to warrant the price tag, and people *do* seem to like both instruments...
How many people? Two? Seem to like? This is anecdotal.

basslinemaster wrote:
mostlyjustj wrote: ...Whether it's a 'Pulse Engine' or a 'World in Reverse' or just a well-programmed/deep ROMpler/RAMpler, all I really care about is whether it's good enough to warrant the price tag, and people *do* seem to like both instruments...
How many people? Two? Seem to like? This is anecdotal.
Both appear to be involved with music for film/video, which is the target market. And also appear to include all those people in this thread who have actually used it even if that is a grand total one so far. So, I'd be inclined to go with those anecdotes rather than anyone who hasn't actually used it or even doesn't have an idea what it's for.

It's a pretty safe bet that if you don't do music for video, this is not the Kontakt library you are looking for. Rev is a bit more general purpose than this one. The question is then whether, for people who do that sort of thing, it's good value for money vs, say, a Heavyocity library or nothing at all.

Well... I ordered the Signal/Rev bundle, they are downloading now. I had almost enough in my Paypal account from Bandcamp sales to cover the cost. Now I'll need to save up (again) for the Omnisphere upgrade. :phones:

Gamma-UT wrote: It's a pretty safe bet that if you don't do music for video, this is not the Kontakt library you are looking for. Rev is a bit more general purpose than this one. The question is then whether, for people who do that sort of thing, it's good value for money vs, say, a Heavyocity library or nothing at all.
Yes, it's certainly following well defined "sound aesthetics" that are great for trailer music, TV commercials, and maybe games. But some of the more aggressive sounds would also fit EDM and dance genres, while the pads and quiet sounds might even fit some new age stuff. It's probably not rock, singer-songwriter etc., though, at least not 'out of the box'... ;-)

Btw, I wouldn't say that REV is more general purpose. Signal offers the option to switch off the pulse/arp/looping engine, and you can also make it very subtle so that it just makes the sounds more 'alive' (you can have two independent rhythms per sound source, and you can mix two sound sources, so the movements can be very complex). Again, if you are interested, have a look at the extended walkthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSHLjXHZijY

When compared to the Samplelogic and Heavyocity instruments (I own most of the Heavyocity stuff, and some Samplelogic libraries), I think the Output offerings are a bit more targeted at a specific purpose, but within that well defined purpose, they offer tons of flexibility to make the sounds 'your own'; and the overall sound is absolutely fantastic. Personally, I would rank REV and Signal among my best Kontakt libraries - but that is also my personal taste. If you hate that specific "produced" sound you can hear in the videos, it's not for you, I guess. (Oh, and indeed, it is not unlike Omni in that respect, as it also has a very rich, 'expensive' sound to it. But again, I think it doesn't make much sense to compare the two, as they are totally different beasts.)

O.k., I was very enthusiastic about Rev, and now I am equally enthusiastic about Signal - and still, Output didn't send me any store vouchers yet. :P

Sounds great and $199 is a fair price for it. I'll buy it even i have Omni too but anyway it makes no sense to compare it. :dog:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

How easy would it be to add your own samples?
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

You can only do it by replacing already mapped samples with your own.

Return to “Instruments”