what slicer do you recommend? i got Slicex but dont like it....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the gui is too small and somehow i dont like it much.... never liked it.
i saw VICE and it seems like a really nice slicer, how is it compared to SLICEX's functions?

i wanna use it for drumloop chopping (having single percussions chopped) and also for vocalchopping.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I use Vice and i frickn love it. I also have slicex and i hate it. Slicex has too many hidden menus and options and its gui is way to small. I use Vice for chopping drums, samples from records, and any other samples i find. Its gui is also resizable which is awesome, and they're always updating and adding things. Ya i would def recommend Vice. You can demo it im sure youll like it

As a Phatmatik Pro enthusiast (which is 32bit only and arguably showing its age) I like the look of Vice too and think I would be demoing and probably buying if I hadn't bought Egoist a few months back. Does seem like Vice is ever so slightly too expensive for what it is IMO... Just based on its actual features/compatibility etc, but again, I like the look of it. Next time it is 20% or more off, I will be looking at it properly. Annoyed to miss the introductory sale etc.

Often using Egoist to slice now, as I say, which is one of those awkward plugs that does too much and too little at the same time. I enjoy it, I use it, I recommend it, but it falls between being a full-on slicer and full-on groovebox affair. A few extra bonus features and it becomes like Transfuser... Fewer bonus features and more versatility re: core functionality and it becomes king of the slicers. I mean, it's GREAT, but it's also not great. If you want to play around and come up with some cool stuff quickly, you can, but if you want to take proper control and have set ideas in mind, you can't always get what you want.

I do feel like I've made the most out of how it works (rather than scratching the surface and feeling unsatisfied, as with some other plugs) and, in particular, got some awesome choppy vocal results that I just wouldn't have achieved otherwise... So, it pays its way and I make use of it. Just that it's more of a fun alternative than a serious slicing solution, which I'm sure is how Sugar Bytes would pitch it anyway (also, the drums and bass seemed quite promising at first, but gradually I stopped using them.) But whatever! Basically I still have a slicing hole to fill... I think. Vice may be able to fill it. Can't trust myself to demo, as I will want to buy if it works exactly as I hope! Need to hang on for some "slicing" of that price. I can get by with current tools without big issues for now.

This one works great!

You are currently reading my signature.

The reason i bought Vice was because i needed an x64 alternative to phatmatik pro and using slicex was to damn frustrating. Vice does everything you want a slicer/chopper to do. Now im back to sampling again. Money well spent

^^^
Ahh, Jesus. Now I really want it. But the price! I've spent my slicing money... Well, can't hurt to demo...

(it CAN hurt.)

You wont regret it thats for sure :tu:

Last edited by pottering on Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ableton Live. I mean it's a CPU hog and has PDC issues... but... manual clip slicing and rearranging is real quick and easy.

Caine123 wrote:the gui is too small and somehow i dont like it much.... never liked it.
i saw VICE and it seems like a really nice slicer, how is it compared to SLICEX's functions?

i wanna use it for drumloop chopping (having single percussions chopped) and also for vocalchopping.
Personally, I wouldn't spend money on tools that FL Studio already has in it's arsenal. I wasn't a big fan of slicex- until I really took the time to learn more about it. Slicex, is nothing more than various FL tools you already use separately, combined as a single tool.

There are a number of ways to chop with FL's standard tools, not to mention the fact FL imports far more file types than Vice's .wav and Aiff only import. Why would you need more than Edison to chop samples, especially since you can drag any selection you make in edison into a folder, Slicex, a sampler channel, or even FL's original Fruity slicer- which is actually incorporated into Edison.

Another cool thing about Slicex and Edison: is the fact you can convert slice markers into region markers which is better for making samples that don't have clicks, since you can adjust the start and end points with region markers. You also can export a loop with slice markers or can export as individual samples. Use "export for sampler use" if you don't want markers in your exported samples.

Here's a video to check. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skWbzPPtAPo

Last edited by pottering on Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Egoist and Vice are both pretty great. I also quite like AIR's Transfuser 2 for this. That thing is a beast.

You can also use MUX Modular to slice samples and do almost anything with each slice. You can also name the keys that play a slice and that will be visible in the piano roll if your host supports this.

Any good oldschool sampler, like Shortcircuit, which is free. Nuance is also good.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Transfuser 2 without a doubt.

Return to “Instruments”