Help with Purchasing a New Audio Interface

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to upgrade my audio interface. I’m currently mixing mainly on headphones as I’ve lost my spare room/studio to our new baby and just have a small space in the living room for now until we move. I have a hifi which I can use on occasion but obviously it’s not ideal.

Currently running a Zoom Tac 2 through the hifi amp as the Zoom can’t drive my DT880 Pros. I was looking at getting an Apollo Twin but as usual when researching I came across convertor quality etc.
From what I’ve researched the general consensus is that convertor quality on the Apollo is better than the Zoom. I don’t really want the UAD stuff. Not that I don’t respect its quality more that I’ll get sucked in and spend loads on plug-ins.

I’ve wondered going up another step up say a Prism Lyra 1. I know it’s possible overkill now but when we move I’ll be building a custom studio so I’d be buying for the future also.
Do you think it’s worth the investment if I mainly use headphones? I only do electronic music. Just had some tracks signed but I’m still learning, will I really be able to tell a difference.

I also have a Xone 4D with digital outputs, should I focus my money on just convertors and let the Xone do the interface side of things.

It’s a total minefield. I don’t have an opportunity to test anything.
If you had around £1000 what would you do?

1 - Stick with what I have?
2 – Get the Twin and possibly a Headphone Amp (SPL Phonitor Mini)
3 – Get something like the Lyra
4 – Use the Xone and buy a seperate DAC (if so which one)
Thanks
Cheers Rokki21

Its about diminishing returns. In order to hear the difference, youll need better monitoring. Money spent better else where IMHO.

Yeah I know. Until I move house monitors and treated room are out of the equation.

Do you think I would see a quality difference moving from the zoom to Apollo?
Cheers Rokki21

If you don't use the inputs, I dont think you will.

No I won't need the inputs. Thanks for the advice.
Cheers Rokki21

I totally agree with one of the other responses -- a high-end converter makes little sense if (a) you are not recording audio and either using samples or soft synths AND (b) your monitoring environment is not acoustically treated. That said, if I were in your situation, I would go with UAD's Apollo Twin. In my studio, we have a Lynx Aurora 8, Avid Eleven Rack, and the Firewire card for our Tascam DM3200 mixer. We're about to get a Crane Song Avocet which we will set up as the D/A converter directly coming from the DAW to our monitors but still use the Aurora as our A/D front-end for tracking instruments and vocals.

I have not personally worked with the Apollo but we have 4 UAD-2 cards in our studio and UAD's usually stuff is top-notch. I've heard no complaints about the Apollo Twin. I'm actually thinking of picking one up for portable use.

Thanks

Just for info. I got the twin and paired it with the SPL Phonitor Mini. It's definately a step up from my previous set-up.

Loving the UAD Plug-Ins also.

Thanks

Rokki
Cheers Rokki21

[edit]NVM, just saw your last post. Good luck!

Holy moly that Lyra thing is expensive! Have you considered RME? RME babyface is quite compact and can hang with these other guys, especially when you don't need that extra I/O.

Yeah audio interfaces are stupid expensive. Everything is. Work work work. Got to stop posting when depressed.

I use a cakewalk (Roland, really) VS-100. Pretty nice. Use DT990's from the headphone out, they sound great. Not so great with Sennheiser HD650s.

Pity I think the VS-100 is discontinued. Nice low latency though. Real nice.

I think its replacement is the Roland quad-capture or something.

If the zoom isn't driving the headphones well enough, I'd get a headphone amp. I did have to get one to power the Sennheisers only to find out no matter how much juice you give them that's... that's actually how those acclaimed cans sound. Lovely detailed low mids though.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”