Using the Intel Xeon Phi for VST + VSTi processing

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone made any headway with software development towards utilizing the massive power of these pci-express supercomputers?

If these could be utilized for VST and VSTi processing then wait times for track exporting and rendering could be a thing of the past. Imagine live playback of a 700 VST track project or development of a VSTi which uses completely uncompressed audio samples?

It'd be amazing. Does anyone know if this card already supports DAW processing?

jsbull23 wrote:Has anyone made any headway with software development towards utilizing the massive power of these pci-express supercomputers?
I presume you mean 'audio software development'.

To which the answer will be undoubteldy remain 'no' for anything outside academia or a personal self-only project.
If these could be utilized for VST and VSTi processing then wait times for track exporting and rendering could be a thing of the past.
If you had £4K to spend on regular processors, eg a pair of 12-core Xeons, then for whatever audio workload you're imagining, it would already be a thing of the past.
Imagine live playback of a 700 VST track project
If the Phi could manage it with whatever imaginary VST you're proposing, then £4K worth of regular Xeons could.
or development of a VSTi which uses completely uncompressed audio samples?
In case you hadnt realised, software samplers have been using 'completely uncompressed audio samples' for more than 15 years.
Does anyone know if this card already supports DAW processing?
Of course it doesnt.

Seriously, we get 'some new hardware board has appeared, now all our VST will run faster' about twice a year here. With two proprietry exceptions (UAD cards and ProTools hardware) hardware-accelerated plugins do not impact the overall audio market even slightly, let alone the aspirational-hobbyist level that predominates at KVR.

Sales of an exceptional audio plugin can be in the low thousands range; it just isnt sane to consider rewriting them to target the 3 people on the planet who'll fork out for a board like this. And yes, they'd need rewritten, probably substantially (especially anything dependent on an OS, from file access to UI).
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

hmm,
I have 2 3 core dual Xeon towers in my garage,
how do I convince my Dad to let me play with his servers hehe?

nix808 wrote:hmm,
I have 2 3 core dual Xeon towers in my garage,
how do I convince my Dad to let me play with his servers hehe?
rootkit.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

hehe

fingers crossed he's going to need them, truth be told
pretty imposing things though

I learnt about redundant power supplies coz i just thought wtf?! when I saw them set up-
and modern tape too

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”