Quick Comparison of sub-$50 general softsynths

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EDIT: Updated - I did a replacement vid for this with useful links to fuller reviews and better sound levels...

I've done a brief youtube video looking at Hybrid 3, Z3ta+2 and Synthmaster 2.6.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olwy3BTGax4
Last edited by excessional on Sun May 03, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

excessional wrote:I've done a brief youtube video showing some of the differences in colour/personality of patches in Hybrid 3, Z3ta+2 and Synthmaster 2.6. I also use Synth 1 patches for comparison.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/WSJdyV8TRxk
Thanks, but is there a way you could raise the overall audio level of the video--or, at least, your voice? I had to crank my volume up (and I had just been listening to other videos on YouTube and on UVI.net), because your voice was quiet--and then the synths were comparatively loud.

Also, it might have been nice to hear similar bass or pad (or whatever) sounds from each, to have a better idea how they sound side-by-side. A simple square-wave bass or triangle-wave pad built in each one would give a good idea of the modulation, filters and effects each synth offers (if you wanted to showcase that).

Thanks for the comparison, though!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I'll look at the volume levels thanks, though they sound OK on my PC and tablet...

I wasn't really going to try to cover sound design/synthesis for 4 different synths in a 15 minute video.
Sadowick has about 25 youtube vids on sound design in Synthmaster 2.6 alone.

Whilst people will no doubt dig deep into synthesis and sound design (and can do this on any of the synths featured to be honest) the target audience of this vid is beginners thinking of buying their first synth.

I think all of us agree that it's better (both for increasing output and learning) to get one general synth and learn to use it well rather than collecting them like confetti, so you may as well pick a synth that has an overall 'sound' that you like in terms of the preset banks. Also a lot of people just want to write tunes/make music and so what a synth sounds like out of the box is important.

And what did surprise me listening to an awful lot of the patches in each of Hybrid 3, Z3ta+2 and Synthmaster was how consistently different the synths do sound out of the box..Hybrid is clean wide and bright with a lot of top end, Z3ta+2 is harsher, grungier with powerful low end and Synthmaster is warmer and a bit muddier - at least in general that seems to be the default position.

I think if you wanted a budget synth for prog or euphoric EDM for example then Hybrid 3 stands out for that.
For dirtier tracks then maybe you'd use Z3ta+2.
For just picking up usable patches on a budget then Synthmaster player is great value.
For learning sound design and really getting under the hood then Zeta+2 or Synthmaster should be your choice as there are so many resources out there on the web - possibly if you are happy paying for some vids and are going to use Syntorial then go with Z3ta+2, if you prefer to get under the hood of a fully functioning desert island synth as cheaply as possible then Synthmaster and the Sadowick tutorials are the way to go...
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs

Isnt Hybrid3 only in your chosen pricerange for a short while? Might be worth mentioning that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I think all of them have list prices over $50 to be honest. Synthmaster is around $70, Z3ta+2 $100 or so and Hybrid 3 $149 at full price.
At least twice in the past 6 months each of them has been on sale at $50 or under though, and I do say in the vid that you will need to look out for sales to get them for that...

excessional wrote:I'll look at the volume levels thanks, though they sound OK on my PC and tablet...

I wasn't really going to try to cover sound design/synthesis for 4 different synths in a 15 minute video.
Sadowick has about 25 youtube vids on sound design in Synthmaster 2.6 alone.

Whilst people will no doubt dig deep into synthesis and sound design (and can do this on any of the synths featured to be honest) the target audience of this vid is beginners thinking of buying their first synth.

I think all of us agree that it's better (both for increasing output and learning) to get one general synth and learn to use it well rather than collecting them like confetti, so you may as well pick a synth that has an overall 'sound' that you like in terms of the preset banks. Also a lot of people just want to write tunes/make music and so what a synth sounds like out of the box is important.

And what did surprise me listening to an awful lot of the patches in each of Hybrid 3, Z3ta+2 and Synthmaster was how consistently different the synths do sound out of the box..Hybrid is clean wide and bright with a lot of top end, Z3ta+2 is harsher, grungier with powerful low end and Synthmaster is warmer and a bit muddier - at least in general that seems to be the default position.

I think if you wanted a budget synth for prog or euphoric EDM for example then Hybrid 3 stands out for that.
For dirtier tracks then maybe you'd use Z3ta+2.
For just picking up usable patches on a budget then Synthmaster player is great value.
For learning sound design and really getting under the hood then Zeta+2 or Synthmaster should be your choice as there are so many resources out there on the web - possibly if you are happy paying for some vids and are going to use Syntorial then go with Z3ta+2, if you prefer to get under the hood of a fully functioning desert island synth as cheaply as possible then Synthmaster and the Sadowick tutorials are the way to go...
All good points. I have Z3ta+ 2 (and the original), and I agree with your assessment of it. I tried Synthmaster, and I really like the sounds and the features, but the player just left me cold. It reminded me of the AAS Player, where all you can really adjust is the amount of reverb on the preset. The Synthmaster player is a bit better, but doesn't come near the depth and breadth of what the synth can do. I haven't tried Hybrid 3.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Bump as I have replaced the video with a new one...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”