Favorite sound synthesis? VA? FM? Additive? Physical Modeling? Sampling?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Personally, I like physical modeling the best - like AAS String Studio, Tassman, FL Sakura and Ogun. It's often unpredictable, challenging and forces exploration. Extreme settings make really cool sound effects and textures that aren't so easily made in other types of synthesis. Add some reverb, delay and other effects, and its pure cinematic/ambient goodness. I love those semi-realistic fantasy instruments that sound "like" something in the real world, but with a very strong "ethnic" and "other" quality to them.

Imagine if a developer created a dedicated PM synth that fused the Hartmann Neuron and Yamaha VL1 together, and did it in a user-friendly, understandable way. With proper integration of typical VA/additive elements, filters, LFO's, envelopes, and a hearty modulation matrix, it would be a powerhouse.
Zebra gets pretty close, but still misses some elements unique to PM synthesis.

Since the Neuron software synth is now free for Mac users, a developer could download it, explore it, apply those ideas to a new Windows synth, and cha-ching...profit :). Even better if he has a friend that will let him borrow a Yamaha VL 1 for research purposes.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

You could have done a poll :)

Anyway, old guy -> VA all the way 8)

You forgot Frame Synthesis and Spectral Synthesis :wink:

Or are these methods offsprings.

Like sauce, what are the Mother Synthesis methods? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_sauce

All of them. And I'd like to see them all in one synth and I'd like to see that synth be a modular one, totally open ended with 100 different module types.

I know...when pigs fly.

depends on the sound....

Bass - Fm

Pads - analog

plucks - additive

brass - Phase Distortion

strings and acustic - rompler
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I like them all but my less favourite is sample based synthesis.

I love physical modeling. I just wish there was more of it out there (especially in hardware) and that it was designed to be [presented to users] like a physical object construction kit, rather than some hybrid between an advanced maths class and analog synthesizers.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

It's like asking me to choose my favorite of my children. Not gonna happen.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Thanks for the note about the Neuron synth. I was not aware.

I have to repeat my vote for physical modeling. My most recent piece wouldn't have existed if not for the Yamaha VL70-m and a wind controller. I suck at wind instruments, but the expression control over the physical attributes of the synth patches lead to an ultimately very real sounding bit of brass. I could've done similar with a keyboard, mod wheel, and after touch, maybe, but not without a physical model. Samplers haven't yet given me the expressive detail I desire. Even the VL70-m was lacking in available depth in the breath control (thanks, MIDI), so I can't imagine doing the same with samples (taking up vast storage space for what's handled better in modeling).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I prefer ... all :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

For me it would have to be wavetable synthesis - I see it as a cross between VA, FM, additive and physical modelling - it can kind of mimic all four of them but sounds often more organic to me - while it does not try to hide that it is a synthetic, it somehow does not sound so artificial to me. Yest at the same time it is quite easy to program. Concrete FX Kubik for me was basically the best synthesizer ever made, be it hardware or software.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I love substractive synths for classic trance leads (supersaw & acid) as well as bass, but they feel limited in terms of modulation. I mean, you can only modulate picth or filter, or add tremolo at most. To make interesting sounds, I turned to wavetable and FM.

FM is tempting as it allows to creatively shape the spectrum based on mathematical relationships, but it's difficult to make sound right. On the other hand, FM is unmatched when you need to make weird noises in large amounts.

Recently I tend to use many different sounds to fill the mix, as all the techniques sound different and add variety to the track. I mean, there is finite number of ways in which you can stack a bunch of saws. Adding for example FM harpichord or granular noises gives whole new level or sound which doesn't conflict with already existing parts. Also, I'm experimenting with layered pads - take supersaws, evolving FMs, granular clouds and some sampled violins to make the texture incredibly rich and seemless.

As to physical modelling, I'm torn. Ableton Suite has a number of physical-modelled instruments, but they suck and no one uses them for any purpose. On the other hand, it also features Corpus resonator which is the holy grail of resynthesis and I use it to add more natural sound to most of novelty stuff.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Current favourite is Additive. Synths like Razor, Lazer Bass & Harmor.
Fight Apathy or don't.

Is Imageline Drumaxx physical modelling?

By FM, do you mean non analog sound sources then?
Additive... the only experience i've had with it was DiscoDSP's synth a long time ago. The problem i have with it and wavetable is that unless you modulate thing a lot it can sound really dull :(

Did you guys see the 60k€ monster synth at MusikMesse? You can do a lot with analog. Crazy oscillator sections.

I think i have to say VA. But im not sure what to count the waveforms from the latest system-1 update. FM, FM with sync, voice-thing, cowbell, some multi-wave thing that possibly could count as wavetable and a noisy saw. Especially the FM with sync sounds awesome!

Sampling is cool! For drums and loops :) But as a synth source? The last VST trying out that in my memory is Ravity http://sonic-cat.com/ravity/ . I think it would be very cool with a modern synth of that kind. Nice modelled filters with a hint of EMU. Exotic waveforms without too much of a care of multi sampling. Bring on the artefacts!
Oh silly me .. Nexus is all about samples, isn't it?
:hug:

VA and Wavetable. I'd like to get into granular synthesis too, when i find the time, it sounds very interesting too. I not so like FM, but you can also make some interesting stuff with it. But it's enough for me if a VA has FM capabilities (Dune 1 does a great job there), not so much into pure FM synths.

Return to “Instruments”