One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

idfpower wrote:
rp314 wrote:
The only real long-term downside to such behavior is that it might tend to drive away some who are very talented and not very thick-skinned in that regard. The idea is generally to try to do well but equally important is to achieve that against the best. Additionally, for some it might be much more fun to have such folks around, forced to listen to, and hopefully comment, on their entry.

That said, it's really not easy to prevent tactical voting, and it's probably not the main reason why one's transcendental work is not always recognized as such by the other participants. :x :hihi:
Agreed on both counts.

That's what I was trying to say: although tactical voting and all that does happen, there are many other reasons (not all objective) why one's track might not score big in OSC. Sometimes it may simply not strike a chord, no matter how well is composed or produced.
Such a thing should really be shunned for these competitions, just one or two such fellows could skew the results beyond repair imo. If there are such users that deviate from the normal voting by a huge percentage they should be warned, then straight up banned from participating if they continue, imo. I was at positive 2% but noticed one was at -60% and for two months in a row. This could be intentional or it could just be random voting, but if it was the latter I'd assume some more 4 and 5's would be thrown in there. But dishing out 30, 2 votes :o then telling everyone they voted and it was a good round? :o
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:
psmacmur wrote:
@Tjgoa: if there's one thing I've learned from OSC, it's that SAMPLES ARE FOR CHUMPS :evil: . Don't give in! Synths for the win! :ud:
Are you talking about streaming to samples then arranging them? Had no choice to save cpu..I tried my best not to use presets with samples and nearly certain I didn't, and no way ever any outside ones, so I'm a little confused?
I believe he was referring to using samples instead of synths in your own track. As an OSC'er, you should know you can do all your percussion and such with synths. :)

Tjgoa wrote:
idfpower wrote:
rp314 wrote:
The only real long-term downside to such behavior is that it might tend to drive away some who are very talented and not very thick-skinned in that regard. The idea is generally to try to do well but equally important is to achieve that against the best. Additionally, for some it might be much more fun to have such folks around, forced to listen to, and hopefully comment, on their entry.

That said, it's really not easy to prevent tactical voting, and it's probably not the main reason why one's transcendental work is not always recognized as such by the other participants. :x :hihi:
Agreed on both counts.

That's what I was trying to say: although tactical voting and all that does happen, there are many other reasons (not all objective) why one's track might not score big in OSC. Sometimes it may simply not strike a chord, no matter how well is composed or produced.
Such a thing should really be shunned for these competitions, just one or two such fellows could skew the results beyond repair imo. If there are such users that deviate from the normal voting by a huge percentage they should be warned, then straight up banned from participating if they continue, imo. I was at positive 2% but noticed one was at -60% and for two months in a row. This could be intentional or it could just be random voting, but if it was the latter I'd assume some more 4 and 5's would be thrown in there. But dishing out 30, 2 votes :o then telling everyone they voted and it was a good round? :o
Well, I brought it up a while ago that tactical voting and cliques are common in forums and contests like these but was pretty much shot down immediately.

Trust me, it happens. Is it common here? Again, I haven't been here long enough to detect patterns, but I assure you that I'm going to start accumulating these results and analyzing them. I've already got some suspicions but right now that's all they are.

I may not be any good at making music, but I am damned good at flushing out conspiracies. LOL.

z.prime wrote:
Tjgoa wrote:
psmacmur wrote:
@Tjgoa: if there's one thing I've learned from OSC, it's that SAMPLES ARE FOR CHUMPS :evil: . Don't give in! Synths for the win! :ud:
Are you talking about streaming to samples then arranging them? Had no choice to save cpu..I tried my best not to use presets with samples and nearly certain I didn't, and no way ever any outside ones, so I'm a little confused?
I believe he was referring to using samples instead of synths in your own track. As an OSC'er, you should know you can do all your percussion and such with synths. :)
Yeah, no kidding, and it's the best part of the osc-- limiting yourself to force creativeness. I spent quite a bit of time with the drums and had fun doing it. I didn't use any samples period :P
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

wagtunes wrote:
Tjgoa wrote:
idfpower wrote:
rp314 wrote:

Agreed on both counts.

Well, I brought it up a while ago that tactical voting and cliques are common in forums and contests like these but was pretty much shot down immediately.

Trust me, it happens. Is it common here? Again, I haven't been here long enough to detect patterns, but I assure you that I'm going to start accumulating these results and analyzing them. I've already got some suspicions but right now that's all they are.

I may not be any good at making music, but I am damned good at flushing out conspiracies. LOL.
Well it's pretty obvious when you see the spreadsheets and how each person voted and if there are some users way off the mark on all counts, especially the ones that scored higher. There are also two other bits of information, the generosity score and some other one, if this numbers deviate a lot then they are in red. For which there were two this month. The same user was red last month too. I won't name names but its easy to see for yourself. Maybe someone can explain this two other bits more in detail.

TTU Youtube

I haven't read this much ado about the voting thing since OSC61 when one really awesome pro musician got really furious about a few 1's and 2's he got.

Congratulations to the winners!! :)

A bit amused by the talk of conspiracies in the voting here though.. It's a competition guys - and it's for fun. Just get back on that horse and run a bit faster next time.. I know I will! :)

Cheers! :)
Changing handle to Subject36..

A minute or two after voting started, I became dissatisfied with my mix. Well, and some kind people pointed out that it was not very good.

So, today I did a remix. :phones:

I am not sure if it is really all that much better, but it is louder. Oh, and about 45 seconds shorted...for some reason people got bored when one section repeated over and over again with no end in sight. :?

Anyway, in-case you are interested, here it is. :)

https://soundcloud.com/groksynth/pine-needle-tower
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” - Albert Einstein

https://soundcloud.com/groksynth

Congrats to the TOP 53 , especially to Jasinski, well done everybody :party: :hug:
And thanks for the comments on SC.

Prizes: I'll abstain from picking one this month and pass on the first pick to Z.Prime.

Diversion looks like a very nice synth, but I'll also pass this time (there was a tie, after all). But all synths will be rendered obsolete when the BSE is done. Heheh...

First pick goes to you, H-Man! :)

doctorbob wrote:
Mojo42 wrote: You see that my opinion is very close to all what idfpower has said and he is way more experianced in OSC as I am. Better listen to your "brother" idfpower :) I think this is a very exemplary attitude as well as also Doctorbob never loses his humour and good mood although I could understand if he would. This is a matured attitude we can learn from.
I agree with you about all you said, so I won't repost/quote it all :)

And you are right, I never lose my sense of humour :hihi: . I've been on this planet long enough to know that if you do, you are onto a loser all the way down. Yes, I get disappointed, and so I should, but then, I'm here to have fun and learn. One day you'll all love what I present to you :borg:. But until then, you'll get my usual more traditionally based song style melded to the synth in question, which is course a big part of the challenge in the first place. I pride myself in being able to work across many genres of music (heck, it's all music!) - I was sound engineer/mixer for a Caravan styled band in the 70's (quite serious and carefully played stuff), then in the 80's I did the same for a 12 piece dance/disco/ska band (simply fun fun fun all the way!). Recording was simply stereo onto a 2 track Revox. My own stuff from the late 60's onwards though was very avante garde experimental electronic stuff - mainly done on a EMS Synthi-A. So, my ear and humour(!!!) has been firmly entrenched in the electronic and mixing/production side of music.

If people like my music that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too.
If people like me, that's good, if they don't, well, not my problem eh?
If people like what I say, fine and good, if they don't, well, we just beg to differ.

So, the upshot is, I'll be here for many more OSC's and look forward to your comments on the Soundcloud pages. I do try to reply to comments, especially those where I need to maybe "fix" something on the track which my poor old ears have missed :dog:

So, folks, I'm still smiling ...

If anyone wants to PM me and let me know what I could improve on my last track, that would be great. Obviously, "do a different style!" is not quite what I want to hear ... or do I :?:

Cheers all,

dB
Cool :tu: I`m glad to hear this :D
wagtunes wrote:
doctorbob wrote:
Mojo42 wrote: You see that my opinion is very close to all what idfpower has said and he is way more experianced in OSC as I am. Better listen to your "brother" idfpower :) I think this is a very exemplary attitude as well as also Doctorbob never loses his humour and good mood although I could understand if he would. This is a matured attitude we can learn from.
I agree with you about all you said, so I won't repost/quote it all :)

And you are right, I never lose my sense of humour :hihi: . I've been on this planet long enough to know that if you do, you are onto a loser all the way down. Yes, I get disappointed, and so I should, but then, I'm here to have fun and learn. One day you'll all love what I present to you :borg:. But until then, you'll get my usual more traditionally based song style melded to the synth in question, which is course a big part of the challenge in the first place. I pride myself in being able to work across many genres of music (heck, it's all music!) - I was sound engineer/mixer for a Caravan styled band in the 70's (quite serious and carefully played stuff), then in the 80's I did the same for a 12 piece dance/disco/ska band (simply fun fun fun all the way!). Recording was simply stereo onto a 2 track Revox. My own stuff from the late 60's onwards though was very avante garde experimental electronic stuff - mainly done on a EMS Synthi-A. So, my ear and humour(!!!) has been firmly entrenched in the electronic and mixing/production side of music.

If people like my music that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too.
If people like me, that's good, if they don't, well, not my problem eh?
If people like what I say, fine and good, if they don't, well, we just beg to differ.

So, the upshot is, I'll be here for many more OSC's and look forward to your comments on the Soundcloud pages. I do try to reply to comments, especially those where I need to maybe "fix" something on the track which my poor old ears have missed :dog:

So, folks, I'm still smiling ...

If anyone wants to PM me and let me know what I could improve on my last track, that would be great. Obviously, "do a different style!" is not quite what I want to hear ... or do I :?:

Cheers all,

dB
What a great attitude. Maybe in another 10 years I'll learn to adopt it. LOL.
Wagtunes this is more a question of self confidence than of age :wink:
But as I see you are making progress in this issue :D
wagtunes wrote:I've had a night to sleep on all this and get the disappointment out of my system and I came to realize that my love for creating music is still stronger than any disappointment I could ever feel from some contest.

I've been writing songs since 1979 and have 1 published tune and a song contest finalist award to show for it. That's it. I could wallpaper my room with all the rejection letters I've gotten from publishers. Still, I keep at it. I doubt that's ever going to change no matter how many "failures" I have.

So I'll be back in this zoo-fest again next month, provided the synth chosen actually plays in my DAW. It has problems with 32 bit plugs and sometimes just spits them out all over the place. So far I've been lucky with Synthmaster (64 bit) and Eclipses and Dexed (some minor problems but still workable) so I'm hoping whatever gets chosen for May will give me yet another chance to show off my skillz.

See you all in the funny paperz.
:clap: :)
Tjgoa wrote: Such a thing should really be shunned for these competitions, just one or two such fellows could skew the results beyond repair imo. If there are such users that deviate from the normal voting by a huge percentage they should be warned, then straight up banned from participating if they continue, imo.
:tu: signed 8)
elBeppo wrote:Congratulations to the winners!! :)

A bit amused by the talk of conspiracies in the voting here though.. It's a competition guys - and it's for fun. Just get back on that horse and run a bit faster next time.. I know I will! :)

Cheers! :)
Yeah, but what is wrong with fun and fairplay? :wink:
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

z.prime wrote:First pick goes to you, H-Man! :)
Wow thx guys :hug: I will choose a prize thanks, probably the one prize that can help me more than any other ...the Balance Mastering :)

Thanks again all, over to you Lemmike... :arrow:

H-man wrote:
z.prime wrote:First pick goes to you, H-Man! :)
Wow thx guys :hug: I will choose a prize thanks, probably the one prize that can help me more than any other ...the Balance Mastering :)

Thanks again all, over to you Lemmike... :arrow:
Thanks everyone :) Happy to have made it to top 5, didn't see that coming.

Also thanks to everyone who commented on my track, appreciate them all. Hope to get better at commenting myself, hopefully I'll have more time for that in future OSCs.

As for the prize, well I would love a copy of SynthMaster - had great fun using the Player version this month, so a step up would be cool!

Oh yeah didn't mean to imply I thought you'd used samples in OSC. :dog: It was more that, I like the synth-only philosophy so much that I feel like samples are cheating now, even outside of OSC. And your synth percussion is so perfect I don't see how you'd benefit from samples, except for possibly sampling your own kick. Most other percussion benefits from the subtle variations that synths are great at adding. Anyway... I meant no disrespect, I :love: your tracks; your productions already seem release quality without samples.

Tjgoa wrote:
z.prime wrote:
Tjgoa wrote:
psmacmur wrote:
Yeah, no kidding, and it's the best part of the osc-- limiting yourself to force creativeness. I spent quite a bit of time with the drums and had fun doing it. I didn't use any samples period :P

Return to “Instruments”