RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some random examples:
Beck
BoC
The JDs
Aimee Mann
Ezekiel Honig
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Paul Hardcastle

dewgong wrote:
Josmoker wrote:Amon Tobin would be an obvious example I guess.
What did you think of ISAM? I found it a little cold, I much prefer Bricolage and Chaos Theory :)
I saw him perform it live, and it was AMAZING! ... [wearing the T-shirt, now]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

James Blake's early stuff was astonishing. Used dynamic range in a way which was pretty much unheard of in dance music. It's interesting how 'unshocking' this stuff sounds just 5 years on. That ultra sparse, glossy 'pop R&B' influenced sound pretty much became the lingua franca of the London music scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia5D2HpiQQI

More recently I've come to appreciate tracks which deploy very simple sounds in interesting ways. The lo-fi techno sound has become a wildly oversaturated space over the last 2 or so years, and so tracks like this which achieve a lo-fi vibe through the use of a very restricted sound palette as opposed to slathering standard techno tunes in layers of artificial distortion and tape hiss are a welcome breath of fresh air. There's plenty of distortion and hiss here too, but the sounds themselves are almost reminiscent of something you'd hear coming out of a university electronic studio in the 1960s.

https://soundcloud.com/whities/004_mino ... ce-glamour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_VDDhV6A9M

I've always enjoyed the sound design that Hybrid does. Some of it is actually pretty good.
:borg:

ImageImageImageImage

:borg:

Arca is worth a mention. He's a little inconsistent but when he gets it right his music is like a massive groundswell. The layers are orchestrated classically. Have a listen to "Now you know" for instance. Parts of it feel like the huge updraft you get on a parachute drop. I definitely like metaphors :-D

Delia Derbyshire

That Koan this is amazing, listeting to the whole!

Still, not sure if it's a matter of sound design - more like composition and talent.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Most of the examples posted here seem to be musicians and composers, I never know why 'producers' always get the credit for stuff that is usually the province of musicians and composers.

aMUSEd wrote:Most of the examples posted here seem to be musicians and composers, I never know why 'producers' always get the credit for stuff that is usually the province of musicians and composers.
The OP actually asked about "artists" ...
dewgong wrote:Do you know of any artists who have exceptional frequency/dynamic response in their music?
:)

That's better.

F.S.O.L. were pretty amazing. Not sure if that was due to the sound design itself, or rather that they used a gazillion of different synths with very different sound characteristics. At least they did sounds which i never heard before, and which very much stood out in the mix and were very unique. Not my favorite kind of music even, but the sounds are really something you remember.

chk071 wrote:F.S.O.L. were pretty amazing. Not sure if that was due to the sound design itself, or rather that they used a gazillion of different synths with very different sound characteristics. At least they did sounds which i never heard before, and which very much stood out in the mix and were very unique. Not my favorite kind of music even, but the sounds are really something you remember.
Wow.... I was about to say exactly the samething... Timelss unforgetable craftmen...

Oh, and +1 for delia derbyshire...
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Return to “Sound Design”