Favorite sound synthesis? VA? FM? Additive? Physical Modeling? Sampling?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote:I like them all but my less favourite is sample based synthesis.
+1
A synth that uses audio samples as the sound source is my favorite.
A close second will be wavetable synth.
In the end I go by how rich and thick the sound is.
I care only that is sounds good.
So all methods interest me.
I am not crazy about Pianotec and so had ignored physical modeling.
Perhaps I should check it out.

i like them all, different tools, different approaches. But, i most definitely like PM the most.

the AAS stuff rocks my socks big time, Kaivo (which is PM and Granular) is absolutely amazing to me.
i would be the happiest of happy campers if AAS would update Tassman! i remember when i first got Tassman in 2003 or 2004 and went over to a friends who had a Gamble board running into a Bag End PA in his house! i hit a few notes using Tassman and he looked up and said "what's that?!" by the end of the night (it was a big party/jam night) everyone was clustered around my rig grooving on the sound~

now if only--- they would update it!
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

While i have used almost any kind of synthesis (also for my own patches) my favorites are VA and wavetable synthesis.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

What I enjoy the most are HYBRID systems that allow many different types of synthesis to be combined. Notable mentions being:

<Software>> Alchemy, Tone 2 Electra, Omnisphere (don't own it though but will definitely be looking at version 2 when it's released), Native Instruments Kontakt

<Hardware>> Roland JV/XV/Phantom series, Yamaha and Korg flagship synth workstations, Kurzweil VAST synthesis series (my absolute favorite in the hardware realm!!) etc.

This is also my downfall.. I have a hard time concentrating and doing "good" sounds for simple synths. To be frank, I'm really bad at it. I need options because my imagination always runs wild! :D

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I like physical modeling synths the best (Logic's Sculpture, AAS synths, Madrona Labs' synths) especially when they're used for very unusual sounds and not real instrument emulations.

Also, I'm more of a fan of FM than VA.

I liked Waldorf and PPG wavetable synths, but I'm losing interest in that type of sound.

Never much into additive, but I've heard some interesting things in Loom, for example.

What I like the least are sample-based synths like Omnisphere and Alchemy that pretend like they're something so much more innovative.

Maybe Alchemy has changed in this regard from three years ago, but I've been enjoying doing FM synthesis within it. Four modulators is plenty, especially considering all that can be done within each.

physical modeling , mostly...

The combination of all of them is what i like.
No special love or hate for either.
But where i would like to see more advanced stuff and/or innovation is physical modeling.
I also prefer it for more unusual sounds and not to mimic real instruments. Here i still prefer real samples.
No synth does it all but Alchemy is the closest for me for this kind of hybrid.

Bodhisan wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:42 pm Maybe Alchemy has changed in this regard from three years ago, but I've been enjoying doing FM synthesis within it. Four modulators is plenty, especially considering all that can be done within each.
You mean the FM you can choose in the filters section? Otherwise there is no "real" FM in Alchemy.

Cinebient wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:26 pm
Bodhisan wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:42 pm Maybe Alchemy has changed in this regard from three years ago, but I've been enjoying doing FM synthesis within it. Four modulators is plenty, especially considering all that can be done within each.
You mean the FM you can choose in the filters section? Otherwise there is no "real" FM in Alchemy.
That is what I mean. So that's not real FM?

Over three year old thread lul.
<List your stupid gear here>

Bodhisan wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:32 pm
Cinebient wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:26 pm
That is what I mean. So that's not real FM?
Not an expert here but that is one part of Alchemy i find weak sounding anyway.

egbert101 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:32 pm Over three year old thread lul.
Is there an expiration date for threads? :D

Modular synthesis where all these classifications can blend and melt together, or where you can do things that nobody's invented a name for.

Cinebient wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:50 pm
egbert101 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:32 pm Over three year old thread lul.
Is there an expiration date for threads? :D
Not on this forum. :lol: :P
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”