April Contest: Submissions

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ten for the Price of One
(Stolen/borrowed from a FAWM challenge, very slightly modified.)

This month you are asked to submit 10 songs / pieces of music; the COMBINED length of these must not exceed three minutes. All your pieces should be joined into one submission track (ie, one mp3 with all ten pieces, preferably with space between them, or some other means—an announcer, say—to clearly mark where one ends and the next begins; the silence or whatever DOES COUNT toward the three minute total).

The original FAWM challenge from which I took this idea was to do ten ten second songs. That's the spirit of the thing.

Reasonable answers to reasonable questions:
Q: Whyeee?
A: It'll be fun.

Q: Can I do three songs, or one, or fifteen, as long as I get them in the three minute limit?
A: No. You must do ten. No more, no less.

Q: Do I have to have them all on one mp3 or ogg?
A: Yes. If you have trouble figuring out how to do this, ask in the gossip thread. Someone'll know how to do it with your set-up.

Q: Aren't you ashamed of stealing this idea?
A: Yes. Deeply. Thank you for asking.

Submissions MUST follow these rules:

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - A STRICT MAXIMUM of three minutes in length. If it shows up as 3:01 in my player, it's getting the boot.

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
Kara at http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

But wait! There's more! If you use SoundCloud to host your entry, you might find this tutorial by kryptonaut helpful. Bear in mind that SoundCloud's free accounts have a limit (per track) of 100 downloads.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Saturday, April 25th, 2015.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry must be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1504_KleeNexus_IfYouAreNotReallyaGhostImGoingtoKickYourAss.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. Please PM me for permission.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m Friday, May 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to D.H. Miltz or ask in the gossip thread.
______

PRIZES

Quinto from SKNote Software Sound Synthesis has donated any one of his plugins for the contest this month. (and later months until further notice). Thank you Quinto.

Michel Rouzic the developer of Photosounder has donated a copy (with noncommercial license) of Photosounder or a copy of SplineEQ for the October contest (and later months until further notice).

Dave Hoskins from QuikQuak has donated a copy of Fusion Field (full license) for December's contest (and later months until further notice). Thanks, Dave Hoskins.

Varazuvi has donated a copy of Acoustic Guitar Pro for this March's contest (and later months until further notice. Thanks, Varazuvi.

Uncle E from JRR Shop has donated any one of the following: UVI Mello, UVI Digital Synsations, SONiVOX Pulse, SONiVOX Vocalizer, SONiVOX Wobble, SONiVOX Twist for July's contest (and later months until further notice).
No longer a moderator.

I found this month's theme so interesting that I finished my track quickly. Also, it looks to be an extremely busy month, so I doubt I'll have time to write any music over the next few weeks. Anyhow, my track is a musical narrative that pops in on ten important moments in the life of one human being.

Ten Discrete Moments in the Life of Alex K. Riseborough

https://soundcloud.com/davidstiles/ten- ... iseborough

Stuff I used:

DAW: Mulab 6

VSTs:

UVI Mello
Soundiron Montclarion Hall Grand Piano
Impact Soundworks Rhapsody Orchestral Percussion
Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
8Dio Adagietto, Adagio Violas, Claire Bassoon and Claire Alto Flute
Wavesfactory Xylophone
Sonokinetic Vivace Orchestral FX

FX:

QuikQuak Fusion Field

Compression and mp3 conversion by Audacity

Found this theme great fun. In a burst of creativity I recorded 19 songs yesterday. The difficulty was choosing the best 10 songs and editing them to fit into the 3 minute time limit.

Ten In Three

Song Details:-
1. The Sun
I was looking at you leaning on your window pane
You were looking at me standing in the pouring rain
Our eyes met for a second and I knew that you were the one
Then the clouds left, the rain stopped and from nowhere out came the sun
2. Dance Yersel Dizzy
An electro pop style dance type song
3. Rollercoaster
Our love is a rollercoaster, up and down
My hearts on a loop the loop, round and round
4. Organ Failure
A basic instrumental, nothing fancy
5. (Broadway) Oh Broadway
Broadway Oh Broadway, I'm going to be a star
Broadway Oh Broadway, I'm going to go real far
6. f**k UKIP
A post rock type quiet/loud thrash
7. Handful of Sparrows
I've got a handful of sparrows living inside my heart
I couldn't bear to be without them, couldn't bear to be apart
8. Pangalactic Gargleblaster
A song about the pain and futility of modern life or then again it might just be another basic instrumental
9. You Gotta Feel It
You gotta feel it in your fingers You gotta feel it in your toes
You gotta feel it in your body it's just the way it goes
10 Chasing Johnny
The time I went to Memphis was the time I meant kill
I took a bag of marijuana and a dodgy acid pill
Everybody stared at me as if somebody had died
And when I took the life of Johnny I could swear I saw him cry

DAWs
Tracktion 2
Reason 3

Instruments
Epiphone acoustic guitar
Peavey electric guitar
Shure SM57 mic

Plug-Ins
Tracktion Compressor, Sampler, Delay & 4-Band Equaliser
Kjaerhaus Classic Chorus & Reverb
Steinberg VB-1
4Front Rhode
Mackie Final Mix
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

To be honest, these are not songs. These are just excerpts, mostly choruses I've created in the last several weeks (apart from the first one which dates back to over a year ago) and which I have so far been unable to turn into full-blown songs. Cause, instead of finishing them, I just keep refining them and churning out new ones on an almost daily basis. That's probably the biggest trapping of modern DAWs and certainly I'm not its only victim.
I can't help but feel the first nine tracks could make a semi-cohesive album. The tenth one is my first attempt at making a four-to-the-floor and it is the only one with a proper title; the rest are just partly descriptive placeholders I normally use to name files.
If anyone feels like there is something of worth here, something akin to their own musical sensibilities and is interested in collaboration, feel free to PM me.

https://soundcloud.com/bojan-kerkez/10i ... ming-songs

10in1 - Do Loops Dream of Becoming Songs? - download

01 according to dx7 (C Mj 4-4 120bpm)
02 piano chords & acoustic guitar (G Mj 4-4 120bpm)
03 in the name of vibus (F Mn 4-4 95bpm)
04 come zither (F Pent Mn 4-4 120bpm)
05 stratchord arp & double bass (F Mj 5-8 98bpm)
06 arp guitar & the giant (A# Mn 4-4 120bpm)
07 two strings (C Mn 4-4 112bpm)
08 two note piano arp (G Mn 3-4 120bpm)
09 endless diffusion (B Mn 4-4 118bpm)
10 Citynightscapes - An Infinite Fast-forward Loop (C Mn 4-4 124bpm)

Made in Presonus Studio One Producer.

Instruments:
S1 native - Impact, Presence
3rd party - NI Kontakt Elements, NI Alicia's Keys, NI The Giant, NI Vintage Drummer, NI Reaktor Prism, NI Reaktor Carbon2, Spectrasonics Trilian, u-he Zebralette, u-he ZebraCM, u-he TyrellN6, u-he Podolski, Camel Audio Alchemy Player, AAS Player, Rob Papen RG Muted CM, Dexed, BlauKraut Charlatan, Ample Sound Ample Guitar M Lite II, MT-PowerDrumKit, xlnaudio Addictive Drums 1 Demo Version, futucraft Kairatune

Effects:
S1 native - Compressor, Pro EQ, Binaural Pan, Room Reverb, Mixtool, Beat Delay, Gate, Limiter, Phase Meter
3rd party - QuikQuak Fusion Field, NI Replika, NI Guitar Rig 5 Pro, vladgsound Nova67P, vladgsound Molot, lkjb Luftikus, TDR VOS SlickEQ, TDR Kotelnikov, TDR Feedback Compressor II, GRevDly, TAL-Dub-2, CableGuys PanCake2, Klanghelm IVGI

https://soundcloud.com/psyerichybrid/te ... f-thoughts

https://soundcloud.com/psyerichybrid/te ... s/download

Tracks:
1) Something 0-16
2) Strange Behaviour 16-31
3) Slow Day 31- 53
4) Eco 53-1:12
5) New World Order 1:12-1:32
6) Tripitina 1:32-1:51
7) Lost World 1:51-2:22
8) Old and new 2:23-2:35
9) Nyphamia 2:36-2:52
10) Happy new day 2:52-2:59

Softsynth: Omnisphere, Zebra, Diva, CS-80, VOX V, UVI Workstation, Geist, Addictive Keys, Addictive Drums.
Instruments: Electric guitar, Electric Bass, Classical Guitar
FX: Ecoboy, FilterFreak, Panman, Valhallaroom, Ni Replika, Guitar Rig

De-Construct Theme & Variation
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/0415 ... -variation

LIVE9 environment
DimensionPro (x many = strings)
Korg ePiano
CM Magazine Samples
a new Telecaster > Boogex2
uTonic
Several Iterations of the Mighty Operator
Simpler
efx:
LIVE9 Native
CamelSpace
Valhalla Vintage Verb
Ozone5 for a little frosting on the cake
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Here we go!

The Adventures of Turms the Etruscan

https://soundcloud.com/aziraphal/the-ad ... e-etruscan

This is based on the excellent historic novel, Turms the Etruscan (also known as Turms the Immortal) by Mika Waltari, the story taking place from 520 to 450 B.C.

The composition consists of ten images from the book, and they are separated by samples of thunder (an important symbol in the turbulent life of the protagonist).

1. (0:00) The Oracle
2. (0:15) The Storm
3. (0:38) Dorieus the Spartan
4. (0:55) Dionisios the Pirate
5. (1:12) The House of Madam Tanakil
6. (1:32) Arsinoe
7. (1:50) The Woods of Sikani
8. (2:03) Among the People
9. (2:21) Rome
10. (2:37) Return of the Lukumo

Stuff used ... Cubase 5, Hypersonic, Omnisphere, GPO, Miroslav Philharmonik, Kore Player, findsounds.com

Cheers Matt
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

Here we are !

That 70's Bad Green Vibe

Code: Select all

01 Intro....................00"
02 As seen B4...............19"
03 Bad Green................36"
04 Bright New Day.........1'02"
05 Psycho Darkness........1'22"
06 A Lydian Forest........1'28"
07 The Ancient Fortress...1'49"
08 Dark Breeze............2'13"
09 Carlos'commute.........2'34"
10 Prepare for landing....2'48"
HW:
Charvel guitar, my new DIY strat, Tech21 GT2, Vantage bass, Mostortion, Alesis solo tube pre, Shure beta58, Marshall studio 15, H&K Tubemeister 5, Jackson bass, Rocktron Chameleon, Behringer bass OVD
SW :
Minimogue VA, NI Bandstand, NI Battery, MT-PowerDrum, PrearationP, Stringz2, String theory, Glaceverb, Camel space, KeFir, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field, DSK Elektrik Keyz, PI Elektro piano, Glaceverb, Nuclear cranium

:band2:

This is a 10-song album my Gliese 667 band released several grl'do(ch)s ago (Glieseian time unit, hard to explain). It briefly became a top-44 (base 9) hit, then quickly fell to position 3847, where it remains today.

m'pfaa

http://rachmiel.org/kvr/1504_rachMiel_m'pfaa.mp3

The picture is an attempt to convey the visuality of the band. It is egregiously simplified, because Glieseians present in 11 dimensions, and humans tend to go insane (and/or explode) when they are "shown" full-value representations.

Thank you for listening. Or, as we say, transliterated:

Condolences for to have (had) listened(ing).

Earthly technology employed: Reaktor (factory royalty-free samples), Sound Forge, iZotope Ozone. (Glieseian technology must remain undisclosed per strict NDA.)

SPELLING CHAMP

Here's my 10 track album. Obviously, it is based on low level spelling competitions/bees. The words were kept relatively simple to avoid confusion. The guitar playing was also kept simple to avoid me not being able to play the songs.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/shangsean/spelling-champ

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/osrbo2svh ... gChamp.mp3

1. Because
2. Aura
3. Love
4. Doom
5. Guardian
6. Hemispheres
7. Complicated
8. Radiology
9. And
10. Trigonometry

Created in Reaper, using:

Peavey Rotor EXP guitar
Shure SM51 Microphone
Audio-Technica AT2020 Microphone
Guitar Rig 5
Orange Tree Samples Rick Bass
Drumkit from Hell through Superior Drummer 2.0
Impact Soundworks Juggernaut
Morphestra
CamelPhat 3
Pitch Proof
ReaTune
Alloy 2
EZMix
CamelSpace
EAReverb
Ozone 5

TenYepTen
2:45 / 4.3MB ogg or 4.5MB mp3

mp3 . . . . ogg

MuLab and Audacity used throughout.

1. Haiku 1
Used: glockenspiel, MXL V63M, Stagespace.

2. Fanfuckingtastic
Used: First Act PW guitar, Squier bass, POD, SM 57, Kontakt (factory drums), Slick EQ, Ferric TDS, Stagespace.

I know it won't last
but right now it's a blast
I'm feeling fanfuckingtastic, fanfuckingtastic, fanfuckingtastic now

3. Untitled 1
Used: Kontakt (Rain Piano Mk II + factory viola), Stagespace.

4. Cops
Used: First Act PW guitar, Amplitube, MXL V63M, UVI Mello, Classic EQ, Classic Compressor, Spitfish (but not all that well apparently).

I don't remember the cops they sent
to say "there's been an accident"
I know they came, I know they went
That's all

5. Ghost Part 1
Used: Noisemakers made with pill bottles and string, MXL V63M, SFX Machine RT, GHI, Eos.

6. Ghost Part 2
Used: acoustic guitar, MXL V63M, Eos.

If you're not really a ghost
I'm going to kick your ass

7. Haiku 2
Used: Toy guitar with bottle caps under the strings played with chopsticks, MXL V63, Necklace, Verbtone.

8. Untitled 2
Used: Kontakt (factory sounds), Stagespace.

9. Ooh, Dramatic
Used: Telecaster, slide, Phonec, Amplitube, GS-201, Stagespace.

10. The Choice
Used: acoustic guitar, MXL V63, BiFilter2, GS-201.

There is no forgiveness
The things you've done you live with
or you don't
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”