"forestalling the inevitable decline" - new hybrid ambient/aggressive track by dysamoria

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello again, cafe people... Here is the fruit of my latest bit of musical effort:

https://m.soundcloud.com/dysamoria/fors ... 5-bounce-2

TLDL?

It's over 12 minutes long, so if you dislike ambient and slowly developing music, jump ahead to just before the 8-minute-mark. Be careful with headphone volume.

Thanks for any listens and comments. I might not be online the rest of the evening, but I'll be checking in later :-)

EDIT: Spelling correction in title... sigh... embarrassing... :oops:
Last edited by Jace-BeOS on Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Really great stuff! I love the Quake sound track and still listen to it now and then. I can hear the influence but the sounds are more modern. Very well, done, you really nailed ( :hihi: ) the vibe.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for listening and for your comments, Justin! :-)

I've been meaning to try something like this for ages; the threads about the Quake soundtrack finally got my butt in gear (thanks Caine123).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Very cinematic. I liked the Brass and Flute sounds. How did you make that long drone? Was that done using the Timestretch in Logic Pro? I played this a couple of times tonight. Most enjoyable. The ending reminded me of the intro to "A Warm Place".

Good work :)

Jace-BeOS wrote:It's over 12 minutes long, so if you dislike ambient and slowly developing music, jump ahead to just before the 8-minute-mark. Be careful with headphone volume.
I like that buildup. It's over 12 minutes long, but it doesn't drag and feel long. I don't know the Quake soundtrack, but I like this, so maybe I should look into that. In any case, good stuff. Thanks.

P.S. - I didn't listen on headphones, but I appreciate the warning nevertheless.
No longer a moderator.

Very cool. An immersive experience. Nice use of stereo. The track didn't seem long. :tu:

seismic1 wrote:Very cinematic. I liked the Brass and Flute sounds.
The brass: Yamaha VL70m with wind controller. i sat here playing a dozen presets (and more presets in two hardware FX units) till i was satisfied with the feel and found notes that inspired me to record.

The flute in the mid-ground was Tassman. The overblown longer notes in the background are an actual Bangladeshi wooden flute. i wish i had more physical instruments; they're great fun to throw into electronic works.
seismic1 wrote:How did you make that long drone? Was that done using the Timestretch in Logic Pro?
The continuous ambient drone in the background is a custom snapshot in Reaktor's Metaphysical Function (not sure if it's the MOD 1.5 or the Electronic Instruments version). i played with that thing for hours trying to create snapshots i might want to use in ambient tracks. i DID use Logic's time stretching facilities (Flextime) for the "orgy of noise" lurking in the background of the climax (used on some noises extracted from various random snapshots of Reaktor's Skrewell). Random stretching and compression of sounds can create interesting nastiness.
seismic1 wrote: I played this a couple of times tonight. Most enjoyable.
Thanks very much for listening :-)
seismic1 wrote:The ending reminded me of the intro to "A Warm Place".

Good work :)
Thanks! That comparison is interesting. "A Warm Place" is one of my favorites (the gentleness amidst all the violence that it is on that album).

Sorry for rambling. i love to know how people do things, so i'm never going to shroud my own efforts in mystery :hihi:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

D.H. Miltz wrote:I like that buildup. It's over 12 minutes long, but it doesn't drag and feel long. I don't know the Quake soundtrack, but I like this, so maybe I should look into that.
Quake's soundtrack is way more minimal than what i did here, but the tone and sounds inspired me. In a way, i didn't succeed in creating something LIKE it, but i ended up with something i'm proud of despite my off aim ;-) .

Thanks for listening :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Frantz wrote:Very cool. An immersive experience. Nice use of stereo. The track didn't seem long. :tu:
Thanks, Frantz. i'm an ear-candy junky, so i'm glad you approved of the stereo spread :-)

PS: The reverb was from MF Effects (Metaphysical Function's effects extracted into a separate ensemble) to keep it all in one unified space. i really should consider using a more consistent space treatment in future, but ambient stuff is all about the atmosphere and it happened naturally here.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: i really should consider using a more consistent space treatment in future, but ambient stuff is all about the atmosphere and it happened naturally here.
This track sounds excellent. I suggest continuing to use reverb like you have done here.

Jace-BeOS wrote: The flute in the mid-ground was Tassman.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have recently started using Tassman and have found it to be very useful for off-kilter ambient sounds. I think I need to dig a little deeper.

As old as it is, I continue to find sounds in Tassman that I really like. I wish AAS would be more committed to maintaining it. I rather dislike the user interface from all angles (the retro look is cool, but too small and disorganized, and the browser and builder are a pain to work with). But the sounds are great! At least it gets compatibility updates. I keep wondering what will happen when I move to a new Mac and Logic X.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Really enjoying this Jace! Lots of fabulous sounds. It certainly doesn't drag. Don't know Quake either but your take on it is great! :) Powerful midsection, nice build. Very cool! Well done!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Thanks, Allomerus :-)

Quake is interesting, but I certainly didn't succeed in mimicking it here with this track. ;-)

(I thought I replied to you before, but I don't see my reply here(?))
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I really thought this track was great. Actually most of your tracks on SC are pretty good work! I will be following your releases more often now. Good work!
:borg:

Return to “Music Cafe”