A possible use for the 'bottom row'

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would find it useful to be able to configure the bottom row to send out a bank of Program Change message.

Is this something that would even be possible as a firmware mod (main or user)?

TIA

Hi Randy,
In order to not clutter the UI, I try to only add features that are of use to many users. The problems I see with using Low Row to send Program Change messages are:
1) It's already pretty convenient to do this with the dedicated Preset button.
2) Because there are only 25 note pads on the low row, you'd only be able to select the first 25 program changes.
3) Unlike the Preset screen's numeric display, you wouldn't be able to know which program change you're sending without counting from the left.
That said, it wouldn't be difficult for you or a friend to code it up in the source code if you'd like to see how it feels.

Thanks Roger. Agreed, no need to add a bunch of one-offs to the core.

I'm trying to come up with a way to easily switch between multiple AU/VSTs and patches on those AU/VSTs in performance. A 'one-button' approach. I thought of the bottom row of the LinnStrument to make use of the same controller for this purpose. Yes, only 25 changes, but that should be enough for a set. I may end up using the Lemur app and an iPhone or iPad, but that adds an additional device into the system.

Most DAWs have some some of MIDI modifier than would convert the low row's CC1 output to another MIDI message like Program Change, but you'd also have to scale it to get the right range. Our next update 1.2.0 permits altering the Low Row's CC1 option to use any CC, and also to select either HOLD mode (same as current operation) or FADER mode (same operation as CC FADERS). You can download the beta of this update from its topic on this forum.

My particular problem is related to how I'm choosing to use Live. I'm recording audio direct to Live. This allows me to play with note per channel selected. The AU/VSTs are hosted in Bidule. The Program Changes are actually sent to Bidule which switches between outputs sent back to Live.

If you know how to code, it shouldn't be too difficult to make Low Row select Program Changes 1 through 25. Or maybe someone on the forum would be willing?

Thanks. I'll see how the other idea I have for this works out before delving in to the code. Don't really want to hack the core and need a small concrete example of how user mode mods work before I can do something there.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”