'OverBridge' for Electron- VST type Control of Analog Hardware Synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whet wrote:
Daags wrote:free ? it's listed for 1,289 euros on their website.

elektron should be applauded for their savvy in not telling people the product they're selling isn't complete. do it this way, and you'll be seen as santa claus when you finally deliver full functionality :)
Yeah the hardware was for free, the software cost 1289 euros ....
Oh dear....
The a4 wasnt marketed with all those features back then, that i was saying.
That is a lot of new functionality to get as a free add-on to a hardware device

I knew Overbridge was coming when I bought my Elektron boxes... but already they have announced something they said would not be there before... ability to edit the sequencer patterns on the computer. That will be in Version 1.1

Daags wrote:
murnau wrote:
Daags wrote:
murnau wrote:The groundbreaking thing is audio streaming via usb for analogs. Thats really genius!!! :) :tu:

:clap:

(you're being sarcastic, right?)
Sarcastic? No why? Because of your a/d converter? Let see how it will work before making everthing looking bad. Would be only fair or?
huh ?

anyway, if I understand you right, you think it's genius that they're piping audio (from an analogue device) down a usb cable. you haven't heard of soundcards ?

overbridge - it might be handy for some people - particularly existing owners, i don't know. the really useful things, like i stated earlier, would be stuff like project recall etc ... but piping audio ? erm. no. handy though it may be for some or even many users - that is the least genius thing about it. unless they're into theoretical physics and can somehow record analogue audio faster than real-time with their 'genius' (or should I say magic) usb cables and what I imagine to be a relatively standard issue a/d converter.
What have I/O of soundcards to do with this? huh? huh?
If you have a fancy a/d and prefer to use it keep playing and let this thread to the people who understand the meaningfulness of this as an addition to the old way. Who said it will completely replace how people connect their synth gear to their daw? Nobody.

You haven't hear of soundcards? Good joke.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

nm

I realise that overbridge is currently proprietary to electron, and as I have the a4 and RTYM i have more reason to be excited than most, but the question I was proposing (assuming it works obviusly) is would plugging an analog synth in via a single USB cable an driving it exactly like a VST be a game changer? I think it would, take the Tetra for example, I like he sound but the control on the box is very limited and again, it has to be wired in to my set up taking IO, 3rd party midi editor etc. If Dave Smith did his own overbridge type thing, you could have small 'black boxes' of analog with no controls other than an on off switch and a USB port...and of course a VST that lets you access, map and automate everything...hopefully these things would be cheap. And you can use them along side your desk or high end DAW AD.

So, if (as electron puts it) 'real analog VST' isn't the most interesting VST development in the last 10 years, what is? VST 3? Roland plug out, sampletank 3 :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Looks like paid community advertisement to me :borg:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

One thing I have not heard any mention of, but will Overbridge work with the CV outs on the A4/AK?

DJ Warmonger wrote:Looks like paid community advertisement to me :borg:
Yeh- been hanging out here posting for 11 years just to promote Overbridge when it came along :dog: ....its either that or I actually think it is a big deal to get this free update so my analogue hardware acts like a VST... :love:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Multitrack USB audio in/out without selecting it as the only soundcard (aggregates in Windows :tu: ) so you can have multiple devices all in, all going in/out the primary soundcard/driver- like plugging in an audio in/out cable!!
ASIO4all?

:shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

SLiC wrote:
Obviously Overbride will only work with Electron alalog4/keys/rytm
From the OP

This thread is just proof that people have lots to say about topics they've just not read/don't really care about/have no prior experience with :hihi:

tehlord wrote:
SLiC wrote:
Obviously Overbride will only work with Electron alalog4/keys/rytm
From the OP

This thread is just proof that people have lots to say about topics they've just not read/don't really care about/have no prior experience with :hihi:
That bit was changed after everyone mentioned it was proprietry to Elektron. It wasn't there before :-)

O rly? I checked to see if the post had been edited before I posted.

Somebody needs to hang their head in shame then, it's just not clear who yet :lol:

How about I/O latency? Any latency compensation info from the Overbridge VST/i?
It will work with "plain" ASIO drivers (i.e. RME ones) ?
Interesting tho...

SLiC wrote:OverBride is due out in Beta next month, I think it may represent the biggest advance in DAW/VST/Hardware integration since good old steingy came up with the VST concept....

Obviously Overbride will only work with Electron alalog4/keys/rytm - but assuming Electron can do what they claim, surely all hardware synths an effects will follow shortly behind offering true integration of hardware and software (and ending the witch is better debate once an for all!)

a few 'tech' highlights.....

Multitrack USB audio in/out without selecting it as the only soundcard (aggregates in Windows :tu: ) so you can have multiple devices all in, all going in/out the primary soundcard/driver- like plugging in an audio in/out cable!!
VST for 'analogue' hardware synths, control analogue hardware in DAW, analogue hardware streams audio to DAW over USB
VST for analogue hardware effects- streams from DAW to analogue effects unit, processed and back to DAW (with control from VST for automation etc.)
USB and 'sample accurate sync over USB (not midi) with high resolution encoders etc.
Librarians, patch editors etc. (for analogue synth) and sample loader (for RYTM)

:party: :clap:
I am the OP- this was the original unedited post, people just don't read the initial posts, they dive in on the last post or argue that's its not a question if you put a ! before the ? - Not that it matters, the proposition that seamless analogue integration in to our digital DAWS is a major advance seems to have been lost with all the 'hardware is better than software' and 'my converters are better than yours' (shrug) Obviously Overbridge is proprietary for Electron, I was suggesting it may launch a new standard/vst integration method with hardware.

Plenty of people have said its misleading. The title is vague. No mention of Elektron in it and a huge over statement. A more apt title would have been : Elektron owners get a new upgrade. Seven pages of speculation, no one has it yet. I look forward to the pages of complaint when its actually released. :D
Last edited by UltraJv on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

lalo wrote:How about I/O latency? Any latency compensation info from the Overbridge VST/i?
It will work with "plain" ASIO drivers (i.e. RME ones) ?
Interesting tho...
Only the beta tester know for sure (a few are publishing results on the electron forum) but the marketing says ''It allows you to record multiple analog parts to separate DAW tracks VIA a single USB cable. You can also feed digital sounds from the computer into your analog devices without any latency or timing issues.''

It is also confirmed that this works 'along side' existing drivers, and it has been tested with RME drivers as the primary drivers (again from electron site) without detriment to the primary driver quality or latency. (even on a PC that doesn't normally aggregate). They use their own special method for sync/audio, I think this is something new....which was sort of the point of the post!

Return to “Instruments”