Recording Lanes + Audio killed my bitwig.

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All.

I think I am terming this properly, probably not.

When recording within a looped section it would be nice if at the point of the looped section restarting a new track line was created for that play through of the loop and so on. Cubase is the obvious one that springs to mind that utilisises this and there are probably others also.

Not talking about jamming in clips and picking out the best bits, I am aware of that approach and it is fun. The reason for this suggestion is so that when you are caught unaware that the section is about to loop you don't wipe everything that you have just jammed/playing/cat jumped on keyboard and played the most amazing arpegio.

As an extra note; I was recording some vocals and some piano and when I pressed stop either by clicking stop or by clicking record whilst still playing - so as to un-punch (repeated methods several to make sure I wasn't crazier than have been diagnosed) bitwig died. On one occasion it continued to play some of the track and then died. Died as in just crashed straight to desktop. Ofcourse much work was lost and was not there upon the 'reload from crash' feature. I am wondering if it is an issue that bitwig has with caching audio instead of saving wavs of the audio that is recorded. Please destroy me for my lack of understanding and misinformation as to how bitwig works. Anyhoo, the air was the deepest blue for many an hour ;)

Cheers.

Edit:

Windows 7 64bit
i7 2600k
16gb ram
Bitwig installed on Main boot SSD drive
Set cache directory to seperate SSD drive - maybe linked but never happened before today.
DAW optimised etc....

There will come loop/comp/multitake recording. Its allready on feature wish list! But send a mail anyway to bitwig techsupport. I want that also and faders :) reaper do this beautiful :)
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

This could work very well in conjunction with the new groups - for example the effects rack stays as one, and the sub-track is duplicated as it loops, so you don't get a huge increase in use of cpu power after each loop... auto-naming the sub-tracks "take 1", "take 2", "take 3" etc.

dckyoto wrote:This could work very well in conjunction with the new groups - for example the effects rack stays as one, and the sub-track is duplicated as it loops, so you don't get a huge increase in use of cpu power after each loop... auto-naming the sub-tracks "take 1", "take 2", "take 3" etc.
no it should be in one track every take gets, and you can select the takes from same track or drag down and edeting each track. look into reaper for this. amazing
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard

Yes I agree, it should create new lanes within the same track - accessable just like in cubase (again because I am familiar with it). The space is already provided for implmentation in bitwigs tracks. It has a lane section for seeing automation etc. so an option can be added for 'takes'. But as ronnyrydgen has mentioned it is on the feature wish list so I am very happy.

Edit: An option to be able to choose which method you would prefer to use in your project would be the perfect solution.

I have been inspired to have a look at Reaper from this post. I have been meaning to for a while but I had invested so much time and money and frustration into Cubase that I was suffering from bad investment denial. About three months ago gave up on it and bought Ableton - and wished I had done so years ago. Then, having heard of Bitwig, I caught a video about the x-y vst container and my brain fell out, end of.

I have also looked into Jack audio, again something I had been meaning to do but thought it would be too complex. It's actually quite straight forward (so far) and coming from me that means something! Any walls I have hit getting bitwig and reaper to sinc is due to my own rushing and not taking time to think about why I am doing what is being explained to me. A few more things to work on but this will provide a safety net for my audio takes which is a true relief. The only snag is that bitwig suffered these crashes whilst also tracking midi and that info was lost and so I need to see if I can get Reaper to catch that info too. It is fun getting the ol' grey matter off it's ass.

Next is to try Bitwig with Ableton. I was thinkng of jumping back into Cubase but a quick check to see how stable it is yet and it some people are still extremely disgruntled. For some it works faultless but for me it set me back years and oh sooooo much money (oh crashed again and destroyed my work. Right, I'm off down the pub...oh bugger I've ended up at a party and am drunk again...hang on...where did five years just disappear to..etc...) Even though I have version 8 I never upgraded beyond 6.5, such a damn waste of cash.

Here's to Bitwig!!!

Happy Musiking guys,

GonzoFB

Would just like to say that no hiccups today at all and Bitwig, when it has it's happy hat on, really is a true delight to work with. So far I have created IDM, DnB, RnB, Trance, House, Industral and Orchestral pieces and the work flow is great for all of them. Can't say the same for the pieces of work themselves but I don't charge myself to hear them so I can't complain. Using it is a great learning experience in itself and it encourages innovation, not many things you can ever say that about.
Great times we live in :)

GonzoFB.

GonzoFB wrote:Would just like to say that no hiccups today at all and Bitwig, when it has it's happy hat on, really is a true delight to work with. So far I have created IDM, DnB, RnB, Trance, House, Industral and Orchestral pieces and the work flow is great for all of them. Can't say the same for the pieces of work themselves but I don't charge myself to hear them so I can't complain. Using it is a great learning experience in itself and it encourages innovation, not many things you can ever say that about.
Great times we live in :)

GonzoFB.
When someone comments on something totally diffrent :D nice energy though :D but sure but loop/comp record or multitake all same functions diffrent names. Is essential when recording vocal to produce the best possible result :) i would never use bitwig atm to record with until a solid solution comes with recording multiple lanes within one track and be able to chop each part and select the best take and having faders :) but yes bitwig is a great daw for stuffs that you discribed :)

IMG_8181.PNG
wow its seem so far planned for 1.3 :D hope it will be decided :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bitwig”