iPad 4 vs iPad Air (first gen) - any advantages for audio work?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I just sold my iPad 4 16GB since 16GB is way too less for my apps plus audio projects.

I initially wanted to upgrade to a iPad 4 64 GB but now I see the price difference on the used markets is only about 50-75 euros (for a 32GB version) with an Air.

So I was wondering... I know the Air is supposedly 88% faster than the iPad 4 and thus loading times will decrease and the Air would feel more 'snappy'.

But other than that, are there any major advantages if I went for the Air (1st gen) like can it hold more tracks without needing to freeze them and all or has that got to do with RAM? Do some apps work better on the Air with it's superior processor and what am I missing maybe?

Bottomline is, I THINK I need 64GB but I guess 32GB would do as well (no games then...:/)
I can't afford an Air 64GB so it's either an iPAd 4 64GB or an iPad Air 32GB.

Any user experiences or common advice?
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I'm pretty sure Korg Gadget's track limit is determined by iPad model. Auria will probably be a lot smoother if you use that -- it was almost unusable on my iPad 3 but when I upgraded to the Air it was great.

On the other hand it still only has a GB of RAM so all the crap regarding tab reloading in Safari and other annoyances still applies.

I do use Korg Gadget alongside with Cubasis, Sampletank, iMPC Pro and Touchable (and dozen other apps but I think these could benefit most) but ur point about RAM is exactly what I'm looking for in any feedback here.

I'd rather not spent the extra cash unless I get some significant performance gain in forementioned apps.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

So for comparison, here's the gadget specs page:
http://www.korg.com/us/products/softwar ... page_2.php

Ipad air non-freeze - 20-25 tracks
Ipad 4 non-freeze - 15 tracks

Also some benchgeek scores:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks
Air2 - 1808
Air - 1468
ipad4 - 768
ipad 2 - 261

So should give you an idea the leap from ipad4 to air was fairly significant for processing power. I do agree on the ram though, while I love my air that tab reloading still pisses me off. However I dont really see it crop up anywhere besides that. Also apple discontinued any Air's above 32gb, so if you want one your going to have to find one at a local store or used somewhere.

For music stuff Id agree 64gb is where you should look. After more than 2 years Ive finally almost filled it up, but I do have a couple multi-gb games on there using most of the space. Having all that space is a nice comfort though knowing you always have more room if necessary.

Tnx for the link & info.

I've seen the benchmarks, I just find it difficult to translate to 'real life' applience other than a snappier overall response.

Regarding tracks in Gadget 20 is more than I need but since Cubasis is my go-to DAW I imagine I could use the extra processing power since this is where I arrange and layer the most.

Most difficult decision for me is 32 vs 64 GB. I have an option tomorrow for an Air 32GB for 330 euro and one for an iPad4 64GB for 300 euro. I think my audio apps take about 20 GB but projects in Cubasis can easily reach a few hundred MB.

So the choice seems to boil down to more GBs vs a 'snappier' tablet.

Some more pro/contra argumentation would be appreciated.

Even 64 GB gets eaten up, my last iPad (a 2) was 64 GB and I had to struggle to keep within that, I now have a 128GB iPad Air 2, much better.

One other thing

iPad 4 is 32bit iPad Air is 64bit.

Some new apps now only run on 64bit hardware.
Instant human just add coffee

@Bianca,

Could you name some apps? I know Garageband and Infinity Blade III utilize 64 bits but nevertheless work on 32bit as well.

Roland Sound canvas for one, If you look at devices it runs on 5s is the lowest ie 64bit only.
Instant human just add coffee

I managed to find a "used" Air 2 64GB for 410 euros.
Will pick it up in a week so I am more than happy with this price since iPad4s almost do the same on the used market.

Looking forward to see what the 2GB RAM will add to the performance :)

Damn, must be fun to produce on a tablet, on the go :)

To be honest I haven't yet really taken full advantage of the possibilities of producing on a tablet.
I mostly use it when I'm on the couch jamming with my guitar to catch an idea -which I quickly want to record.
Or as a wireless MIDI-controller when I play my electronic piano (which is away from my PC).

Also I've used it for jamming in a studio when playing keys. So much easier then carrying a laptop.

I hope to really dig deep into it's possibilites when for eg. I'm on vacation or travelling to work by train to shave on (EDM) ideas.
Thinking it was "the Gorillaz" who produced an entire album on an iPad so yes, possibilities are endless.

BiancaNeve wrote:Roland Sound canvas for one, If you look at devices it runs on 5s is the lowest ie 64bit only.
Now name a few more! :clap:

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”