10 more sleeps till Omnisphere!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It may be nine more sleeps but chances are the Spectrasonics servers will break down if we all download at the same time? My upgrade is free since I bought Omni in december last year, and obviously the waiting time is killing me too. That said, I've only touched the surface of Omni 1.
Still, I'll wait a few days after the 30th before I start my download. That way I won't get frustrated by possible server breakdowns and interrupted downloads.

Kinh wrote: ...On top of that 10,000 new presets..wtf!
Really? Where did you hear that?

Sorry that was a typo. I meant 3,000. But thats still impressive considering most synths only come with 200. So thats 3,000 on top of how many already in Omni?

K-Bee wrote:It may be nine more sleeps but chances are the Spectrasonics servers will break down if we all download at the same time?
Yeah Ive been contemplating that myself.

Kinh wrote:Sorry that was a typo. I meant 3,000. But thats still impressive considering most synths only come with 200. So thats 3,000 on top of how many already in Omni?
OK number fans, here's where we are with the patch /sound count, as far as I understand it. Deep breath....

Currently Omni 1 has 5,121 patches, 2,740 soundsources and 144 multis. Trilian has 1,447 patches, 1,327 soundsources and 47 multis, and the Moog expansion has 817 patches, 417 soundsources. If you have Trilian AND Omni 1, you get another 150 patches and 33 multis.

Intially, Omni 2 was to have 3,000 new "sounds", which is patches + soundsources + multis. However, Eric said on twitter than when they finally locked the new soundsources, they numbered 2,150 alone ( https://twitter.com/Spectrasonics/statu ... 6555413504 ) , so the number of new sounds (by Spectrasonics' definition) will greatly exceed this. On number of new patches, Eric tweeted in mid-Feb that it was currently over 2,000 and growing (https://twitter.com/Spectrasonics/statu ... 8554220544 ), in reply to this https://twitter.com/ChaninOfficial/stat ... 7244150784 which wished for 2,500 new patches, said that it would be likely also higher than this too https://twitter.com/Spectrasonics/statu ... 3859474433 . I know that in the recent beta phase, more designers have been working on new patches as well, so who knows what the final 2.0 tally will be.

So focusing purely on patches, Omni 2 will at least 7,500. If you are a paid up member of the whole fan club with Trilian and the Moog expansion, it will be over 10,000. In my case, I also have over 3,000 3rd party patches, taking me over 13,000. If you go by Spectasonics' global definition of "sounds", Omni 2 will have at least 10,000 and the full set will be over 17,000.

Good job Omni 2 has a killer browser, eh?

Then of course you can morph patches together by freezing aspects of one and combining with another. Oh, and the new Innerspace effect has over 1,000 timbres alone.

If you don't already, I'd suggest following @spectrasonics on Twitter, and make sure you're set to watch for the replies to questions (they don't always show up on the main twitter feed). Eric answers loads of questions there, and sounds like they'll be too busy to do other videos or forum drops just yet.

9 more sleeps!
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

so if omni 1 takes a lifetime to explore, then omni 2 will require a reincarnation and omni 3 will require multiple reincarnations :oops:

I am sure this has already been discussed, but are all the 'download' upgraders like me going to be hitting the server at the same time- hope they have the bandwidth!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:I am sure this has already been discussed, but are all the 'download' upgraders like me going to be hitting the server at the same time- hope they have the bandwidth!
FWIW, you should probably wait until May 1.

But hey, what do I know? I've only been doing product launches since 2006.

Let's just say that the 30th is going to be a very frustrating day for a lot of people.

As I have said here and in the main thread, it doesn't have to be hell if they purchase the bandwidth and spread the load across multiple servers on a global CDN. It all depends how much they want to pay to ensure things go smoothly.

lnikj wrote:As I have said here and in the main thread, it doesn't have to be hell if they purchase the bandwidth and spread the load across multiple servers on a global CDN. It all depends how much they want to pay to ensure things go smoothly.
And that's the key. I don't know how big an operation Spectraonics is, but we're talking about 20 gig downloads here. Some of the biggest product launches in IM history have crashed and burned on day 1 because of an underestimation of the traffic load.

This could go as smooth as silk or be a total disaster depending on way too many variables to go into here.

I'm just saying, you're probably better off waiting until the first of May.

Hopefully, I'll be wrong.

We might be talking 20gb downloads (in smaller chunks one imagines/hopes) from many hundreds of people (maybe even a thousand or two) probably on day 1, but this is a fraction of a percentage of what someone like Netflix is continuously serving up.

If there is a problem then it will be down to Spectrasonics not having spent enough, purely and simply. Like you I very much hope that there won't be a problem.

Voice303 wrote:Just pre ordered it on Sweetwater for $229

Its going to be 10 long days :O
Except isn't it going to be even longer ordering from Sweetwater? It's only the boxed version right? So wouldn't it then be several more days?

Kinh wrote:Sorry that was a typo. I meant 3,000. But thats still impressive considering most synths only come with 200. So thats 3,000 on top of how many already in Omni?
To be fair they do say 10,000 sounds on their website:

"Now includes over 10,000 sounds!
More than 3,000 New patches and soundsources from acclaimed Spectrasonics Sound Design Team
New Omnisphere EDM library with cutting-edge, modern sounds
New Exclusive Soundsources from Diego Stocco's Custom Built Instruments
New category of Phrase-based Soundsources for granular synthesis
Hundreds of new Circuit Bent Soundsources
Many Innovative new Psychoacoustic Soundsources
New Melodic Cave Stalactites Soundsources
…and much, much more!"

lnikj wrote:We might be talking 20gb downloads (in smaller chunks one imagines/hopes) from many hundreds of people (maybe even a thousand or two) probably on day 1, but this is a fraction of a percentage of what someone like Netflix is continuously serving up.

If there is a problem then it will be down to Spectrasonics not having spent enough, purely and simply. Like you I very much hope that there won't be a problem.
i have to agree with this... Specstrasonics knows how many users they have for updating/upgrading... therefore when specing/scaling the delivery system these discussions had to take place... if they did not that would be labeled "poor planning"... but i do not think that is the case... in 2015 20GB of data is not a lot... i like Heavyocity's delivery system... their products are about 20 gb... there is app to download the files... usually about 5 to 6 files... if the app fails for some reason... you can start it back from where it failed... never had a problem with Heavyocity's delivery system...

personally... i am waiting to Sunday May 3 to purchase and download... it there are problems... hopefully by that Sunday things would have been smooth out...

p.s. cant wait!!!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Voice303 wrote:Just pre ordered it on Sweetwater for $229

Its going to be 10 long days :O
Except isn't it going to be even longer ordering from Sweetwater? It's only the boxed version right? So wouldn't it then be several more days?
They ship it in advance on the 27th which should get to my office on the 30th. I am not counting on the servers being alive on the 30th... I think it is unlikely they will use a CDN as they will want to sample the sound of their servers on fire from the millions of downloads :hihi:

Worst scenario: I save $20 :tu:
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Return to “Instruments”