Your choice on hardware stomp box's for Keyboardist?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

Im trying to get ideas for buying stomp box's to add to my live keyboard rig.
Kind of a hands on approach sound FX scuplting.
I know keyboardist will pick a lot from their friend the guitarist stomp box world.

Heres what i picked out so far:

MXR Phase 90
Roland Space Echo
CryBaby Wah
Electro Harmonix Q Tron
Electric Mistress
Ibanez Analog Delay
Shaller Tremolo

Whats your set up, what do you use?
Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

VP

My gear runs through strymon möbius, strymon timeline and tc electronics hall of fame reverb. Currently saving up for the strymon big sky reverb.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Moogerfooger cluster flux (flange/chorus)
Monger footer 104m sad (analog delay)
Moogerfooger cp 251 (cv madness for synths and pedals)
Full tone supatrem 2
Ehx small stone nano (preferred it over the 90)
Morley vintage volume/ wah (preferred over crybabies)

Imo, these are the standards for use with keys along with a ring mod (will likely get the moogerfooger but the ring thing is great too)

Anything by strymon on is great. El cap is still on my want list and potentially some verb.

sold my moogerfooger 104m delay.. it couldn't compete with the timeline.
I still have the cp 251, the clusterflux and the freqbox. I should try them with my dark energy and ms-20 module.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Strymon El Capistan
Strymon BigSky
Digitech Space Station
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

As I play guitar and keys, I'll try everything.
Some stompbox classics actually interact with the source characteristic of guitar pickups - they don't sound the same from low impedance outputs. Cry Baby and Fuzz Face are especially known for this. Pickup simulator boxes exist, but DIY is simple...
http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm
Also amp & cab sim. I'm still on the side that analogue is best and Tech 21 type non-digital amp sim pedals are a good start. Real spring reverb is well worth having too, especially if located where you can thump & tap it ;)

Only have one right now -- Moogerfooger phaser. Hoping to pick up the control processor and maybe the freqbox at some point as well.

My three sons synths are an MS-20, Microbrute and an Analog Four which all have CV stuff so they complement each other fantastically. Lots of fun to experiment, although maybe not in a live rig!

werp wrote:sold my moogerfooger 104m delay.. it couldn't compete with the timeline.
I still have the cp 251, the clusterflux and the freqbox. I should try them with my dark energy and ms-20 module.
From a pure functionality standpoint, I agree...the timeline is incredible. From a tone perspective however, i prefer the 104. But I spent a LOT of time hemming and hawing back and forth between the timeline and 104

No much new suggestions but to comment on some of your picks

Electric mistress is pretty classic and can sound great but unfortunately i've had pretty erratic luck with them sounding all different or even working (brand new, seriously) on the 'classic' style box versions. Maybe just a quirk of the period i was buying them.

Also, get one of the new enigma/riddle ehx filters over the qtron for synth. Better control and the expression jack will communicate with cv out from you synth if it has it.

Another thing to keep in mind is analog octave dividers tend to work more predictably with synths than with guitars and basses. Well, for monophonic usage and maybe if you lay off the filer rez and too wild filter modulation. If you find one cheap as hell it's worth picking up for the hell of it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”