When Copy Protection has the Same Effect as Piracy?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tapper mike wrote:@fluffy. Welcome to life where we don't always get whatever we want just by wishing for it. It's more often then not accepting lesser evils for greater goods.
Actually, I do get what I want. And I do not get what I don't want. I don't have any software using a system I don't like. I was interested in UVI's JX-3P emulation, for instance, but I just didn't buy it. And it is no problem since there are so many alternatives out there.
By the way, I doubt what someone said about the number of people not buying being negligible. They simply can't know how many people don't buy because of their cp system.

Regarding EULA's, nobody reads them anyway. Why? Because people don't care about them anyway. The vast majority act based on common sense, which happens to be in line with legal provisions.
Another aspect is that EULA's are partly in conflict with local laws and regulations, which of course are superior to EULA's. And that is even stated in EULA's themselves. And since hardly anyone knows the law, hardly anyone knows which parts of EULA's are binding.
So for instance we simply sell used software licenses in the EU regardless of what it says in EULA's, because EU law overrides EULA's (which are mostly translated and based on somewhat incompatible legal systems such as the US one).
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No,
People don't Buy software they merely buy licenses which allow them usage of the software.

If I buy a baseball bat and hit someone on the head its the same in court is if I chop a tree down and fashion my own baseball bat to hit someone over the head. The object does not come with limitation of use. In situations where an object is used in an illegal manner it is the manner of use that defines the illegality not the object.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

@fluffy & @tapper: I was interested in UVI's Emulation One. I wrote them a mail and asked if there's any chanse to have something else then iLok. The wrote back and told me that they've grea tnews for me. I no longer need the dongle . I could just use the software instead. I wrote back again and said that I do't want to deal with anythign PACE at all. They replied with the happy happy news that I could have a reduced price by using this and that ode.

I wrote here at KVR and requested an alternative to PACE. Not instead of but an alternative. They told me to just go and **** myself. Well they didn't put the words that way...but that's what they said.

So I started out with 1 reason not using UVI and ended up with 2 reasons :-p

Well, it does sound a bit cocky when the potential client "requests" things :wink: They don't make customized software I suppose...

@fluffy: What's cocky with a request? Do you've a hamburger, a beer, socks or red instead of blue cars? Happens everyday.

- Hey can I've some ketchup love?
- Do you see any on the table?
- Eee...no.
- Do you see any in the mnu?
- Hm....no.
- See, we don't have any and we never will so why don't you just go and *** yourself.

Well, it's like contacting GM and requesting they build a different kind of door lock into their cars because you don't like their current system :wink: Assuming they get few such requests, why would they bother?

And I wonder what exactly UVI has actually replied to you. They certainly did not say **** you or anything like that, despite being French :hihi:

@fluffy: lol....well that's true :-) But it's also true that GM would pay attention of many customers requested anothe rlock. Saying they've issues etcetera. This happenes everyday and it' snot unusual at all.

It's like with things being done or changes due to popular demand. In other words many people requesting something.

No, UVI didn' tno ttold me to **** myself in their mails to me. But their representative at KVR did so in a threads. But that was clearly the meaning of hat he said. Here's the thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=432311

Are you following me sfd?

I just had a support call where a user wanted to purchase a discontinued product. We can't sell the product because it's discontinued. It's discontinued because we worked with a 2nd party to develop the product. The second party pulled out and took the intellectual rights for their part of the product with them. We can't license the product to people because we don't have half of the rights. Without that half of the rights the product doesn't work.

A request isn't a demand it's a request. Requests can be denied if the party receiving the request cannot honor it. Or just denied in general and even if it were a demand it's not that wishing for something or stating you want something makes it magically come true.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

sfd wrote:@fluffy: lol....well that's true :-) But it's also true that GM would pay attention of many customers requested anothe rlock. Saying they've issues etcetera. This happenes everyday and it' snot unusual at all.

It's like with things being done or changes due to popular demand. In other words many people requesting something.

No, UVI didn' tno ttold me to **** myself in their mails to me. But their representative at KVR did so in a threads. But that was clearly the meaning of hat he said. Here's the thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=432311
Well, judging from the last page they were polite when they said no to your request. All they said is that they know a few people won't buy their stuff because of that system, but that they can live with that...

sfd wrote:@fluffy: lol....well that's true :-) But it's also true that GM would pay attention of many customers requested anothe rlock. Saying they've issues etcetera. This happenes everyday and it' snot unusual at all.

The UVI appeared to speak politely and clearly.

You on the other hand appear to be trying to incite an argument, and are clearly obsessed with something you repeatedly indicate that you are no longer interested in.

Is eLicenser better or less problematic? It seems to be similar...
Waves has a good system, but it is their proprietary one afaik.

@tapper: I do :-)

You are absolutely right. A request isn't a demand. And it's alright when a request is being denied for a resonable reason. But even if there's no such reaosn given the company still has the right to say no if they like.

So for requests I see noting cocky here.

And for denials. That's pretty much a question of good policies and beign polite. A good company don't tell their customers or potential customers that they're negligible.

If one have an issue with a product and don't want to buy it becase of that it bols down to either take it or leave it if the company dont' want or can do anything about your issue.

But if the company has a bad attitude, as UVI had, then you suddenly have two reasons not buying the product.

In worst case you'll not even come back in the future if/when they might have fixed that issue.

And in an even worse situation, and I think this goes fro PACE, is when you have built up a bad reputation for your product among a lot of people. Then it doesn't matter how good your product might actually be.

At the end of the day it's a matter of...trust !

And for PACE, as well as for UVI and any other die hard reseller of PACE, this is critical. The bottom line of most people's issues with PACE is abotu a lack of trust. And their policy here is very contra-productive.

If you've an issue. You would not double click the executable I mail you if I treat your anxiousness in a bad manner.

@fluffy:
I trust eLicenser more then PACE.

@Robert: I've noted your opinion.

@fluffy: What UVI says is that they can live on what they can earn. Since they simply dont know how many the potential customers are. And regardles of how many they are. They don't care.

Yes, they are polite. That is a polite way to tell a potential customer that he os she is negligible. Or, if one wish to be more poetical, one can express it in a more jerky way. The meaning is the same.

@sfd

I agree and concur. I didn't attack the support caller, just explained thing as they were.

Really there isn't a point to be gained on the part of the software provider or user by engaging in hostility as RR has pointed out. I especially concur with your statement regarding trust. Some software companies aren't worthy of trust and when situations such as that arise it's best to walk away. Same with some people.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”