RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dimension Pro Rapture Rapture Pro

jackmazzotti wrote:
jackmazzotti wrote:must have free download for rapture users
http://patcharena.com/downloads/comment ... 21edb7ffa4
tons of other free goodies on that site
+1 I've grabbed lots of free patches for Alchemy and z3ta+ as well :tu:

rapture pro is also multichannel (one of the only ones too) so it should work well the continuum that i will own in the not so distant future (God willing of course)
here is Edmond Eagan playing it with omnisphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dp4w_ ... e=youtu.be

Thanks Jack, getting convinced :)

Fleer wrote:Thanks Jack, getting convinced :)
:D

Mystic wrote:What will Rapture Pro be able to do that I can't already do with something like Omnisphere 2 or Serum?
They will sound different, of course your mileage may vary based on your tastes. The core Rapture/Dimension was written by Mr. RGC. I respect all of René's work since it's always impressed me in many ways, I was lucky enough to have a chance to work with him initially on Dimension Pro and Rapture development. Something about wavetable sound in Rapture (bandlimited non-aliasing) that I love the sound of. Also the wavetables take on different characteristics when transposed to extremes, I don't think this style of programming has been fully taken advantage of. It's something I'd like to try and experiment more with. Overall Rapture sounds quite different compared to other wavetable based synths. Although again tastes will vary.
mutantdog wrote: What I want to see, and the only reason I would pay to upgrade is how this synth functions as a synth, how deep and intuitive is its sound editing and manipulation capabilities. How does it improve on Rapture classic in this regard? What sort of audio does the 10GB consist of apart from the old DimPro content?
I've contributed some content for the Rapture Pro factory. I asked them if it was okay to talk about some features. I will say that having Dimension Pro's bussed effects routing inside of Rapture is really wonderful. It gives some really excellent FX routing options, since the global FX can be either series or bussed now (ontop of insert effects and chaining in Elements). There are new insert FX types which are also great.

The new sample content usually contains multi-velocity layers, round robin, etc. There is a new piano, strings, mellotron, guitars from Gibson, orchestral, vintage synth, synth combo organ, clavinet, Sitar, and more.

I believe there is still lots of life and goodies within the Dimension Pro factory content. There are so many good samples in there. Many of which just could use more exposure and programming. I contributed 100+ new .sfz files that utilized Dimension Pro factory content (mostly the orchestral and string material). Combine those with Rapture's synthesis and you've got a really wonderful huge textures.
Numanoid wrote:
jackmazzotti wrote:
jackmazzotti wrote:must have free download for rapture users
http://patcharena.com/downloads/comment ... 21edb7ffa4
tons of other free goodies on that site
+1 I've grabbed lots of free patches for Alchemy and z3ta+ as well :tu:
Glad to hear you guys are enjoying these. There are more goodies coming! :phones:

jackmazzotti wrote:rapture pro is also multichannel (one of the only ones too) so it should work well the continuum that i will own in the not so distant future (God willing of course)
here is Edmond Eagan playing it with omnisphere
Absolutely love the Continuum and all PMCs! Edmond Eagan's sound design with the Continuum is pretty stellar. FWIW Rapture Pro will work really well in Multi-Timbral mode in which each Element responds to MIDI Channels 1-6 accordingly. Although if you have a program that uses multiple Elements already you can assign Polyphonic Aftertouch as a Modulation source within the Modulation Matrix. :tu: Tested this with the Linnstrument and it works really really well. Phenomenal. I'd like to see Cakewalk expand the Multichannel option to automatically route MIDI channels 1-16 to a full program that is usually all 6 elements. That would be very sweet. :)

great info Chad!

do you or anyone else know how to create waveguide synthesis sfz files?

will this work in rapture pro?

from Rene
Waveguide Synthesis
-------------------------
A waveguide is a bidirectional delay line, at some wave impedance. In easy terms, you can think of it as a complex resonator, where if you make some initial short or burst noise, the resonator will continue 'vibrating' for a while, with a natural decay. This synthesis method has been introduced in the early nineties as a fresh way to synthesize plucked attacks and plucked strings. A waveguide is the most common component used in Physical Modelling.

In this method, we give Dimension a sample to provide the initial noise burst, or 'impulse'. This impulse has nothing to do with room/hall impulse responses used in convolution processors, but using those as bursts result in interesting sounds. This is the sfz syntax to turn an element into a waveguide:

<region> sample=MySample.wav waveguide=on

Beware of the length of the impulse you use: it might end in DC, with no sound produced. This is a normal consequence on waveguide synthesis. If you're up to investigate, just take a look at the stock impulses in '20 - Waveguide'. If you're after a sample of how waveguides can sound, check the 'PM Clav' patch, a physical modelled Wonder-like clav sound.

Hope this brings some light.

-René

drink the cool-aid much? :lol:

Chad@PA wrote:
Mystic wrote:What will Rapture Pro be able to do that I can't already do with something like Omnisphere 2 or Serum?
They will sound different, of course your mileage may vary based on your tastes. The core Rapture/Dimension was written by Mr. RGC. I respect all of René's work since it's always impressed me in many ways, I was lucky enough to have a chance to work with him initially on Dimension Pro and Rapture development. Something about wavetable sound in Rapture (bandlimited non-aliasing) that I love the sound of. Also the wavetables take on different characteristics when transposed to extremes, I don't think this style of programming has been fully taken advantage of. It's something I'd like to try and experiment more with. Overall Rapture sounds quite different compared to other wavetable based synths. Although again tastes will vary.
I remember Craig saying that Rapture could do something no other softsynth was able to do well but I can't recall what it was. Any ideas what he was talking about? I looked around on the Cake forum but couldn't find it.

it may might be the wave guide stuff that uses convolution processing that perhaps tracks midi data
the only issue is figuring out how to use it properly beyond presets

jackmazzotti wrote:it might be the wave guide stuff that uses convolution processing that perhaps tracks midi data
the only issue is figuring out how to use it properly beyond presets

jackmazzotti wrote:will this work in rapture pro?

from Rene
Waveguide Synthesis
-------------------------
A waveguide is a bidirectional delay line, at some wave impedance. In easy terms, you can think of it as a complex resonator, where if you make some initial short or burst noise, the resonator will continue 'vibrating' for a while, with a natural decay. This synthesis method has been introduced in the early nineties as a fresh way to synthesize plucked attacks and plucked strings. A waveguide is the most common component used in Physical Modelling.

In this method, we give Dimension a sample to provide the initial noise burst, or 'impulse'. This impulse has nothing to do with room/hall impulse responses used in convolution processors, but using those as bursts result in interesting sounds. This is the sfz syntax to turn an element into a waveguide:

<region> sample=MySample.wav waveguide=on

Beware of the length of the impulse you use: it might end in DC, with no sound produced. This is a normal consequence on waveguide synthesis. If you're up to investigate, just take a look at the stock impulses in '20 - Waveguide'. If you're after a sample of how waveguides can sound, check the 'PM Clav' patch, a physical modelled Wonder-like clav sound.

Hope this brings some light.

-René
Sounds interesting indeed.
So this can't be used from the interface directly, only from the sfz-files?
Well, no wonder Rapture is under the radar...

Thanks for the hint!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Anyone know if there's gonna be a demo? I'd be happy with a limited content but fully featured trial.

mutantdog wrote:Anyone know if there's gonna be a demo? I'd be happy with a limited content but fully featured trial.
Gonna be interesting to see what happens with Cakewalks and DSF sample expansions.

Those used to ship with Rapture LE and Dimension LE, included free.

Will buyers now get Rapture Pro LE included when buying such expansions instead?

jackmazzotti wrote:great info Chad!

do you or anyone else know how to create waveguide synthesis sfz files?

will this work in rapture pro?
Yeah it will work in Rapture Pro with the sfz implementation you pasted. As far as creating your own waveguides I have some notes on it somewhere, but a good way to start is by experimenting with a small audio file in an editor (512 samples long). Try drawing a shape manually, the sound of that waveguide should almost sound as though you are drawing an EQ response for the file. Trial and error gives the best results. You can also try making copies of the waveguides in that folder and editing and manipulating those and checking out the results.

Return to “Instruments”