How do I modulate Sampler's Frequency CutOff with Velocity based on custom curve?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need Sampler's Filter CutOff to respond to Velocity in a non-linear way. Similar to the curve below. It is possible?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

No

It might be doable with some creative routing and dc audio, but too messy.

Reaktor could do it easily ;)

Doesn't the ladder filter have ADSR, and can't you use the ladder filter along with the sampler?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I just tried Ladder filter and it doesn't work. If there isn't way to do this in Bitwig then I guess I have to keep using Kontakt to create my custom sample libraries. I hate creating anything in Kontakt!

I'd use Timbre instead of velocity. Then assign TMB to cutoff.

powermat wrote:I'd use Timbre instead of velocity. Then assign TMB to cutoff.
But I want to be able to play on my MIDI controller and make the filter respond to how hard or soft I play the notes. I'd like to create a custom curve to make it fit my playing style.

feature request it then to bitwig tech support.. http://www.bitwig.com/en/support/tech-support.html
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

digaldeman wrote:I just tried Ladder filter and it doesn't work. If there isn't way to do this in Bitwig then I guess I have to keep using Kontakt to create my custom sample libraries. I hate creating anything in Kontakt!
You tried with the ladder in the FX slot?

Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:
You tried with the ladder in the FX slot?
Yes, I placed the ladder in the FX slot but the Velocity cannot control the Ladder's Cutoff frequency. The CutOff button is not assignable.

If you put the sampler with ladder filter inside a note mod, you will have access to assignable velocity.

goatgirl wrote:If you put the sampler with ladder filter inside a note mod, you will have access to assignable velocity.
That's a good start, but still doesn't allow a custom curve for velocity, though. 8)
digaldeman wrote:But I want to be able to play on my MIDI controller and make the filter respond to how hard or soft I play the notes. I'd like to create a custom curve to make it fit my playing style.
More specifically: do you want the velocities to be rescaled per se, or do you want to use note velocity, rescaled, as a control source for (e.g.) the filter cut-off only? The former can probably be achieved using a VST MIDI effect plug-in, such as VelocityCurveSM (Windows only, apparently); there's also midiVelocityScaler from the Piz MIDI collection (which doesn't do curves or anything fancy, though); there are also tools that can do this such as Numerology (OS X only) or Bidule, used as a VST plug-in Bitwig Studio (both commercial, and much more advanced - perhaps overkill for your purpose, but also ways to use more of a 'modular' approach before Bitwig 2.x arrives).

It becomes more complicated when you want the latter (i.e., as can be done e.g. in Kontakt). This can be done, though, in at least one way - namely by using a (quite basic) controller script, that exposes the note-on velocity as a mappable controller in Bitwig. And that works quite well, although only for live input, and only monophonically (the velocity values of all notes share a single control source):

When recording this as automation and then playing it back, things somehow get messed up quite severely by Bitwig's automatic data 'thinning' feature - I wish we could tweak this 'thinning' function according to our preferences / needs, and switch it off entirely where it gets in our way. :( So, I'm not sure if this approach is (currently) even useful. :?

I expect that this sort of stuff should become quite easy to build yourself in Bitwig Studio 2.x.

FR this kind of tool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oh, btw, I also noticed this in the API:

Code: Select all

setVelocityTranslationTable(Object[] table)
This makes it quite easy to implement a simple transform table for note-on velocities received from your MIDI keyboard / controller in a controller script.

I forgot this but there are several midi plugins that can rescale velocity, piz midi comes to mind (seems to be offline atm, can send it to you if you want)

Tearing Riots wrote:I forgot this but there are several midi plugins that can rescale velocity, piz midi comes to mind (seems to be offline atm, can send it to you if you want)
I mentioned this above as well; the link pasted above still worked for me just the other day.

Return to “Bitwig”