Dada Life are Bitwig beta testers... their experience with Bitwig so far...

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

interesting read... scroll down - the part where the question is about them using Logic Pro... they elaborate... interesting!

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/dad ... age-619029

Too bad they're utter garbage but should be an interesting read

Edit: Just read it and he says he's slow on Bitwig because it's like a new language to him. Yet he's a beta tester... I've spent a year on this software and it's still going slow and most everything takes just that bit longer to do than in Live. I always thought it was me, but there's another dude who can't get along with it...

The last sentence from the part of the article that refers to Bitwig says "Ableton is a great program, but if I was a young kid, coming to production with no baggage, I would definitely go with Bitwig."

Seems rather more positive than the bit you quoted from there. :tu:
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Kypresso wrote:The last sentence from the part of the article that refers to Bitwig says "Ableton is a great program, but if I was a young kid, coming to production with no baggage, I would definitely go with Bitwig."

Seems rather more positive than the bit you quoted from there. :tu:
Haha yeah we quote what seems ourself fit :) :tu:
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Love how they mention they're beta testers. We're also beta testers! In fact, anyone who wants to can be.....
Formally known as CnuTram.

CnuTram wrote:Love how they mention they're beta testers. We're also beta testers! In fact, anyone who wants to can be.....
as long as you own it :D But it was exactly my thoughts... who knows maybe they are beta testing 1.2 now :lol:
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard

I bet they are testing 1.2!

Yup, I pull out quotes that fit. :tu: If I have spotted a similar problem, of course I'm going to relate to it, more than him suggesting Bitwig to young kids or whatever and we can read its meaning as "this software is easier to understand" 0R- more likely- "this software is going to grow and be awesome soon and it's worth starting to get used to it now"

PolaroidThePenguin wrote:I bet they are testing 1.2!

Yup, I pull out quotes that fit. :tu: If I have spotted a similar problem, of course I'm going to relate to it, more than him suggesting Bitwig to young kids or whatever and we can read its meaning as "this software is easier to understand" 0R- more likely- "this software is going to grow and be awesome soon and it's worth starting to get used to it now"
But as a former ableton user, how is it that you think workflow of ableton is faster for you?i have not used ableton myself just curious :) what made u switch or use both?

I use both- Live started life and is still heavily bias towards working live- DJ type sets or just crating music live on the fly. It is probably still the best 'at that' and its simple interface and workflow is suited to that. BWS can do that (IMO) almost as well, but also add the linear DAW experience and a lot more DAW type screen/mixer and edit flexibility- that may slow down or clutter up the purely LIVE based workflow, but as a DAW (rather than a live tool) it makes workflow much faster for me in terms of completing a track with guitar/vocals etc, and not just loops and midi clips. It will be interesting to see which way they take Live 10 - further improve it and make it the ultimate 'Live' tool, or fight for the middle ground DAW/production platform.

Live is faster for me in many cases as I have been using it for 10 years so know my way around faster than BWS, although Live is already pretty deep, I think BWS has even more to master with the linier side, routing and modulation options and even screen layouts/editors....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I'm also an Ableton Live user, and when I want to do some serious work I always start up Live. Bitwig still has too many bugs/annoyances/limitations to make it my main DAW. Some examples:
  • When I start Bitwig, I already get annoyed by the fact that it will not start in a maximized window. Bitwig team knows about this bug, but it doesn't seem important enough to fix.
  • The built-in tools like EQ and compression are just too simplistic. EQ5 should at least become EQ8 and have a spectrum analyzer in it and also an enlarged view, mid/side EQ, audition mode, ... The compressors need multiple views, ...
In short: to me it looks like Bitwig is made for beginners who have never used any DAW before. Coming from Ableton Live and Cubase, Bitwig just seems like a step backwards to me. It only slows down my productivity and because of that also blocks my creativity.

Maybe when Bitwig gets to version 2.0 or 3.0 it will be mature enough for me to make the switch, but as it is now it's just too limited.

/End rant :bang:

CnuTram wrote:Love how they mention they're beta testers. We're also beta testers! In fact, anyone who wants to can be.....
he probably refers to the time back when Bitwig has closed betas as well.

Reefius wrote:
  • The built-in tools like EQ and compression are just too simplistic. EQ5 should at least become EQ8 and have a spectrum analyzer in it and also an enlarged view, mid/side EQ, audition mode, ... The compressors need multiple views, ...
In short: to me it looks like Bitwig is made for beginners who have never used any DAW before.
Uh... I'm no expert but that's not adding up to me. When you become pro do you graduate to eqing most elements in your mix with 6 or more bands? You graduate to needing multiple views to use a compressor and a spectrum analyzer to eq? Those seem more like crutches to me that advanced users wouldn't need. Your eyes can't tell you when the comp or eq is right. And I find all that flashy stuff distracting and limiting my creativity if anything.

analyzers are for beginners who do not know how to use their ears .. :D

Reefius wrote: [*]The built-in tools like EQ and compression are just too simplistic. EQ5 should at least become EQ8 and have a spectrum analyzer in it and also an enlarged view, mid/side EQ, audition mode, ... The compressors need multiple views, ...[/list]
In short: to me it looks like Bitwig is made for beginners who have never used any DAW before. Coming from Ableton Live and Cubase, Bitwig just seems like a step backwards to me. It only slows down my productivity and because of that also blocks my creativity.

Maybe when Bitwig gets to version 2.0 or 3.0 it will be mature enough for me to make the switch, but as it is now it's just too limited.
OK but Live didn't get EQ 8 till Live 8 and didn't add the analyser and large views till Live 9 so presumably if Bitwig gets these in v2 it will become 'pro' much faster than Live? ;)

Ogopogo wrote:Your eyes can't tell you when the comp or eq is right.
That's where you're wrong. Your eyes CAN tell you which frequencies need a boost or need to be reduced when using a spectrum analyzer.

Return to “Bitwig”