Better analogue sound(vst)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you want real analogue - buy real analogue. You ain't gonna get it from a softsynth. It will always be an unfulfilling compromise and you will be forever chasing the marketing blurb on the latest 'the most analogue sounding vst ever!!!!' lines from the devs. There are many great little (mostly monophonic) analogue boxes that sell for the same price as a decent softsynth now (korg monotron series/monotribe/volca series, Akai Rhythm Wolf, Arturia Microbrute, MFB Nanozwerg... plus there's always bargains to be had on ebay). Seeing as most uses of analogue synths are monophonic you can't go wrong. Plus you will have a lot more fun with a piece of hardware rather than clicking the mouse all day ;)
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I agree, I'm a guitarist who got in to synths via vst and then started buying g a bit of analogue (monotribe about £100, Microbrute - £200 (gateway drug!)- Analogue 4 £800) - it seems more expensive to get hardware, but add up what you have spent on software....

I have Diva, Lush 101 etc- good sounding virtual analogue. Real analogue instruments sound different, not necessarily better (I can normally make them sound bad!) but more raw, less polished and normally more alive. They do NOT sound better, they sound different, if you prefer that sound, then they sound better to you! (I remember when you could get analogue stuff for next to nothing when the DX7 and samplers came out and everyone decided digital sounded better!

Personally, I think the microbrute/monotribe sounds pretty thin and dull until I put it through a bt of delay and a good reverb (VSTS!) If I put a little compression on the track as well there is very little difference between this and say Diva run at HQ other than one knob per function and no CPU use.

As well as running my real analogue through VSTs effects, I run VSTi's (with all VSTi effects off) out through my sends to a TL Audio duel valve pre-amp (cheap valve pre-amps are easy to come by) and then back to the returns and add high quality stand alone VSTi effects such as Ubbermod and Shimmer (Valhalla, both $50 each) and/or Satin (U-HE) for simulated tape warmth and movement. 'I' cant tell the difference between this and my real analogue... but then as I said when I started, I'm primarily a guitarist....A duel valve pre will cost under $200 and is also great for direct recording in with say a guitar before guitar rig ...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TPSII

If you budget runs to it...Keep an eye on Overbridge also for Analogue4, it may seem expensive to buy one of these boxes, but if Overbridge works as advertised you will be able to run any VST out through the Analog4's filters and analogue FX and back via a USB cable as a VST effect (as well as have real analogue controlled as a VST)
Last edited by SLiC on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Real analogue instruments sound different, not necessarily better (I can normally make them sound bad!) but more raw, less polished and normally more alive. They do NOT sound better, they sound different, if you prefer that sound, then they sound better to you! (I remember when you could get analogue stuff for next to nothing when the DX7 and samplers came out and everyone decided digital sounded better!
Excellent post. :tu:

My point being that most of the people who are chasing after the mythical analog Unicorn don't actually know what it is they are chasing and have never owned any analog gear. The just drank the "analog is better" koolaid without ever questioning the myth.

So once again many of us know Analog = Different but are of the opinion that Analog is not superior to digital.
But once you say that here come the pitch forks and torches as the ana masses storm the castle of logic and reason. :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

do_androids_dream wrote:If you want real analogue - buy real analogue. You ain't gonna get it from a softsynth.
This

thecontrolcentre wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:If you want real analogue - buy real analogue. You ain't gonna get it from a softsynth.
This
No, i'm very satisfied with my Decapitator and Saturn. Would miss them alot. The ITB sounds "weak" when turning them off. I don't get why people make those threads always pro/contra. The OP asked clearly for a VST solution so saying buy analogue makes no sense. On the other side do you really think that all the mojo available as plugin are nonsense then? So all the devs are ripping us off? SoundToys, FabFilter, SlateDigital, U-he to name a few?

Also your analogue gear have to go trough A/D so in the end it's exactly what that you can't recreate digitally?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I certainly didn't suggest anyone was ripping anyone off. There's nothing wrong with Decapitor or Saturn I'm sure (don't have them myself) ... in fact there's nothing wrong with VA either. It's not a matter of pro/contra, it's just not analog is all ....

Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

If you analize the spectrum of an analogue sound with a diigital sound you will find the digital sound to be much more cleaner... An analogue sound has much more actually unwanted harmonics, noise and other annomalities comoared to modern VST sounds and virtuall analogue sounds..

This is what most call the character of real analogue sounds..(thats also why some get better results with sampled sounds as they do have these imperfections build into the sample)

Now with modern technollogy, it should be possible to recreate this imperfection in effects, this will not really recreate the imperfections of the orriginall sounds, but it should give your new sounds that analogue warmth and feel.

http://youtu.be/YsZKvLnf7wU

( i have added a video explaining the perfect spectrum of current digitally created sounds)

Get a tube preamp, behringer sell several options all cheaper than your average vst plugin
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I don't think a good VA needs any additional help. I personally love the XILS synths for a vintage vibe. However, check out Virsyn's VTAPE.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Get a tube preamp, behringer sell several options all cheaper than your average vst plugin
I am going to test this one...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/fre ... in-608574/

zerocrossing wrote:I don't think a good VA needs any additional help. I personally love the XILS synths for a vintage vibe. However, check out Virsyn's VTAPE.
Will check out both

Sjefke wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Get a tube preamp, behringer sell several options all cheaper than your average vst plugin
I am going to test this one...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/fre ... in-608574/
It's a good plugin in that. Very cheap too!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Seeking the analog sound is also an aesthetic choice, it's like choosing colours or paint.
dedication to flying

It's not just the harmonies (that is just a small part of it) but the dynamic as well, either synth env or compressors.
Analogue, VA, digital... All got their places and we all know how this thread will finish...

Now, for something more important, my girlfriend is giving me a worried evil eye. The fact that she sees me reading then replying on something tagged on Chrome as a "better anal..." tab might have to do with it...
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Return to “Effects”