Problems with redrawing waveforms

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a 90-minute long project with 14 tracks. Every time I close and reopen the project, Tracktion 5.4.3 renders the waveforms from scratch. This takes a really long time--maybe 10-15 minutes. To make matters worse, if I switch window focus to another application and the back to Tracktion, it starts redrawing the waveforms from scratch.

Am I blowing out the waveform cache? Is there a way to increase the size of it?

Any chances that the second problem related to focus will be fixed any time soon? I've been seeing it since Tracktion 4.

I also have slow redrawing times when splitting a clip.

bburtin wrote:I have a 90-minute long project with 14 tracks. Every time I close and reopen the project, Tracktion 5.4.3 renders the waveforms from scratch. This takes a really long time--maybe 10-15 minutes. To make matters worse, if I switch window focus to another application and the back to Tracktion, it starts redrawing the waveforms from scratch.

Am I blowing out the waveform cache? Is there a way to increase the size of it?

Any chances that the second problem related to focus will be fixed any time soon? I've been seeing it since Tracktion 4.
You could try turning off "Options > Use Hi-Res Waveforms" in the Menu section.

It also helps to run Tracktion projects off your fastest available hard drive or SSD. I am not sure but I feel that drawing previews is much faster in V6.

What are your system specs?

it may be a workaround to disable hires waveforms, to make the redrawing a little faster.

but i think tracktion should have a stable cache of an already established waveform-draw.
the waveform drawing is one of the weak points of tracktion. take a low level recording and bring the level on the clip up and you'll see just big black blocks, even with hires turned on.

I have a Dell Latitude with an i5 processor and an SSD, but I don't think the specs are the problem here. The problem is that something is causing Tracktion to dump the waveforms and regenerate them from scratch.

Of course now that I've posted about this issue, I'm no longer able to reproduce it. If someone from Tracktion knows what might cause the issue, I'd appreciate hearing about it, so that I can work around it the next time it happens.

klangbastler wrote: the waveform drawing is one of the weak points of tracktion. take a low level recording and bring the level on the clip up and you'll see just big black blocks, even with hires turned on.
I've always thought the opposite. The waveforms in Tracktion are really smooth for me. I just now noticed the blocky thing, but I'm not sure I would have ever noticed that unless you mentioned it. It had to be REALLY low level with a major gain boost.

Studio One for example has much worse looking waveforms.

Can you post a screenshot of the 'blocky waveforms'?
Are you zoomed in so far that one audio sample covers multiple pixels on the screen? If this is the case, blockyness is what you would expect because the sample value stays the same for that duration. In physical terms, the speaker won't change voltage until the next sample is output i.e. the end of the block.

The alternative is to use dots at the centre of the 'block' and join them with straight lines but this is technically less accurate.
If this isn't the issue you're describing I'd like to take a look into it.

Also, changing from Hi to Low-res waveforms doesn't sound like the issue here. This is really only useful if you get a lot of lag when scrolling an Edit with lots of waveforms visible. It does indeed sound like the proxy audio files are being deleted for some reason and having to be regenerated with each load of the program. Are you low on disk space at all?

I have 16GB of space left on the drive, and the Tracktion temp folder takes up less than 500MB. Sounds like running out of disk space isn't the cause.

For whatever reason, the waveforms are now being cached and reloaded properly now. I'll let you know if it starts happening again.

Can you please comment about the window focus issue? If the waveforms need to be rendered when the project loads, I can consistently reproduce the problem. I first reported this problem maybe a year ago, and never heard back about whether you plan to fix it.

dRowAudio wrote:It does indeed sound like the proxy audio files are being deleted for some reason and having to be regenerated with each load of the program. Are you low on disk space at all?
I have exactly this problem from the beginning of using Tracktion i suppose. Its nearly imspossible to work with longer audio files (16 tracks with 1h duration for example). Even worse, it lose waveforms drawing while i am still working on file, without closing application/file.
I was using Tracktion 6, but tried Waveform 9 and it works exactly the same.

I understand that it is not suppose to work like that, am i right? So maybe location of my installations are bad? C:\Users\user_name\Downloads\... on Windows 7 with around 20GB of free space.

This is a very old thread, it could be that your problems are a separate issue.
What sample rate are you using as this will change the amount of proxy file space required?

What temp location are you using? (To find out go to "Settings" -> "File Locations" -> "Temporary Directory")

Hi !

This thread is, however, a real problem since many years.

With big projects, the software has to recalculate all waveforms. And it's horribly long !

Even if I change the temp location in the audio folder of the project I'm working on, it doesn't change anything.

What ever the location is in fact.

Many thanks for a real quick fix.

;-))))

It's a real big problem with Waveform since the first versions of Tracktion !

I don't understand why I'm not followed by other users who work every day with Tracktion/Waveform.

Would be nice to have feedback about this thread !

Thanks

Nobody ? :?

Help !! :)

Really nobody ?

Even from the Waveform crew ?

Please !

Thanks

Return to “Tracktion”