The most underestimated synths...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If it's to be related to KVR's top listings then I would say:

All XILS-Lab synths

But in the wide world outside KVR those synths are deffinitel ynto underestimated. Especially not among professionals.

Here I would place synths like:

ME80 and Messiah by Gunnar Ekornås.

(by the way...they're underestimated at KVR too)

kilohearts' One might also be more successful, but I think its price is a bit too high (for what you get).

fluffy_little_something wrote:kilohearts' One might also be more successful, but I think its price is a bit too high (for what you get).
Totally agree, it's sort of 50-60 dollars synth in best case scenario :tu:

Not to mention the irritatingly loud voice that keeps interrupting the demo version, it's almost as if they wanted to piss people off and keep them from testing/buying their synth 8)

What I like about it is the envelopes and how they interact with the oscillators. They sound very snappy and the annoying pulse signal attack noise known from most other synths is missing :)
Unfortunately that only apples to poly mode, in non-legato mono mode the blip is omnipresent, I guess they screwed that up...

What's not so good is the poor contrast of the text/labels vs background. The options in the mod matrix and patch browser are way too small, which is odd given the rather big size of the user interface. They should have let a graphics pro do the GUI, which is not very appealing to begin with.

I used to like Ugo's String Theory back in the day, since then I've become fond of M-Theory. Would love to see an update/sequel free from the limitations of SE.

sfd wrote:If it's to be related to KVR's top listings then I would say:

All XILS-Lab synths

(by the way...they're underestimated at KVR too)
Absolutely. Also Ni Skanner, Audjoo Helix, and (shockingly for me) Tone 2 in general. My experience with Tone 2 is a bunch of killer synths with extraordinary sound. I'm bizarrely in the minority, though I think many of the naysayers are potential victims of their own, goofy cantankerousness.
Ha ha suck it!

Wavestation... to this day, no other software synth sounds like it...

Could not find a messiah thread so I post it here.
Completed messiah extra4 bank today. This is a gift to messiah owners. Available here:
http://memorymoon.com/downloads.htm

The first half of the bank has vintage solo leads and sounds emulated from varios pop-songs. Many of the first leads in the bank has noise modulation of pitch. You might think it is aliasing at first listen, but it is there for a reason. A while back I investigated the minimoog sound, and found that it had noise modulation from the power supply. That is why it sounds kind of crunchy. I made a function for it on the LFO page called "fizz". It gives that sizzle to the sound that is pleasing to the ear. Many of the first lead sounds in the bank use that function. Maybe I overdid it, so you might try to lower the "fizz" knob on the LFO page.
The "voice pan" is the stereo spread in Unison mode, but it also works in poly mode.

The second half of the bank focus on supersaws. The sounds use the unison oscillator, so the supersaws have full 8 voice polyphony. You can use the mod wheel to increase cutoff. I have explored the highpass and notch filter. The notch filter creates some moving phazer sounds. You can turn on "unison" button next to the LCD display to make it even fatter. And imagine this supersaw sounds was possible all these years, but nobody really explored it.......

I see this thread is 9 years old but I gotta ask.

What does "most underestimated" even mean?

That it can do more than people think it can do?
That it's better than people think it is?
That it should be talked about more than it is?

And who are these people?

How do we know what people think a synth can or can't do?
How do we know how good people think a synth is?

And that a synth gets or doesn't get talked about here...so what?

Maybe the people NOT talking about synths are actually, oh, I don't know...using them?

Do you see me coming here and talking about what synths I use the most and love or what synths I hate? No, not at all. My Soundcloud page shows that I simply spend most of my time making music.

So all these answers that all you guys are giving, just where are you getting your "data" from to determine what is and isn't an underestimated synth?

This I gotta hear.

wagtunes wrote:Do you see me coming here and talking about what synths I use the most and love or what synths I hate? No, not at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

wagtunes wrote: What does "most underestimated" even mean?
[...]
Probably that, without being able to accept that the great stuff isn't popular for nothing. Frankly, i have never found a "secret tip" synth, or plugin in general to be particularly "great". People know their sh**, thus will rather opt for the quality stuff.

Michael L wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Do you see me coming here and talking about what synths I use the most and love or what synths I hate? No, not at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Okay wise ass, what are my favorite synths? What synths do I use the most? What synths do I hate?

Come on. Let's have it.

Truth is, you don't know shit.

chk071 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: What does "most underestimated" even mean?
[...]
Probably that, without being able to accept that the great stuff isn't popular for nothing. Frankly, i have never found a "secret tip" synth, or plugin in general to be particularly "great". People know their sh**, thus will rather opt for the quality stuff.
Except how do we know what's popular and not popular? Do we have sales figures? Do we know is Diva sells more than The Legend or if Sylenth1 sells more than Dune 2?

Do we really know how well the Korg Legacy Collection sells or doesn't sell?

All of this is biased opinion based on nothing more than our own feelings based on no empirical data that we can measure.

Well. Judging based on trends here, and on other sites. Artist endorsements from here: http://equipboard.com/ or on other sites, or the artists Facebook, or whatever pages. Articles im magazines. I think you can quickly figure out what is popular, and mostly recommended, and what not, when you browse several sites, read magazines, and see what artists are using, or recommending. If that's not enough for you, or anyone, then i don't know what is. Plugin developers will hardly reveal sales figures, if they don't feel, or have to.

wagtunes wrote:you don't know shit.
True, but we can see that a wagenheim* certainly does! Good night.

*http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =wagenheim
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “Instruments”