Mic for home studio - Budget around $ 300

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys ,

Can anyone suggest me a good mic for recording vocals for around $ 300 ?

If you have an acoustically well-treated recording space, there are a lot of good condensers...depends on the flavor you want, and male/female vox, etc.

For a less-perfect environment, a large-diaphragm dynamic is the way to go (I love the Shure SM-7B for male vox but you need a preamp with lots of good clean gain).

I have a RODE NT-1 which I use for vocals and guitar. Sounds great.

se electronics se x1 is slowly becoming a classic. Sounds great, looks great, cost peanuts. I think you can't really go wrong with most of the mics in the $150/300 range, anyway.

If you can, demo the Telefunken M81. Exceptional microphone. I'm lucky enough to have a locker that includes Flea, Wunder, Soundelux and other very fine microphones. I plan to pick up a few M81s. Inexpensive mic that is not a cheap mic.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Hi Guys ,

Thanks for the response .
I have 4 choices now and need to choose one :) ..

1. I don't have my room treated . I'm actually planning on buying a Kaotica Eye ball . Please give me suggestions on that .

2. Now , considering that I don't have my room treated and if I would get the kaotica eye ball , Please let me know which mic would suit me .

3. I don't have a preamp as well . Would I need one ? Will that help my home recording studio ?

4. Also please let me know the difference between Rode NT1 and Rode NT2 . Which one is better for vocal recording among the two ?

Thanks in advance .

1. i don't know the eyeball. Is that the thingy which nearly completely swallows your mike? I am not sure what to think of that idea, anything close to the mic will invariably influence the sound, if it is good or bad has to be tested. How much is it?

First question is: does your room really sound bad? Go around your room singing or clapping in your hands, do you hear nasty resonances or flutter echos? Find a spot where it is not that bad. Try to build a "vocal cabin" with things you have: a mattress, thick blankets on a solid mike stand, book shelf. Does it sound a little better?

2. Sorry, nobody hear can possibly know what microphone will suit you. That really depends on your voice. Is it loud? Thin? Voluminous? Prone to harshness or sibilance? A mic that fits one voice perfectly can be crap on another one.

3. If you have an audio interface with an integrated preamp, you don't necessarily need a separate one. Some microphones like the aforementioned SM7B need very powerful preamps with low noise which you probably won't find in the builtin preamps of cheaper prosumer audio interfaces.

4. I have the NT1 but not the NT2. Pretty much all condenser microphones in that price area will work on vocals, if you take into account my point 2.: not all of them work on all vocals.
The NT1 is a petty good mic for the price, though, it is not as hyped in the highs as others. The SM7B is good for louder vocals and provides some "authority", and it doesn't catch as much room sound and environmental noise as others, but I am not sure whether it is really a good microphone for beginners. I have one but am not sure I'll keep it. It is a good one, yes, but I find it not easy to work with.

If I were you I would look around further, ask for opinions but be more specific (like describing your voice, your musical style, your precise room situation), and then, if possible , order two microphones at an online shop that has some money back guarantee (or whatever they might call it. Like thomann in Germany/Europe), test them at home and send the one back you like less...

vignesh.vijay wrote:4. Also please let me know the difference between Rode NT1 and Rode NT2 . Which one is better for vocal recording among the two ?
I bought the NT-1 because it has a higher spec than the NT-2, and also a great reputation for recording vocals. You'll need an audio interface (or mixer) with phantom power to use a condenser mic like the Rode.

The Se2200a is a great all around mic that is sturdy as steel.

pandashake wrote:The Se2200a is a great all around mic that is sturdy as steel.
Mmmm ... looks very nice.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
vignesh.vijay wrote:4. Also please let me know the difference between Rode NT1 and Rode NT2 . Which one is better for vocal recording among the two ?
I bought the NT-1 because it has a higher spec than the NT-2, and also a great reputation for recording vocals. You'll need an audio interface (or mixer) with phantom power to use a condenser mic like the Rode.
I use Scarlett 2i4 as my audio interface and have Yamaha Hs 5 for monitors

thecontrolcentre wrote:
pandashake wrote:The Se2200a is a great all around mic that is sturdy as steel.
Mmmm ... looks very nice.
I had the SE2200a in its first revision and it had a very hyped hi-end IMHO, definitely not for all voices. But the new one might be different...

Try the AKG P220 ($150) or a Heil PR40 ($320). Listen to Rode demos to hear if you like its highs. I would get the mic first before the eyebal & listen to the room through it. You may need to treat the area behind you more than the rear reflections. Also you can line a folding cloth storage box with Auralex to make a cheap eyeball.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I'd get the mic that looks the best in your studio. Sometimes black looks great, but perhaps one of those green mics with a gold screen will look better. An unpublished, and context dependent, spec that you might want to try and get some data on is the CPD rating. That's the number of chicks per dollar spent that you can pull with a particular vocal mic, again, color is very important.

I've had great luck with these, $33 and they come with a shock mount. Keep in mind that the red works for me, after all, I have a Nord. That's important, other gear can serve to amplify, or in fact, diminish, the CPD rating of your microphone. If you have a solid state hammond organ, for example, it's best to keep that in the room with other buzzkills, you know, accordions, flutes, etc.

YMMV.

fese wrote:1. i don't know the eyeball. Is that the thingy which nearly completely swallows your mike? I am not sure what to think of that idea, anything close to the mic will invariably influence the sound, if it is good or bad has to be tested. How much is it?

First question is: does your room really sound bad? Go around your room singing or clapping in your hands, do you hear nasty resonances or flutter echos? Find a spot where it is not that bad. Try to build a "vocal cabin" with things you have: a mattress, thick blankets on a solid mike stand, book shelf. Does it sound a little better?

2. Sorry, nobody hear can possibly know what microphone will suit you. That really depends on your voice. Is it loud? Thin? Voluminous? Prone to harshness or sibilance? A mic that fits one voice perfectly can be crap on another one.

3. If you have an audio interface with an integrated preamp, you don't necessarily need a separate one. Some microphones like the aforementioned SM7B need very powerful preamps with low noise which you probably won't find in the builtin preamps of cheaper prosumer audio interfaces.

4. I have the NT1 but not the NT2. Pretty much all condenser microphones in that price area will work on vocals, if you take into account my point 2.: not all of them work on all vocals.
The NT1 is a petty good mic for the price, though, it is not as hyped in the highs as others. The SM7B is good for louder vocals and provides some "authority", and it doesn't catch as much room sound and environmental noise as others, but I am not sure whether it is really a good microphone for beginners. I have one but am not sure I'll keep it. It is a good one, yes, but I find it not easy to work with.

If I were you I would look around further, ask for opinions but be more specific (like describing your voice, your musical style, your precise room situation), and then, if possible , order two microphones at an online shop that has some money back guarantee (or whatever they might call it. Like thomann in Germany/Europe), test them at home and send the one back you like less...
Thanks so much for the information . That was helpful .

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”