Keyboard Review: Nektar Impact LX88

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

Here's a video review I created on the Impact LX88 from Nektar. It's an 88-key semiweighted keyboard, and in general I really think this keyboard is a great buy - for the price you get a solid working 88-key MIDI master keyboard. RRP $299.

Here is the review! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV98xf3EVhU

Enjoy!! You can ask if you want to know anything specific, and again: excuse my somewhat jumpy scandinavian english haha.

W.

Nice job on your review, this controller is definitely interesting to me!

Highly informative.

Love your playing, had to check out the rest of your youtube channel. Awesome stuff would like to see more of your performances.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Thanks for the great review Walid! I'm glad you are enjoying your LX88. :tu:

Nice, I opened up a thread about the LX88 a while back and now the review is here. Thank you. Watching ASAP :-)

Black keys different to white keys, that is not uncommon.
My M-Audio Axiom is also showing this behaviour.

I'm interested in this keyboard for quite some time now. I've read in a review though that there is no midi channel split of the keyboard. Is this still true, or has there been a software upgrade or something which adresses that? It's not essential for me to have it, but it would still be a nice thing. Edit: I saw that the 88 key version actually has midi split, while the 49 key version i was looking into obviously doesn't do so. Of course makes sense to have it with a larger amount of keys.

Hi Feroyn,
I would like to know if I could use this USB powered keyboard with an external module (ex. Korg Triton rack) using some sort of adapter that I would connect to the USB cable?
Would you know the name of one?
Thanks Frank

Hi Frank,

The Impact LX88 has a standard 5-pin MIDI output in addition to MIDI over USB. It can be powered with a 9v DC power supply (not included) or via USB. The other models in the Impact series only transmit MIDI via USB.

If you have any other questions, you can always contact me via the Nektar support system.

- Justin

No aftertouch on the latest 49/61?

I see it includes a bitwig 8 track version.... but no AT?

justin3am wrote:If you have any other questions, you can always contact me via the Nektar support system.

- Justin
but then the rest of us don't get to benefit from the answers :shrug:

I almost got the LX88 a while ago, but then I had to put off my purchase in order to prioritize other things. I'm looking at an 88-note controller once more and as before, the Nektar offering seems to be the best value and to have everything I want. The upcoming LX88+ looks even better.

The Nektar is also attractive because I am NOT looking for a hammer action but for a synth or semi-weighted action.

The only caveat is that I've read that users were experiencing differences in velocity response between the black keys and the white keys. In some cases and especially for some Kontakt libraries apparently this was an important issue. One solution (I don't know if it's possible) would seem to be if you could adjust the velocity response separately for all white keys vs. all black keys.

At any rate, I'm wondering/hoping that it might be better in the new "plus" version?

Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks for your interest in the Impact LX88+. The keys on the LX88+ have been improved according to user feedback. Of course our customers will ultimately decide but I think folks will be very happy with the improvements.

If you have questions, you can always PM me or contact me through the Nektar support system.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
justin3am wrote:If you have any other questions, you can always contact me via the Nektar support system.

- Justin
but then the rest of us don't get to benefit from the answers :shrug:
Understood, but I don't always see topics like this (as you can tell, by my delayed response :hihi:).
I'm just saying that using the Nektar website is the quickest way to get in touch with me. You can always point me to forum topics where our products are being discussed. I hope that makes sense. :)

After much consideration and after watching Walid's video many times, the LX88+ is the keyboard controller I will buy next week. Thanks to the honest salesmanship of Walid and a price tag that is within my budget. I hail from Bryan/College Station, Texas home of Texas A&M University, Whoop!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”