VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

planetearth wrote:
Apostate wrote:
planetearth wrote:
xamido wrote:Let's get back to the topic shall we. I like Tone2 stuff, but the 2.0 update is underwhelming for me. Most of the changes are sound engine, not features. It should have been a 1.5 update.
I'll grant you that. I think the Electra 2 update was a little more significant.

Steve
It's pretty killer, imo.

I did a test and recorded a lead with the Menschlich patch in Saurus, then tried to find something similar in the Arturia Mini V and Diva. Didn't, and that makes me edge toward buying it even more. There actually does seem to be stuff Saurus can do that those other (excellent) synths can't.

I'm frankly a little surprised as well as miffed, I just bought Diva last week. Oh well, it's still an amazing synth, can't imagine too many here would argue that.

Or maybe I'm underestimating KVR :lol:
No, I think you're on the right track--but watch what you say about Diva. There are some real "u-he fanboys" on here. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: I like u-He and Urs' products just fine. They have some great stuff. So save your letters and phone calls asking for my resignation, lads. It's a damn synth; it's not the cure for cancer.

Steve
I'm with you, BIG fan of Diva, amazing synth. As I mentioned, it does freek me out that I am finding things on Saurus (and even in the Arturia V collection GASP!) that I can't do with Diva.

Saurus is looking more and more like a purchase for me. I'm kind of holding off buying while I'm playing around with the Hive demo...one or the other (Hive actually doesn't sound too far from the other U-he and even Tone 2 synths I already own...so hate me).
Ha ha suck it!

Wow, that synth has such a lovely sound, even on my headphones, I do think it sounds very analog. Was just playing around with the Analog Poly patch, modifying it a bit, and all of a sudden I had exactly the sound I know from an old Brazilian song from the 80s I love :)

It sounds a lot better than Sylenth and Hive in my view. It actually sounds a bit similar to Arturia's SEM, but uses a whole lot less CPU.

I guess I will finally buy Saurus after all, wanted to do so since it first came out, but was not really convinced, until now.

planetearth wrote: Are you one of the users mentioned by FLS or are you just using the occasion to crusade against Tone2 ?

I mean if you feel Tone 2 is the Darth Vader of the plugin world, why don't you just use other software?

I'm just getting tired to see any thread related to Tone2 software boil down to the same old accusations
+1

Check out the Tone2 Electra 2 thread and you'll see many of his same negative comments there: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=375.

I think Abraham Lincoln said it best when he said, "Haters gonna hate; trollers gonna troll".

Steve [/quote]
Oh come on now. Neither of you could honestly be so blind unless you're just looking for something to get upset about. I own many Tone2 prodcuts. They make good products. You're skipping my criticisms of the company.

I don't honestly believe either of you think that somebody needs to think a company is perfect to think it's good at all. Tone2 is a good company. Just a real weird one. Considering my praise of the synth itself in both threads, you two are just baiting cus you can. The similar comments for the Electra thread is because it too is a product I'm demoing. Makes sense you'll find similar comments about 2 demos from the same company in their respective threads.

You both know I'm not trolling or "hating". Very silly lot you guys are.

ANYWAYS:

This is a strong upgrade. The LCD reflection is a weird way to give the interface a slightly different look. Resonance sounds a bit different in Saurus 2. The sound isn't hugely different between them beyond those changes in resonance. Of course keeping in mind whether you run any EQ processing that they offer on board. The reverb sounds different now. The ability to set noise levels is nice. It's not a revelation but it is indeed an improved version of Saurus. Fans of the Saurus 1 should be happy and those who haven't tried Saurus before should definitely check this v2 upgrade out.

I like the white skin that is included with the Tone2 Arpeggiator bank, you can see it in this other thread :
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=380900

The one towards the bottom with the different controls is nice.

Bought :)

Yeah, I wish they would stop ripping people off with their expensive expansions. The white skin should be free for all customers.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Bought :)

Yeah, I wish they would stop ripping people off with their expensive expansions. The white skin should be free for all customers.
Have to say, as a guy who really doesn't do arps much, I wish the skin was a separate thing. There's no way I'm going to shell out $50 for presets I won't use just to get a completely unrelated skin, even though I like it. That's a lot for presets I DO like, far as I'm concerned.

dwozzle wrote:

Have to say, as a guy who really doesn't do arps much, I wish the skin was a separate thing. There's no way I'm going to shell out $50 for presets I won't use just to get a completely unrelated skin, even though I like it. That's a lot for presets I DO like, far as I'm concerned.
$50!!! Where? (excessive drooling)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Wow, that synth has such a lovely sound, even on my headphones, I do think it sounds very analog. Was just playing around with the Analog Poly patch, modifying it a bit, and all of a sudden I had exactly the sound I know from an old Brazilian song from the 80s I love :)

It sounds a lot better than Sylenth and Hive in my view. It actually sounds a bit similar to Arturia's SEM, but uses a whole lot less CPU.

I guess I will finally buy Saurus after all, wanted to do so since it first came out, but was not really convinced, until now.
I have owned Arturia's Mini V for a couple of years now, but when I tried to find that patch similar to "Menschlich" I got kind of bummed out about how much thinner the Mini V sounded in comparison. I used the Mini V on my upcoming album, but I'm kind of glad it hasn't gone into the final mix now, I think I might replace the V with the Saurus. I wanted kind of a Rainbow Rising Moog-y thing...am shocked that the Saurus gave me something that, well, sounded better.
Ha ha suck it!

Maybe the skin should be free, but actually $50 for 200 presets plus 100 arp patterns is ok to me. If you look up some other preset packs (not "all" of course :wink: ) , many times they will sell (for instance) maybe 64 presets and it might be around $15-20. 64 presets is about 1/3 the amount of what you get with the arp presets from Tone2.

Some examples of prices I found:
http://soundsforsynth.com/product-category/synth/diva/

Good morning Connecticut :)

Yes of course, I was talking about the skin only. I don't care about sound sets, if people want to use third-party sounds, they might as well pay for it.
But I think the skin has nothing to do with that, it affects the synth as such and tying it to such a sound expansion is unfair I think. Not everyone has the money to buy such expansions, and many, like me, don't need them. So why would I buy the expansion just in order to get a skin?

You are buying the presets - the skin is just an incentive to do so. Not giving it away for free for their customers is a rather poor business decision. :roll:

Maybe just keep your Sylenth? :D

I doubt that Tone2 is better in bug-fixing than LD. :P

Nope, the new Saurus sounds better, fuller, more analog and old-skool than Sylenth to my ears, and and unlike Sylenth it has real pulse width control, not a workaround which consumes an entire layer and yet sounds flawed :P

Tone2 is an active company, they do fix bugs and maintain their stuff, obviously. More frequently than LD for sure.

Yeah, I retract what I said about $50 being too much for presets I'd use, totally bogus statement. I was reacting to the skin only being available as part of a preset pack, "sloppy targets", as my mom used to say.

Presets are worth what they're worth to customers, which is highly variable, depending on a million things -- cost of the synth, number of presets in the pack, the soundware developer's history and cred, and ultimately their usefulness as sounds and inspiration to each potential buyer. I have no right to say what number that is for any specific case, and really don't mean to.

Personally, I don't buy presets that much, for a number of reasons, but I have HUGE respect for the many patch programmers here and elsewhere, and very much enjoy seeing what they come up with. They're inspirational as sounds, and educational as to what a device can do.

So, minus a couple angel points for me.

Now about that skin... It'd be great if it was available separately, as well as with a patch bank.

Yeah, they should offer it separately, maybe charge 5 bucks for it if necessary :wink:

Hey, my soundset for Nemesis is only 29 euros https://tone2.com/html/ambientica.html shameless plug ;-P
If I can ask, should I decide to make one for Saurus, what kinds of sounds would you like (apart from dance/club/dubstep/etc, which I do not do)?

By the way, the idea of skins sold separately is not bad, maybe somebody should suggest it...

It ships with lots of presets and there are various sound sets available already covering everything possible with that relatively simple synth...

Return to “Instruments”