Is Bitwig the same as Ableton Live?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's a difference between these 2?

Ableton Live was first, Bitwig just came out and is made by ex Ableton engineers.

Both share lot of concepts, Bitwig has some new things that are pretty cool.

I would say that if you learn to use one you can probably work in the other without problems
dedication to flying

ls1xxx wrote:What's a difference between these 2?
There are demos for both products.

At least I thought there was. I can't seem to find alberton live's product page anywhere. :lol:

Does Bigwig have Automatic Tempo detection in the Clip Launcher? And also Auto Quantize Midi notes while recording?

ls1xxx wrote:Does Bigwig have Automatic Tempo detection in the Clip Launcher? And also Auto Quantize Midi notes while recording? Warping?

Abletit Wiglton

ls1xxx wrote:Does Bigwig have Automatic Tempo detection in the Clip Launcher? And also Auto Quantize Midi notes while recording?
yes

BWS has much more useful basic concepts for the workflow(unified modulation, multi-clip editings, automation looping etc.), AL has more advanced features and M4L(so the community power) , but the basic workflow especially in the arrangement view is PITA in it

some workflow example:
BWS has horizontally/vertically clip launcher area
has mixer panel (with the devices)
can display the added macro setting visually

ReWiring (can be done using Bidule as in the picture), step recording, groove extraction, freezing are the main things which ones are missing from BWS (for me) but the workflow is far superior in it (and has nice GUI design)

both ones can handle Push quite nicely

ps. BWS has Multiplicative Automation (x) (an other modulation form beside the a additive one which is supported by AL too)

Multiplicative Automation (x) means to "scale a parameter toward zero, anywhere from 100% of its current value to 0%" (Bitwig manual).

which not f*k your knob settings (set them to constantly changing absolute values) so u can play them much more freely (http://bitwigtutorials.net/tutorials/au ... ation.html)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

as someone who used both.......ableton is more stable and consistant, bitwig shows some serious promise but isn't "there" with the execution.

I abandoned both, but for very different reasons. Neither sucks ;)

I have both, I have always loved Live for the easy way to combine complex chains of effects, and particularly weird M4L stuff. Bitwig holds out an additional promise in that chains of fx in Bitwig can potentially be better integrated as a whole by use of its modulation system, however the downside is at the moment Bitwig has some pretty boring and unimaginative fx, I am hoping this will change when they fully open up the modular architecture.

I also have both. BWS is pretty cheap in the sale, if I was starting 'again' and had no other DAW I would go BWS...It can do most of what Live does and it can also do most of what Logic/Cubase does so I can use it for more liner type editing/song creation. I don't use Live in a Live context (I don't DJ etc.), so BWS is probably better suited for me in the long run, but it depends what happens with Live 10...so I am backing both horses for now ;-)

The speed that BWS is being developed is impressive, and the Dev's are active here on KVR which is a great- they seem to be listening.

The Ableton team have been very quiet really for quite a while, there were a few new bits from 8 to 9, but nothing revolutionary (it was mainly about PUSH and going 64 bit), so I suspect Live 10 will be a major update (they have a lot to do juts to catch up with BWS on many levels...but Ableton is a much bigger team). Live 9.2 is solid, it works, it looks simple but has a lot of complexity when you dive in.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I think most of the future potential for Live comes from Max... I think max for live is responsible for a lot of the innovation we need in the DAW world..

And while bitwig may have some features missing in Live, the fact that Live has Max does give Live a huge advancement when it comes to being a toolbox for composition and music creation and inovativity..

Don't forget the large installed base of Live. Useful for all the times you need help/tips etc.

That said, choose one, learn it, and stick with it, that's all. People used to make music on a friggin' Atari.

Is there a Glue tool like the one in Cubase where I can merge Regions together in the arrange view? If so what's it called and where is it? I'm really starting to like this daw. Fun to use!

There's no tool but you can hit ctrl+j to consolidate.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”