mux patches

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, here are 2 Patches to play with, they are only sounds, not synths as such.
Both atmospheric types.
I created Deathwatch after listening to a patch in Cakewalks fantastic synth, Rapture.
Primordial uses 2 MFO's so if on a low powered cpu you could reduce the polyphony although its not too bad as is, it doesnt have a front panel so you'll have to open her up if you want to tweak her
I only use headphones and laptop speakers so feel free to adjust accordingly :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Ahahaha, thanks, Andreas, vielen Dank! Thanks, runaudio!
OH man, you guys...what I've got cooking right now is really fancy, honestly! :D
I almost want to post it already, but it could use a bit more tweaking and beautifying, but it's getting there...

Mike, don't worry, I've found a neat way of making them sound a lot more interesting already that involves virtually nothing but a careful envelope. I'm putting tweak stuff on the front panel, too.

Some things aren't easy to think up in terms of performance features. One has to put a thinking cap on when it comes to organizing MIDI mapping and parameters. It's really like visual programming. I can almost see the kind of "minority report" scenario, designing a sound, hahaha.

Anyway, next version of the choir is coming up shortly! I'm totally like: :hyper:

Bibz, those are WAY cool! Great job!!! :tu:
I dig both of them, really...was gonna pick a favorite, but they're equally fascinating! :clap:

Deathwatch makes me think of a Predator taking a nap in the tree tops and dreams. :hihi:

Thanks Taron for your appreciation and your 'little' creations, keep them coming :D
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Classic Choir Ahh (v2.1)
(made with MuLab v6.4.23)

Category: voices
Range: d#1 - a4 is ideal
Special: besides the range, pitch bending and vibrato go through wavetable

Changes for v2.0:
Front panel is designed now. Additional performance features added...
- wave index
- expression (controller (#2) is reversed for playability with modulation stick)
- velocity on wave index
- speed of envelope on wave index

- volume section (envelope, gain, velocity)
- volume boost (gives a low bandwidth boost)

- reverb section (for those, who don't have a better one, really.)

Idea and Story behind it remains the same as in the first Choir post, hehe, but well...as does my plead to Jo! :pray:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Taron on Fri May 01, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's a little preview of "Matty", another female voice I poked into and experiment with other aspects that could sound natural.

Again, you best hook a reverb to it to really get more of the power this might get! 8)

It puzzles me a little bit that this MUX with embedded samples is so much larger than it would be with the separate wavetable file, because that is only 15kb. I'm guessing that embedding inflates each waveform to the full 1024 samples (right?!) and then, yeah, that would make sense... :dog: ...so, I'll keep that in mind and will have another look at wavetable versions instead.
But still... 156kb uncompressed for the sound it can get is nice. Could be just 15kb, though. :party:

Once I'll have added all the other ideas and a proper front panel I make a nicer release...but this one's good fun, too!

Great work Taron :party:

Especially Choir2 sounded interesting.

Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Thanks, sbj!
I think, Matty could get quite useful, too, even if far more limited in range, she can truly feel natural in the mid- or background.

Here's another epiano first, though...

EPlex A v1.1
(made with MuLab v6.4.22)

Category: keys
Range: ~
Special: One knob for hit speed...

Idea behind it:
After observing waveform changes from low to high frequencies in a number of different sampled instruments, I focused some more on the difference in complexity from low to high notes. Although I understood that a long time ago, I rethought ways to deal with phase rotations of higher sub-frequencies. I also listened for classic formant offsets, when a sound starts to sound like Mikey Mouse, you know, carefully nudging the still crudely implemented "note to modulation conversion" (while I'm happy it exists in the first place, but man...). I'm not sure, if I better wait for Jo to address that subject, but I do know that I need a bit more experience to really control perfectly what I'm after, but for the time being, this makes a nice and useful sound, I'm sure. :phones:

Dear Jo:
Modulation Mapper where you can determine Amplitude min and max without limit or like a +-10,000% limit.
Last edited by Taron on Fri May 01, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pluck hard
(made with MuLab v6.4.23)

Category: electronica
Range: ~
Special: Flexibility. Works great as bass as well as classic sequence sound up to a kind of harp

Dear Jo:
Would be nice if one could put Oscillator "Layers" option on the front panel or make Unisono switch.

Taron wrote:Dear Jo:Would be nice if one could put Oscillator "Layers" option on the front panel or make Unisono switch.
Hey Taron, thanks for sharing your feature requests. I'm sure you already read: About Feature Requests
So know that even if i don't explicitly reply on things, i do read things, and take relevant notes. As you know by now i do have to make a selectionas there are many more FRs possible than i'll ever be able to implement. That said, new updates with improved and extended features will come step by step. Cheers!

Ah yes... I just write down notes around the patch I'm making here, you know. I'll go the official way then, when it's itching too hard! ;)
Thanks, Jo!

Taron wrote:It puzzles me a little bit that this MUX with embedded samples is so much larger than it would be with the separate wavetable file, because that is only 15kb.
I see that you're using 16 waveforms in the Matty Multiform oscillator definition, not 16 sample grains. So why do you expect a sample to be used?

That sounds like some weird confusion there. I've also answered the size difference to myself already, realizing that a waveform is always 1024, I assume, while grains can be at any size.

I've experimented with both, using waveforms and open sample pieces into them as well as just using grains, you know.

So...don't worry! As for embedding, I was only confused about it, because I had until then only worked with waveforms, which are always embedded (thankfully!). That's all. I wouldn't mind, if grains would be embedded as well, though, if so desired.

Taron wrote:That sounds like some weird confusion there. I've also answered the size difference to myself already, realizing that a waveform is always 1024
2048 by default. But there is the "Multi-Waveform Size" preference. See http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/multiformosc.html
while grains can be at any size.
Indeed.
As for embedding, I was only confused about it, because I had until then only worked with waveforms, which are always embedded (thankfully!).
Yes and that won't change. But chance is high that embedding samples will be abandonned, so only linking samples will be supported, for the reasons mentioned earlier in this topic. I'll add an "Export Consolidated Preset" function that will do almost all thinking work for you, the result will be a zip file that contains all necessary files, and the zip can be easily shared to another system.

So, when you make a waveform inside an oscillator, it will be saved externally and will be only referenced?
That feels a wee bit odd, but well... I'm all for consistency, true, as long as it won't complicate things.

AH, 2048, ok, thanks. 8-)

Return to “MUTOOLS”