Enzyme- It's new to me.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote:The surprise I got from it was that it was impossible to make sound good.
Haha. Fair enough. It does have a very specific sound, and I use it only in very specific contexts. The sound most reminds me of the Prophet VS, actually.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I just RTFM. Honestly, there is almost nothing in there that gives any indication of what affect changing any of the parameters might have. I'm fine with that, although I learned nothing. I'd say the manual was written as punishment for chewing gum in class rather than to fully explain the synth. Again, I'm fine with trial and error. The possibilities are not lost on me, especially regarding the mod matrix.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

rustman wrote:I just RTFM. Honestly, there is almost nothing in there that gives any indication of what affect changing any of the parameters might have. I'm fine with that, although I learned nothing. I'd say the manual was written as punishment for chewing gum in class rather than to fully explain the synth. Again, I'm fine with trial and error. The possibilities are not lost on me, especially regarding the mod matrix.
I only have the CM edition so I was interested in whats under the hood. It seems to me to be a wavetable-physical modelling hybrid that uses the wavetables as sort of an impulse response to a physically modeled string design.

It's probably good at producing complex evolving pseudo-acoustic type sounds unsure why the demos and presets are mainly distorted and wobble wobble type sounds. The guy on their youtube who tries to explain it doesn't really go in depth on the synthesis page at all he even says something like "it's difficult to predict what changing any knob does". If you're making something complex and unique it'd probably be better to explain and show why it is rather than show it can do what basically any other synth can.
http://drunk3nj3sus.blogspot.com/ < My blog
Free samples, presets, etc.

Just a warning, I installed the demo of this after seeing this thread (I already had the CM version). Played with the stand alone version a bit (kind of odd they are shipping SAVIHost as their stand alone program host, didn't think it was licensed for that, asked me for a donation when starting the demo).

Anyway decided it wasn't for me and I went to uninstall it. It didn't put an uninstaller in the Control Panel (I'm on Win 7 x64) but did have an uninstall link shortcut in the Start Menu/Program Files. So I ran that. It promptly deleted my entire Music folder under Program Files, so I lost all the links to my installed music apps. Had to restore them from my system backup (made yesterday).

It's possible the way I do things was unexpected. I install vst's in d:\Apps\vstplugins and d:\Apps\vstplugins64 and I add Music\ to the front of the Start Menu/Program Manager group when installing music software. So it put its "Humanoid Sound Systems\Enzyme" shortcut folder under Music. The uninstaller decided to remove the entire folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Music which took out all my system level Music shortcuts. Might also have had something to do with having the CM version installed (which it kind of wrote over I guess).

It also left the VST in place as well. I'd think twice before uninstalling the demo version.
-Matt

Well that sucks. Glad you had a backup. I forgot about the savihost message when I kicked off the standalone. That struck me as odd and irritating. I don't even know what it is. Standalones seem to cause more grief for me than good, so I rarely use them.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

I was asked to make a demo for this plugin about a year ago. I don’t think the demo made it on their web site, but that is ok- hoping to add other sounds to it and make something meaningful out of this song one day. https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral/enz ... astral-wav

My impression about this plugin after spending good amount of hours working with it: the plugin lacks precision. It is difficult to manage because many sounds come out of tune in relation to key they assigned to and filters not properly syncing to the tempo. I was explained how to adjust the filter sync, but even knowing how to do it, I was not able to make precise sync on many sounds. If you making abstract noise oriented music, you will be ok. This plugin can offer some strong heavy bases but it is not sufficient for “One synth challenge”. Because it was a demo, I had to use only this synth and I felt extremely limited when I was working with sounds this synth has available. Also they increased number of presents, it is not a plugin that would be enough to write entire song. It was sooooo hard to make it do what I needed it to do. I would find nice wooble bass and it would not sync, or I would find nice sound to play a melody, and it would be out of tune… I still think- it offers great supplemental sounds and can be great in combination with other synths.

Return to “Instruments”