April Contest: Voting

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vote for your Top 10 favorite compositions, in order (most-favorite = #1, proceed downward).

Voting ends on early a.m. (US Central Time), Friday, May 1.

No voting for yourself. Voters must have had 20 prior posts, or at least have participated in the contest this month.

Once you place your vote, you cannot change it, unless permission has been granted by the moderator.

In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 10 pts (i.e., how many #1 votes) they got, then 9 pts and so on. (Thanks to OSC for this rule.)

You must participate in voting to win prizes!

A useful link (but please note the caution at the bottom of the page) :
http://farlukar.x10.mx/kvrcontest/

Thanks and good luck.
No longer a moderator.

01 - rachMiel - m'pfaa
02 - DHMiltz - Ten Yep Ten
03 - Aziraphal - Turms The Etruscan
04 - DavidStiles - Ten Discrete Moments In The Life Of Alex K Riseborough
05 - Mr Natural - De-Construct Theme & Variation
06 - Beanpole - Ten In Three
07 - Hellfog - Ten Moments Of Thoughts
08 - Shangsean - Spelling Champ
09 - BojanKerkez - 10 in 1 Do Loops Dream of Becoming Songs

10pts: rachmiel - m'pfaa
- can't help but appreciate the weirdness that successfully evokes a wonderfully convoluted concept. but most of all, it's quite an achievement to make something sound retro, contemporary and futuristic at the same time. terrific production

9pts: Mister Natural - De-Construct Theme & Variation
- a tad too quiet, but most cohesive and pleasing sounding entry to my ears. excellent throughout

8pts: davidstiles - Ten Discrete Moments in the Life of Alex K. Riseborough
- David's entries are always impressive, both sonically and melodically, and this one is no exception

7pts: Hellfog - Ten Moments Of Thoughts
- a couple of tracks in this one are probably my favourites of the whole contest

6pts: D.H. Miltz - TenYepTen
- love the minimal instrumental parts (both Haikus, Ghost Pt1 and Ooh, Dramatic). beautiful sounds

5pts: beanpole - Ten In Three
- I find beanpole's entries highly amusing and I do hope that is his intention

4pts: Aziraphal - The Adventures of Turms the Etruscan
- amazing start, but then the cheesy sounding orchestration ruins it for me. with different instrumentation, different libraries or real instruments I'm sure the end result would sound much better. it did get me interested to seek out the book though

3pts: Laguna Rising - That 70's Bad Green Vibe
- I have a feeling LR is a Primus fan, a band I could just never get into. so it's basically a matter of aesthetic incompatibility, I suppose. but have to say his guitars in most tracks do sound really good

2pts: Shangsean - Spelling Champ
- very humorous and tongue-in-cheek at first, but then it felt like it would never end. nothing personal, heavy metal guitars and drumming just have that effect on me

1. DHMiltz - Ten Yep Ten
Interesting set of pieces, cohesive but distinct and all well-polished. 'Cops' is so poignant.

2. davidstiles - Ten Discrete Moments In The Life Of Alex K Riseborough
Nicely done, each section feels like it has a structure to it, all sections are related but not too similar.

3. hellfog - Ten Moments Of Thoughts
Lots of nice ideas here, Nyphamania needs to be made into a long track! Not so keen on the voice samples.

4. rachMiel - m'pfaa
N'gwa kekto mikn'esh hubnub-hubnub skoltar, if you get my drift?

5. Aziraphal - Turms The Etruscan
Love that sound that kicks the whole thing off. Good instrumentation throughout. Some of the sections blend together to the point I'm not sure I'd call them separate songs without the thunder cue.

6. LagunaRising - That 70s Bad Green Vibe
Nice 3-minute album. Quite a 'live' feel to it. Psycho Darkness, more of that please!

7. beanpole - Ten In Three
Plenty of stylistic variation between the sections. Some seemed to be left hanging a bit, not really ending before the next one started.

8. BojanKerkez - 10 in 1 Do Loops Dream of Becoming Songs
As you say, these are nice pieces but many of them feel more like snippets awaiting further work, rather than short songs.

9. Shangsean - Spelling Champ
REM get angry? Nice idea. I would have liked to hear some more stylistic variation.

10.MrNatural - De-Construct Theme & Variation
Nice track, enjoyed the variations, but it didn't really feel like 10 distinct pieces.

what a difficult challenge this month - at once; both 10 separate things within one 3 minute thing. Could not get my head around which side of that equation was more important. The obvious/simple answer was to mash-up 10 ideas and just call that a single piece. I found several successful entries of this challenge that were able to string together, across 10 places, a single musical idea that holds together.
1. Aziraphal - great storytelling within terrific orchestration. See a delightful eastern modality, add some bad-ass harp work and you've got a winner
2. rachmeil - I am unable, with my simple-brain to discern 10 (or is its 25 ?) different ideas going on here; each with passion. Music-Concrete is a wonderful thing in your hands, Rach
3. Hellfog - best of the mash-ups here. Really interesting ideas, the 4th one should be developed into something special. Totally surprised me with the nylon strings work - very nice !
4. Miltz - Delightful contrasts against the mash. Real (instruments/voices) vs "Unreal" places set against one another. Call it a tie between them.
5. ShangSean - Love the new MetalSean. This should be called, "SeanViper on his Harley" or something. Big production, lots of Prog (see next month)
6. DavidStiles - Brilliant voices, love the use of the shaker within all the woodwinds, strings. Nice discrete reeds & amazing voices
7. Laguna Rising - You are totally gonna win the May - Prog contest with this one ! All over the place with some delicious dissonance(s)
8. BojanKerkez - several really tasty ideas here, 10 great motives all mashed together. Love the double bass work
9. BeanPole - Another fun group of dittys with nice production. Plz develop the "You've Gotta Feel It" piece
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

1. beanpole - Ten In Three
2. David Stiles - Ten Discrete Moments in the Life of Alex K. Riseborough
3. Hellfog - Ten Moments Of Thoughts
4. Laguna Rising - That 70's Bad Green Vibe
5. Shangsean - Spelling Champ
6. Bojan Kerkez - Do Loops Dream of Becoming Songs
7. Aziraphal - The Adventures of Turms
8. Mister Natural - De-Construct Theme & Variation
9. rachMiel - m'pfaa
No longer a moderator.

1. The Adventure of Turms the Etruscan – Aziraphal
A picaresque-ish feel, set of events in the life of a character. Love the idea, the song titles, the cadential thunderclaps, the consistency of the feel and material, and the overall dramatic shape. Well done!

2. That 70s Bad Green Vibe – Laguna Rising
Very fun 70s feel to the songs, upbeat and well produced. Nice consistency over the set of pieces in terms of sound/feel. Mazel tov!

3. Do Loops Dream of Becoming Songs? – BojanKerkez
Nice job on these mini-choruses. There's an Eastern European meets electronica vibe about the set that's very nice, familiar but mysterious.

4. De-Construct Theme and Variation – Mister Natural
Nice laid-back and consistent vibe for the set of micro-songs. And a solid formal idea: theme and variations. The sparseness and slow beat are welcome reliefs from so much in-your-face overclocked music.

5. Ten Discrete Moments In The Life Of Alex K Riseborough – davidstiles
Love the title and picaresque-ish idea. Each moment is a complete-feeling unit, so, yes, they earn their "discrete"ness. Quite evocative, with closed eyes it's like watching a sequence of tender movie scenes.

6. Ten Moments of Thoughts – Hellfog
Nicely crafted micro-songs. Several feel like they want to be full-fledged songs when they grow up. My one reservation is that the entirety comes off more like a (really interesting!) sketchbook of ideas, rather than a unified album.

7. Spelling Champ – shangsean
Very cool concept for the form of the piece. And nice irony of metal(ish) spelling bee! Good hard metal sounds throughout ... though I would have liked to hear a bit more variety in feel from song to song.

8. Ten in Three – beanpole
A nice set of fun/upbeat shorties. Even though each micro-song is quite different, they definitely feel "of one piece." My one reservation is that I don't feel a sense of overarching storyline to the set.

9. Ten Yep Ten – D.H. Miltz
Nice variety in the styles of the songs, really makes them feel like 10 separate objects. Haiku 2 is my favorite, it really stands as a complete micro-song.

01. beanpole - Ten In Three
Signature Bean sound. The collection makes a great mini musical, complete with instrumental interludes for dance numbers featuring some gangsters.

02. davidstiles - Ten Discrete Moments In The Life Of Alex K Riseborough
Very tasteful symphonic miniatures. Although painting different emotions, looking at it as a whole, I get an impression of calmness and content.

03. DHMiltz - Ten Yep Ten
Very dark atmosphere, I would call it terminal mini-blues, but with playful haiku moments.

04. Shangsean - Spelling Champ
Great idea, keeps the common thread and the consistent hard rock sound throughout the project. Very loud mix, though I could wish for more power in the drums department.

05. hellfog - Ten Moments Of Thoughts
The widest style pallete I've seen in a long time. From hard rock via trance to Spanish romance and back to new age. A tenfold multiple personality disorder ... no, scratch the disorder.

06. LagunaRising - That 70s Bad Green Vibe
This garage band sure had some fun. And magic mushrooms. Diverse collection of guitar sounds, but some parts are just too detuned for me.

07. BojanKerkez - 10in1 Do Loops Dream of Becoming Songs
The songs feel more like introductions than choruses, I kind of keep expecting the vocal to kick in just as the next one starts, but each has the potential to evolve into a decent ballad. Last one is a surprise and my favorite by a long reach.

08. rachMiel - m'pfaa
Very industrial, evokes the enormous machines in Metropolis movie with lots of oomph and polished production. Hard to spot the transitions in a few places.

09. Mr_Natural - De-Construct Theme & Variation
A stroll through a sunny retirement home. Very stress relieving.

Many thanks for the review and votes :hug:

sorry, but ran out of time for reviews :(

1 ) aziraphal
2 ) hellfrog
3 ) davidstiles
4 ) beanpole
5 ) dhmiltz
6 ) laguna rising
7 ) mrnatural
8 ) bojankerkez
9 ) rachmiel
10 ) shangsean

D.H.Miltz
Shangsean
Laguna Rising
Hellfog
Mister Natural
davidstiles
Aziraphal
Bojan Kerkez
rachmiel
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

Bojan Kerkez
rachmiel
beanpole
davidstiles
Aziraphal
DHMiltz
LagunaRising
Shangsean
MrNatural

1. Beanpole
2. Davidstiles
3. Hellfog
4. Laguna Rising
5. D.H. Miltz
6. BojanKerkez
7. Aziraphal
8. rachmiel
9. Mr Natural

This was a great month! When I sat down and tried to put some kind of quantitative measure to these tracks, all my scores came out really close, so there's not much separation between my number 1 and my number 9. Absolutely everything was really well done. Still, I have to put them in order, so here we go:

1) D.H. Miltz - TenYepTen - Some beautiful stuff as well as tremendous variety here, and yet everything works together nicely as a cohesive set. Great work.

2) Aziraphal - The Adventures of Turms the Etruscan - Fun concept, and you developed it really nicely.

3) Hellfog - Ten Moments of Thoughts - I loved all of this, but especially "Slow Day," "Eco," and "Tripitina." Awesome stuff.

4) Mister Natural - De-Construct Theme & Variation - A magical opening, and great work making very subtle and natural transitions between the different variations.

5) rachmiel - m'pfaa - Very cool concept. I feel dangerously curious about the "full-value representations."

6) Shangsean - Spelling Champ - Really creative approach. I especially liked "Guardian."

7) Bojan Kerkez - Do Loops Dream of Becoming Songs? - Nice and mellow. I really liked "in the name of vibus," "two note piano arp," and "citynightscapes."

8) Laguna Rising - That 70s Bad Green Vibe - A fun theme, and very 70s indeed. "Psycho Darkness" and "A Lydian Feast" really stood out. You could have used this for the Prog Rock theme, too!

9) Beanpole - Ten in Three - Ten very likable songs. I particularly enjoyed "f**k UKIP" and "Pangalactic Gargleblaster."

Return to “Music Cafe”