Better analogue sound(vst)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Chopper wrote:It's not just the harmonies (that is just a small part of it) but the dynamic as well, either synth env or compressors.
Analogue, VA, digital... All got their places and we all know how this thread will finish...
This is where having some external tube gear can help as it reactes dynamically but doesn't eat half your CPU or add extra latency like current software modelling
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I don't think piling effects on is the answer. It's like asking what effects you should add to make an MS-20 VSTi sound like a real MS-20. The real one didn't need effects to sound that way, and if the software version is written properly, it won't need them either. In my opinion, it doesn't sound like real thing in that particular example, but adding more effects isn't going to improve the filter response at high resonance or audio rate modulation.

Just pick the best sounding synths to begin with and be done with it. Personally, I prefer Diva and Oddity 2.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I find Slate VCC 2.0 on channel and mix buss adds a nice subtle analogesque warmth and saturation to my VSTs.

Kaboom75 wrote:It's not the same thing as comparing digital TV to analogue TV.
It kind of is, though. All of this 'character' is distortion and limitations.

I use IKMM 670 for a couple of things. I use an exciter on most channels actually.

If you think switching from VA to real analog will make your songs sound better, you are deceiving yourself about the true nature of what is lacking in your music.

That said, "analog" sound isn't just about adding saturation to a digital signal. It's also about slight instabilities with pitch, a lower signal-to-noise ratio, and often, the tactile response of a physical synth and the playfulness/experimentation that it inspires. Having an inspiring interface (perhaps lots of extra knobs and sliders and whatnot) could perhaps contribute far more to your musicality than a subtle saturation effect will. And, tweaking knobs is much more fun than using a mouse or automation.

In my opinion, the feel of an instrument is every bit as important as (or perhaps even more important than) the tone of it. The most incredible sounds I've gotten out of analog synths came not because of the tone of the filters and oscillators, but rather because the interface itself inspired me to do things I never would have thought to do with a computer screen.

I guess my point is: if you want analog synth sound, play an analog synth. But, if your goal is to make good music, don't stress too much about the tools, or especially about other peoples' opinions of them.

Sjefke wrote:What effects are you guys using to make your virtual analogue VSTs sound more like real analogue?

Any tricks you want to share
It maybe would help to understand what softsynths you use and what real analogue sounds you are aspiring to?

Different periods and different genres tend to use different sounds and FXs and it can be that is more what you need to work on.

Having used analogue from new, switched to software, back to adding in hardware there do seem to be some differences but as said it would help to know what you are using and what you are aiming for.

All things being equal I find there is a difference in dynamic range - there seems in many older VAs everything is set up to play nice - whereas the hardware can get a bit lively at times. Other stuff I have isn't perfectly optimised all the way through - so it's easy to over drive the filter or the VCA. The older softsynths tended not to have those "features".
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

DiscDSP Thrillme
modern mojo classic

Don't give tek the satisfaction IMO. He is being dismissive of opinion and character
You're bad and you should feel bad Tek IMO hehe

I've heard good things about Vintage Warmer by PSP. It's a plugin I see get consistently good reviews around here for "imparting that analog mojo."

I actually own it (version 1) and when I've used it with extreme settings it seems to give stuff a distortion that you might associate with analog... Never have tried it with subtle settings, but that's the kind of guy I am. :D
A well-behaved signature.

Sjefke wrote:What effects are you guys using to make your virtual analogue VSTs sound more like real analogue?

Any tricks you want to share
I'll give you the answer

But keep your shirts on.... ready ?

Low-frequency EQ boost (around 110Hz) and a little high-end cut.

That's it. THAT'S IT.

Try it before you buy it (ie. buy the analog synths myth). :tu:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

I usually high end cut anything after 15 khz on synths and most other instruments except drums/cymbals, and maybe a bump in the low end just after the low cut point or just use a Pulltec style eq and do the old cut/boost trick, then add a little saturation to taste

I usually don't try to make it sound analog, but more so my mix is not harsh with too much high end and not muddy and boomy in the low end. Give certain main track elements some color and character and others are made to blend/layer just to fill in the frequency spectrum more.

Boucnce down through a set of transformers, like in all that quality big studio gear.

OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

I love the sound of TB Reelbus 3 on the master bus, with glue tape I or II and saturation turned down a bit. It makes my mixes fuller in some non-obtrusive way, the only thing I have to remember is to push the little -30dB buttons for hiss and noise because I really don't need these... they should be off by default.

I have no idea whether it makes the sound more analog, though, because I don't own any analog gear. Sometimes I'm looking for digital coldness anyway.

What if you want to preserve and enhance the rich tone of an already recorded analog synth sound in a digital daw with VST plugins without destroying or overprocessing it?

Nobody even raises an eyebrow when someone plays a tritone any more, what was once called 'The Devil's Interval'. And no one feels even slightly uncomfortable with all the altered and extended chords that listeners in the early jazz age heard and snapped to keen attention.

Everyone's ears and brains are so conditioned now to 'digital-sounding' music. Newer generations of listeners and younger musicians can't even tell what 'analog' sounds like any more.

Sure, you can go back and check out early vinyl records and listen to the older music, but my theory is that too many have their ears and brains corrupted and conditioned now.

Toss it in. Stop wasting time talking analog v. digital. It's all the same. Some of the nastiest digital clipping is thought to sound 'analog' by some these days. There's just no sense to any of the discussion any more.

Just go play, compose and listen to music you like to hear and forget about this endless nonsense, Thread No. 1578 about analog v. digital. Hang it up!

MarlaPodolski wrote: Sure, you can go back and check out early vinyl records and listen to the older music, but my theory is that too many have their ears and brains corrupted and conditioned now.
Your sentence implies that digital is bad and is corrupting the world, which sounds like a bunch of BS.
dedication to flying

Return to “Effects”