Ensoniq ASR/EPS emulating VSTi launched on kickstarter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I agree with most of what you're saying, aside from that the original EPS and EPS-16+ didn't offer anything over the ASR-10. Feature-wise this might be true, but the lower bit rate of the EPS for sure offers a lot, especially in terms of toughening up drums. Maybe something as simple as a switch to allow you to choose a sampling engine?
-Tom

https://assemblage23.bandcamp.com
http:/helix.bandcamp.com

that one is fully covered by the waveboy sonic demolition algorithms. with that, you can "dial down" the ASR in nice steps all the way back to the mirage. so, if the ESP chip is emulated, that should be all the low resolution dirt that you need.

I really hope that you can go forward with your emulation of the EPS VST. I have an EPS and just replaced the floppy drive with a USB emulator. If you could at least create an 8 slot VST that would load EFE and EFA files in each slot and would be accessible by the computer keyboard, that would be awesome! I was attempting to build an ESQ-1 emulator with Synthedit. I had a reasonable likeness with bitmaps until I found the SQ8L. I had no idea how to tie all the components together but I was going to try to learn. Now I don't have to! I purchased the EPS as a sysex recorder for my ESQ-1. Then I found that having a 16 track sequencer between the ESQ-1 and the EPS was very helpful to my music! I have tried to send sysex to the EPS but it doesn't seem to respond well. I can send everything to the ESQ-1. Too bad the EPS isn't set up that way. I really believe that if you create something that will load Ensoniq sampler files that people would buy it. I know I would!

Dead in the water I assume.

sonicvision wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 pm Dead in the water I assume.
Seems likely.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I think it may have been dead since 2015. I saw this little blurb on the Kickstarter page:

Funding Unsuccessful
The project's funding goal was not reached on Wed, May 20 2015 6:15 PM CDT

Sooner or later Arturia should tackle the Ensoniqs.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Why? They were samplers. You can convert the samples and load them into your computer. You don't need an emulator. What possible purpose could it serve?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Not all samplers sound the same, tho.

But that hardly warrants emulating them inside a computer.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Not really. Arturia did a stellar job with Synclavier and CMI.

In a way, I’m kind of surprised that Roland doesn’t have a cloud version of the SP606. Seems easy enough to do, and with of all the “slice to pad” software that is already out there, they could lure a few more prospective customers to the cloud environment. Then again, a virtual MV8800 would be even cooler.

BONES wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:27 am Why? They were samplers. You can convert the samples and load them into your computer. You don't need an emulator. What possible purpose could it serve?
Sample conversion for simple one layer samples usually works well but as soon as you get into more involved sample layering, key-ranges, filter settings, sample offsets and all of the FX routing and internals that add to the sound... simple sample conversion can't do it. Sure... basic wave files and loops ... no problem.

Call me when you attempt the Fizmo.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Filter, EQ bit and sample rates all have a more profound effect on the "magic" vintage samplers impart....much more than the converters IMO.

I miss my EPS-16 and Emax more for the workflow than the tonal variety as I'm able to dial it in easily with a multitude of software options. Maschine gets me 85% there.

Return to “Instruments”