2014 MacBook Pro with or without dedicated gpu for music mostly...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
Finally replacing my 2006 macbook pro (yes I know :-))
The 2014 15 inch macbook pros look good, so I am going for one of those: 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, either 2.5 or 2.8 Ghz processor.
The query is that some come with only the integrated Intel Iris Pro graphics chip whilst some have a separate NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory as well.
The Nvidia ones are slightly more expensive, the iris pro ones run cooler and battery lasts a bit longer.

Of course I am not doing Gaming or 3D videos on it, mostly music.

IS there any music software that takes advantage of the gpu and runs some processing on that, those making the Nvidia one a better choice? I remember a lot of talk about software using gpu acceleration a few years ago, but I don't' remember if any music software has actually implemented gpu processing.

So basically is it worth getting the ones with the Nvidia card as well?
thanks in advance.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: IS there any music software that takes advantage of the gpu and runs some processing on that, those making the Nvidia one a better choice?
I know that Acustica Audio's Nebula does :tu:

Passing Bye wrote:
zvenx wrote: IS there any music software that takes advantage of the gpu and runs some processing on that, those making the Nvidia one a better choice?
Ah thanks.
Don't use Nebula but useful info, at least one does :-).
Does it make a significant difference to its use?

thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

I honestly doubt it. I know that Fabfilter stuff uses some graphic acceleration for its GUI, but I doubt that would be anything an integrated GPU couldn't handle.
I'm not aware of anything that uses GPU to offload DSP tasks (well, Nebula apparently ;) ), so I'd say that for music production, it won't make much of a difference.

thanks BDeep.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
Ah thanks.
Don't use Nebula but useful info, at least one does :-).
Does it make a significant difference to its use?

thanks
rsp
Me neither, just saw somewhere that info recently :D

Without. GPUs arnt going to help with music. Its not used by DAWs.

thanks UltraJv
rsp
sound sculptist

Guess you are rocking trusty 10.6.8 right now, but what's the deal for upgrade, jumping on 10.10.x?

Hi, no I had to move to 10.7 long ago for several software, ironically most of which have now gone to 10.8 :-).
Apart from really do believing in using the latest versions of software that I have bought, I also beta test for several that require 10.8 and above.
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

So you are basically up to latest after the upgrade or you gonna go for 10.8 and stay there how long it lasts?

The plan is 10.9..... from reading reports that seems the stablest of the 3......
although I suspect all new macs will come with 10.10 installed.

which one do you recommend?
rsp
sound sculptist

If it is possible, than, 10.9 for sure, but here's the catch, that's not possible if you don't have it on your account already/if you didn't download it prior 10.10, that's why I started this OS talk, to see your decision and possibly touch upon this catch.

There's a way to get to 10.8, but from there only way is current/10.10 again, there's no legal way to obtain your free update to that particular version anymore, only current one...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377 ... ntain-lion

IMO this is easily overlooked and it's really one of those things that only Apple know how to pull off and take a dump in one perfectly fine day, I mean this is barely an issue for majority, but around here I think for some it is.

So just heads up, if you didn't for some reason downloaded 10.9 before, now you are between 10.8 or 10.10, if you ask me, 20 bucks is worth it, download 10.10 so you have it in your account for future just in case one day this happens again.

I never knew this.. thanks for bringing it to my attention..
rsp
sound sculptist

Sure, I stumbled upon it by accident and guess it's worth the mention :tu:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”