How large should a UI be at the most? Post your opinion.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Plugins should not be down sized just to work on some cheap ass laptop. :hihi:

I use Predator and luSH101 in "huge" mode all the time and love it (27 inch monitor, don't remember the exact reso at the moment....I'm not on that computer). But I agree the ability to select a size that fits your needs is obviously the most practical solution.

It also depends on the plugin.....simple delay plugin or complex synth.

Did you have a particular plugin in mind when asking this question ENV1 ?

Oh and for the record I wouldn't mind if every plugin had a GUI designed by ENV1.......... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The size of a 11 inch screen. Big enough to work with, but small enough for smaller screens. If you are stuck on one size. Adaptable is always better.

Teksonik wrote:Did you have a particular plugin in mind when asking this question ENV1 ?
Yes, an old project i once started. I was thinking of redoing it and making everything real big, thus i wondered how far i should go.

(Doesnt matter anymore though since im not going to share any more skins here. I will finish the PG-8X work but then that will be it. The PPG Wave episode made it quite clear that there seems to be a conflict between my way of handling things (part of which is my policy never to bother a developer with my stuff) and the ego of certain developers, and since im making skins for fun, not to ruin my day with endless debates about this aspect and that aspect and the other aspect only because i was nice enough to share my work for free with other people, not doing it again seems to be the only reasonable course of action if i want to avoid something like this happening again. Yes, its kind of sad and certainly quite uncool, but like i said to someone else some time ago, if it stops to be fun, and turning into stress instead, then its no longer for me. Because that is not what im doing this for.)
Teksonik wrote:Oh and for the record I wouldn't mind if every plugin had a GUI designed by ENV1.......... :tu:
Nicest thing anyone has ever said about my work.

But im afraid im not that good. :)

(On the contrary, there is stuff out there i couldnt do if my life depended on it. One reason for this is that i cant draw worth a damn.)

Maybe it also shoud fit some old VGA screens, because some very future-resistant user still hang on their 1997 computer :D

Fixed size was in the past. Better do 2-4 different sizes, this way you fit to different users and also to users that work with different computers, e.g. big screens in the studio plus a laptop.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Actually laptops now have the highest resolutions and smallest screens with high DPI. For example a 17" 1920x1200 is possible while for desktop monitors the smallest available is 24" at the same resolution.

Many of the touch-screen laptops are even higher resolution.

So you guys have it backward. Laptops and tablets are the reason we need jumbo GUIs.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Most plugins I have are up to 900x700 or so. I like that size. I have never had anything that was too big, but too small yes, like the Korg stuff.

Return to “Instruments”