Anyone excited to control their VSTs with Akai Advance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Big Tick wrote:At 7:50 you can see something the VIP solution can do, that the Nektar can't - switch plugins on the fly while a track is playing, to preview different sounds in context.
Actually, in Logic at least, the Panorama can switch between channel strip presets .. meaning you can switch between an entire chain of instrument+effects.

See 3:51 of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcEZubkax5U&t=3m51s

I wish the Panorama had the Advance's pretty pads, though. :love:
Last edited by Naenyn on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks T-CM11, it would have been cool though.
Maybe somebody will make one day a controller with full set(at least two dozens ) of infinite knobs in a friendly/standard synth setup layout, knobs with high res leds around, and parameter name + value tag display under each, intuitive layering to accommodate software tabs, etc. For such a piece of gear it may be worth taking the effort doing the mappings ourselves. A good community setup sharing system would work too.

I recently purchased a 61SLmkII and I must say the action is definitely awesome. However, I have to also say the buttons and knobs are horribly laid out and automap is a lot of downsides, it could be better. I'm actually going to return it, but not sure what to get instead as keybed feel is really important to me, but with new controllers coming out and perhaps some updates coming for the Komplete board...I'd rather wait and see. But there is no question that the Fatar TP-9S keybed on the novation is one of the very best feeling semi-weighted controllers, and by leaps and bounds. NI's is even better actually, I tried it, but its way expensive and NI has to make it more open before I can use it.

I am also anxious to see how the new Akai fares in terms of keybed. I wish Akai would make midi controllers with their smarts and pads and a fatar keybed. that would instantly become the industry standard in my opinion. I don't know why they keep insisting on using their sorta odd ball keybed that works for some people but definitely not for me and many others. Studiologic needs to update most of the midi controllers also, if they brought their midi controllers up to date with what they are doing on their NUMA line, I think that would also become a hit...
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote:I recently purchased a 61SLmkII and I must say the action is definitely awesome. However, I have to also say the buttons and knobs are horribly laid out and automap is a lot of downsides, it could be better.
Oddly enough, I recently sold my 49SLMkII to fund my purchase of my P6. I definitely agree with you that the keys felt great. The buttons and knobs .. not so much. And the pads .. wow, they were terrible. I do like how the knobs/sliders were touch-sensitive, though. That was kind of a neat gimmick.

I agree about Automap, too. I ended up never using it and removing all of the templates it created for my plugins. :scared: The approach VIP takes in that regard seems superior to me. I am curious to see what Novation comes out with in response to Akai and NI, though.

Naenyn wrote:Actually, in Logic at least, the Panorama can switch between channel strip presets .. meaning you can switch between an entire chain of instrument+effects.
This is cool, but unless you have defined channel strips for every single one of your virtual instruments presets, this will not allow you to preview all your bass sounds on a given track.

Big Tick wrote:
Naenyn wrote:Actually, in Logic at least, the Panorama can switch between channel strip presets .. meaning you can switch between an entire chain of instrument+effects.
This is cool, but unless you have defined channel strips for every single one of your virtual instruments presets, this will not allow you to preview all your bass sounds on a given track.
Good point! Definitely one advantage of having a layer between plugins and the daw. There are a lot of pros and cons to each approach.

Hm, it'd be nice if there was an industry standard way of handling that.

Astralv wrote:Layzer, I am with you. The only thing I could never master XY Pad. I can control it with mouse fine, but how do you record knobs movement or XY pad movement?
it depends on what DAW you use, Ableton Live and FL Studio do this fine when you set
up the DAW to record all automation and it will record your movements too, i know my
friend/bandmate in brazil does this all the time with ableton and i do this with fl studio
I'd rather buy bitwig at those prices but recording XY Pads is a matter of recording
automation, when you press record in fl studio it asks to record score & automation,
in ableton i don;t know how but i seen my friend do this. Zebra XY Pads, Sytrus, they
all can be controlled via browse parameters tab.

andy4trance wrote:Thanks T-CM11, it would have been cool though.
Maybe somebody will make one day a controller with full set(at least two dozens ) of infinite knobs in a friendly/standard synth setup layout, knobs with high res leds around, and parameter name + value tag display under each, intuitive layering to accommodate software tabs, etc. For such a piece of gear it may be worth taking the effort doing the mappings ourselves. A good community setup sharing system would work too.
I'm surprised that there's so few user and/or developer made Automap templates out there.
On the other hand, a template might be set up logically for someone else, but not for me. (e.g. I think non-continuous oscilator waveform selection should be a button, not a knob/encoder/fader)
Still, a user made template is usually easier to adapt than an automatically generated...

syntheticillusion wrote:
Astralv wrote:Layzer, I am with you. The only thing I could never master XY Pad. I can control it with mouse fine, but how do you record knobs movement or XY pad movement?
it depends on what DAW you use, Ableton Live and FL Studio do this fine when you set
up the DAW to record all automation and it will record your movements too, i know my
friend/bandmate in brazil does this all the time with ableton and i do this with fl studio
I'd rather buy bitwig at those prices but recording XY Pads is a matter of recording
automation, when you press record in fl studio it asks to record score & automation,
in ableton i don;t know how but i seen my friend do this. Zebra XY Pads, Sytrus, they
all can be controlled via browse parameters tab.
I use Cakewalk Sonar Platinum. It records automations such as changes in volume or pan. I never thought to use it to record the knobs movement. I will try it soon as possible. I thought- the software synths will not be recorded as automation because they are separate programs. This is why I record every keyboard controller movement with just MIDI transmit. Good point, thanks.

chaosWyrM wrote: they mapped 250 vsts...sure, thats nothing to sneeze at...but its not like its really that many in the grand scheme of things. most people will still have to either map things themselves or settle for whatever it gives them automatically. in the case of presets...have fun with it autotagging. it seems to be relying on proper tagging of presets by the people who made them, and they only did factory banks (which makes sense), so youll have to do your own 3rd party banks.

in the case of vst control it maps only "the most popular controls"...not all of them, and they decide which ones those are.

you HAVE to use a map...and i dont see anywhere where it will make a map for you like automap does (which is why theres an "auto" in there)

they did 250 ...and are calling that "most of the vst instruments available on the market today". im not so sure it is, and im damn near positive its not most of the vstis people actually use. so...people are going to have to do it themselves.

all in all...it doesnt sound to me personally that they really spent that much time mapping/inputting things.

again...dont get me wrong...i think it sounds cool and all...but i certainly wouldnt spend that kind of money for that software or that controller.

and finally, the amount of time and money it takes to make software has no bearing on its value. i could theoretically spend 5 years and 20 million dollars to write software that automatically sends out a text saying happy birthday on your birthday. is it then worth $500? i have to recoup my investment dont i?

the value comes from what it does not how long and how much it took to make.

is vip+controller worth $600? im sure to some it is. not to me though.

i would consider throwing them a hundy for the software alone...maybe.

here from the akai website:

Plugin Maps

Included with the VIP software are over 250 Plugin Maps for most VST Instruments (VSTi) on the market today.

Keep in mind that you do not need a Plugin Map in order to use your favorite VSTi with VIP. You can easily manage and import maps for your own VST instrument plugins, import and add presets, and customize your tags. You can find a video walk through here.

What is a Plugin Map?

A Plugin Map gives you the following:

Automatic Factory Preset Importing

The VIP software automatically imports all of the built-in factory presets from your favorite VST instrument (VSTi) directly into the VIP software for instantaneous access.

You can also easily and quickly import all of your own User Presets. Here is a video walk through.

Automatic Category Tagging

The VIP software automatically assigns Category Tags to all of your VST Instrument (VSTi) presets that have been imported. This allows for the ability to find the specific sounds you want without the need to scroll through all of the individual VST instruments and their presets.

Every factory preset is automatically tagged according to the type of sound it produces, such as Instrument Type, Timbre, Genre, and Articulation.

You can also easily add and delete tags as you see fit, create new category tag names, and assign any tag(s) to your imported user presets without limitation. Here is a video walk through.

Automatic Controller Mapping

The VIP software automatically maps the most popular parameters of your favorite VSTi right to the Akai Pro Advance keyboard hardware controls, providing instant real-time control over all the patches in all of your plugins.
Not bad, that sounds so much like a Kore template. I have personally made over 150 templates for plugins in Kore, plus probably over 70 that already had maps, so pretty close. Of course some of those include templates for Reaktor ensembles, which I wonder if they they got mapped for VIP.

Host automation or midi cc.

aMUSEd wrote:Not bad, that sounds so much like a Kore template. I have personally made over 150 templates for plugins in Kore, plus probably over 70 that already had maps, so pretty close. Of course some of those include templates for Reaktor ensembles, which I wonder if they they got mapped for VIP.
The difference with a Kore template, is that VIP Plugin Maps also include the presets themselves, already tagged.

Reaktor ensembles like Kontour or Prism are handled like Kontakt expansions: even though they all belong to the Reaktor VST, they have their own plugin map, which include their own set of control mappings.

Cool, sounds great - I will certainly be interested when it gets to the point of being a viable replacement for my Kore 2 (eg mainly morphing, effects chains and instrument layers support, non keyboard controller only version)

[quote="T-CM11"][quote="andy4trance"]Thanks T-CM11, it would have been cool though.
Maybe somebody will make one day a controller with full set(at least two dozens ) of infinite knobs in a friendly/standard synth setup layout, knobs with high res leds around, and parameter name + value tag display under each, intuitive layering to accommodate software tabs, etc. For such a piece of gear it may be worth taking the effort doing the mappings ourselves. A good community setup sharing system would work too.[/quote]
I'm surprised that there's so few user and/or developer made Automap templates out there.
On the other hand, a template might be set up logically for someone else, but not for me. (e.g. I think non-continuous oscilator waveform selection should be a button, not a knob/encoder/fader)
Still, a user made template is usually easier to adapt than an automatically generated...[/quote]
yep I was just as disappointed about automap presets, meaning the lack of, I thought it's related only to the Nocturn controllers. On the Nocturn at least, button controllers are only on/off so discrete value knobs can't be assigned to buttons, unless I missed some feature

stikygum wrote:The Nektar website has their list of VSTs and FX plugins on there, but it seems their aren't the VSTs I want. Most are FX plugins, which I'm not as interested in. Which would make Akai Advance more attractive because I've already seen some plugins I have it controls. Here's the VST list on Nektar's site if anyone is interested: http://www.nektartech.com/s.nl/ctype.KB ... ategory=20 Not a lot imo. Here's the FX list (a ton in there): http://www.nektartech.com/s.nl/ctype.KB ... ategory=20 But I would buy the P1 for DAW integration anyways.

That's a truly pathetic list of instruments.

Thanks for this thread overall, though. I try to avoid thinking about how generally bad and way behind the times this entire controller business is and has been.

What's wrong with the companies and people who design these things. Almost all of them STINK, and every single one is overpriced.

I avoid thinking about this because it just leaves me disgusted. This topic is a real weak link in our line of music. What a stupid shame. Fire all these people and get some decent product out there at a decent price. Sheesh!

Return to “Instruments”