Hollyhock II is a tinkerer's dream...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Usine Usine Hollyhock

I simply do certain things in HH and others in BWS and then bring them together... ;-)

But I currently try to connect them via OSC (OSC4Bitwig on the BWS-side) which I have partly working (Usine starts to play when I start BWS and song tempo is sent too).

It also seems to be possible to sync HH to BWS with Midi Beat Clock but so far that didn't work in my tests, still investigating what I do wrong.

My audio interface has no problem running both Bitwig and Usine on Asio at the same time it seems (Scarlett 18i20 with latest beta drivers) so I can send audio through that directly.

But I'm not into perfectly synced music so your mileage may vary ;-)

Rewire for Usine is also planned, in that case it would be possible to use Rewire-VST in BWS with it.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Er, does this thing load VSTs??? I tried to get something in a rack but couldn't figure it out... Ha!

Of course: just drop a VST from the Browser Plugin-tab to a patch.
If the patch is empty and you select "Clear patch and open Plug-in", it even does all the basic connections for you.

Be sure to enter your VST paths in the preferences and "scan all" first though.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Oh, and here's the manual:
http://www.sensomusic.com/wiki3/doku.ph ... nual:guide

And here are all the nodes:
http://www.sensomusic.com/wiki3/doku.ph ... al:modules

You can also click on the Questionmark in the inspector for each node to get that help.

Cheers,

Tom

Ok, I have Midi Beat Clock working from BWS to HH:
In BWS, either use a script that is already sending out Midi Beat Clock or use the generic script "Midi Clock Transmitter" to send MBC to a virtual Midi Port of your choice. I use Loop Midi.
In Usine HH, activate that same (input) port in preferences, select the input in the Devices panel and in the inspector you will find a "Midi Clock" header under which you can enable "receive midi clock".

This works, although I get some drifting...

Cheers,

Tom

Does anybody use HHII on Mac with an external touchscreen? Does HHII support Multitouch/Touchscreens on Mac?
I use a Sharp LL-S201A with the TouchBase driver.

TabSel wrote:Does anybody use HHII on Mac with an external touchscreen? Does HHII support Multitouch/Touchscreens on Mac?
I use a Sharp LL-S201A with the TouchBase driver.
It should do, certainly supports multi touch on Windows
Amazon: why not use an alternative

OT
@ThomasHelzle
interesting website you have there :)

dave

dave dove wrote:OT
@ThomasHelzle

dave
:-) Thanks
It actually needs a massive update but since I do all the coding etc. myself, it takes quite some time to do a complete overhaul...
I want to switch from the "ModX" CMS to "GetSimple" since it's much lighter and doesn't need a database, but there is always so much other interesting stuff to do :-)

Update on HH sync to Bitwig Studio: I tried the same setup with Ableton Live as sync-slave to BWS and it's very tight, so it seems that HH simply doesn't do a very good job with Midi Beat Clock sync. So bad in fact, that at first I didn't even realize it was working at all...
I hope this can be improved, I'll write a ticket to support.

Cheers,

Tom

Very Good News:
I created a ticket yesterday about the sync-issues and Senso fixed it right away: the next release (.68) will have a stable Midi Beat Clock sync to other hosts.
Wow, that was instant service :-) :tu:

With that, it should be relatively trivial to integrate HH into most setups, using virtual midi connections and - provided the audio driver allows it - sending Audio back and forth.
Sending OSC to Usine I have working as well (so I can for instance start and stop HH from Bitwig).
Somehow my system doesn't want to receive OSC from Usine yet, but it seems it's something with my system... still investigating.

Cheers,

Tom

Ok, last problem solved:
The sending-OSC-from-Usine-to-Bitwig failed for two factors:
- I was using port 8001 for this which was already taken on my system (not sure by what).
- The OSC4Bitwig script has a bug where when you enter a receive port in preferences GUI, it's not actually used. I had to enter the port (8002 in my case) in the Config.js script that is part of OSC4Bitwig in line 21: Config.receivePort = 8002;

Now everything is working great, I can send and receive OSC and with the .68 update, Midi Beat Clock should be tight.

So there you have it - Usine Hollyhook II nicely integrated with Bitwig Studio :-)

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote:In Usine HH, activate that same (input) port in preferences, select the input in the Devices panel and in the inspector you will find a "Midi Clock" header under which you can enable "receive midi clock".
Thanks for this timely post Tom. I kept searching for this by clicking the device as it sat in the rack and wondered why I couldn't find it.

UncleAge wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:In Usine HH, activate that same (input) port in preferences, select the input in the Devices panel and in the inspector you will find a "Midi Clock" header under which you can enable "receive midi clock".
Thanks for this timely post Tom. I kept searching for this by clicking the device as it sat in the rack and wondered why I couldn't find it.
Yeah, that is one of the things that happens a lot to me in Usine - there are so many contexts, sometimes I get totally lost. In this case I think the difference is, that in the Device Panel you are working on the "Master Device" while the device in the track is a mere "Instance"...

Cool it helped :-)

Cheers,

Tom

A quick heads up:
Version .68 of HH is out and the Midi Beat Clock sync to BWS is massively improved.
I'm not sure if it's good enough for really tight stuff - Ableton Live as slave is still better - but it's a huge improvement from unusable to very close.

Cheers,

Tom

dave dove wrote:OT
@ThomasHelzle
+1, love it, great stuff. You're a skilled and talented man visually :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”