Dada Life are Bitwig beta testers... their experience with Bitwig so far...

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

marztecheque wrote: i need more precise viewing for editing in bitwig. I need better options on the track height/resolution...
just wondering what is the problem with the editor view

:roll: AFAIK still there is no Ghost Channel view in the playlist editor of FL (FL has the piano roll and ... done , bam, splat) IMO BWS arranger view should use for arranging purpose not for editing
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I could definitely see myself switching from Ableton Live to Bitwig some time in the future. I wish Ableton was more fully featured and their rate of feature improvements is probably the slowest of any DAW on the market. It took them a decade to get proper PDC. Their most exciting improvement in recent memory is dual screen support. So maybe in 50 years time they will be a rubust DAW. Yay! I don't want to wait that long so I'm hoping Bitwig is my solution sometime soon.

But the piano roll sucks in Bitwig right now. The lack of a line tool for editing note velocities slows me down too much and I don't like the velocity editor looks. I wish they were represented by bars not small circles followed by horizontal lines. The horizontal lines really mess me up when I'm trying to draw a crescendo with the pencil tool (the next best thing to a line tool at the moment). Also the non adjustable track height in bitwig is a deal breaker. I make a lot of use of this in Ableton. And yes the EQ 8 in Live with it's visual feedback is very helpful in quickly identifying frequencies that the mix doesn't need. It's not absolutely necessary but I use it and it speeds up my workflow.

This is just my experience. I'm not a hobbyist. I make music full time for living and am always looking for ways to speed up my workflow.

Matt Riley wrote:I could definitely see myself switching from Ableton Live to Bitwig some time in the future. I wish Ableton was more fully featured and their rate of feature improvements is probably the slowest of any DAW on the market. It took them a decade to get proper PDC. Their most exciting improvement in recent memory is dual screen support. So maybe in 50 years time they will be a rubust DAW. Yay! I don't want to wait that long so I'm hoping Bitwig is my solution sometime soon.

But the piano roll sucks in Bitwig right now. The lack of a line tool for editing note velocities slows me down too much and I don't like the velocity editor looks. I wish they were represented by bars not small circles followed by horizontal lines. The horizontal lines really mess me up when I'm trying to draw a crescendo with the pencil tool (the next best thing to a line tool at the moment). Also the non adjustable track height in bitwig is a deal breaker. I make a lot of use of this in Ableton. And yes the EQ 8 in Live with it's visual feedback is very helpful in quickly identifying frequencies that the mix doesn't need. It's not absolutely necessary but I use it and it speeds up my workflow.

This is just my experience. I'm not a hobbyist. I make music full time for living and am always looking for ways to speed up my workflow.
Feature requests better go to support(at)bitwig.com

In here there are more or less useless, apart from discussing them. But Bitwig is listening to feature requests, so write them politely and they may hear you. Show them pics of your crescendo and why it disturbs you having horizontal lines.

This is also written in the intro for the forum.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=420129

cheers

I sent them an email about it a few weeks ago.

might got lost during Namm or smth, just write again.

Geist...

and mucoder hypercyclic for the experimental things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG8wPtuvYPQ
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Sure there are workarounds for most of Bitwig's shortcomings, but those workarounds should not be needed. Seriously, if I wanted workarounds, I would just use FL Studio, since that is the king of workarounds.

Reefius wrote:Sure there are workarounds for most of Bitwig's shortcomings, but those workarounds should not be needed. Seriously, if I wanted workarounds, I would just use FL Studio, since that is the king of workarounds.
haha true story. Fls weak point, reason why i left fl studio for bitwig. dont see why bitwig need workarounds. Fl studio like you suggested :tu:
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

ronnyrydgren wrote:but now with fl12, u can select multiple tracks and do it in one step. But i talk if you group in fl it still goes to master without getting to a buss and fl was like "now we finally have groups in mixer". You still would have to route to a track and let that act as buss after you have grouped for each individual track
Group and buss are same thing in your argument? Is that the reason you are trying to not notice the meaning of "Route selected to this track only"?

You are trying to create buss by 'grouping' and at the same time complaining about that you have to create buss by 'creating buss'? I still don't get your obsession for 'bussing' but it's been just serving for ages....

tooneba wrote:
ronnyrydgren wrote:but now with fl12, u can select multiple tracks and do it in one step. But i talk if you group in fl it still goes to master without getting to a buss and fl was like "now we finally have groups in mixer". You still would have to route to a track and let that act as buss after you have grouped for each individual track
Group and buss are same thing in your argument? Is that the reason you are trying to not notice the meaning of "Route selected to this track only"?

You are trying to create buss by 'grouping' and at the same time complaining about that you have to create buss by 'creating buss'? I still don't get your obsession for 'bussing' but it's been just serving for ages....
I think what he means is folder track?
And everything in it routes to a "folder" track and "behaves" like a "buss" ? :(

Im lost... :hihi:

tooneba wrote:

Well i am talking about how bitwig 1.2 will have grouping as folder (that acts as bus) like ableton just by selecting tracks and pressing ctrl+j everything will be grouped and have the folder as a buss.

In 2015 fl studio came with groups in mixer by select create group. What happens now is very annoying for it to be called a group, it just adds one thick line of each side. Nothing thats able to fold or hide, and to be able to have a bus you need to do what you wrote, right click and select route do this track only. Okey that works which i knew, but the fact that you need to do all these steps is a slowdown for me. also if you want to move the first track that is to the right of the so called group in mixer, then it will push the bracket to the left and push everything outside it, just because the bracket is actually on that track. I think this kind of workflow is messy. I did not say either that you cant make good tracks or that people actually dont like this better. But my feeling is towards fl not great. i know fl has alot of routing capabilities. But everything needs to be routed in so many aspects and i dont like it

yes i think this is annoying. Why are you to question what i seem fit to my workflow and how i want groups to act etc. i dont like fl studio, it dont fit on how i want things to work. Obviously i left fl studio for bitwig. Nothing i feel bad about. The reason i took up what i thought 1 negative thing about fl studio update someone spoke positive about the new update in a bitwig forum. Everything isnt black and white and what you like might others not like. So you shouldnt look down on them because of that
Last edited by takaii on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard

codec17 wrote:
tooneba wrote:

I think what he means is folder track?
And everything in it routes to a "folder" track and "behaves" like a "buss" ? :(

Im lost... :hihi:
Yes you are correct :hyper:

xbitz wrote:Geist...

Yes, but if the import midi from Geist worked correctly that would help :roll:

see: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... t#p6103343

ronnyrydgren wrote:Well i am talking about how bitwig 1.2 will have grouping as folder (that acts as bus) like ableton just by selecting tracks and pressing ctrl+j everything will be grouped and have the folder as a buss.

In 2015 fl studio came with groups in mixer by select create group. What happens now is very annoying for it to be called a group, it just adds one thick line of each side. Nothing thats able to fold or hide, and to be able to have a bus you need to do what you wrote, right click and select route do this track only. Okey that works which i knew, but the fact that you need to do all these steps is a slowdown for me. also if you want to move the first track that is to the right of the so called group in mixer, then it will push the bracket to the left and push everything outside it, just because the bracket is actually on that track. I think this kind of workflow is messy. I did not say either that you cant make good tracks or that people actually dont like this better. But my feeling is towards fl not great. i know fl has alot of routing capabilities. But everything needs to be routed in so many aspects and i dont like it

yes i think this is annoying. Why are you to question what i seem fit to my workflow and how i want groups to act etc. i dont like fl studio, it dont fit on how i want things to work. Obviously i left fl studio for bitwig. Nothing i feel bad about. The reason i took up what i thought 1 negative thing about fl studio update someone spoke positive about the new update in a bitwig forum. Everything isnt black and white and what you like might others not like. So you shouldnt look down on them because of that
I personally don't care what you like or not, I just told the things how they are working as you said "no bus, everything just goes to master without getting bussed."

If you create a buss track goes to master it goes to master. [*]In Cubase create group channel track, route track A and B only to it and route it to master. In Fl route track A and B only to buss track and route it to master. Cool, bussing does bussing.

So you've been claiming (1) you want folding, (2) terminology should be reviewed to change Grouping to Labeling or something, (3) grouping should do batch process which does [*] automatically.

For (1) I don't know whether mixer track will go well with hierarchy system, so I'd like more better idea. For (3) if optional, could be useful. As a default, no thanks.

tooneba wrote:
ronnyrydgren wrote:Well i am talking about how bitwig 1.2 will have grouping as folder (that acts as bus) like ableton just by selecting tracks and pressing ctrl+j everything will be grouped and have the folder as a buss.

I personally don't care what you like or not, I just told the things how they are working as you said "no bus, everything just goes to master without getting bussed."

If you create a buss track goes to master it goes to master. [*]In Cubase create group channel track, route track A and B only to it and route it to master. In Fl route track A and B only to buss track and route it to master. Cool, bussing does bussing.

So you've been claiming (1) you want folding, (2) terminology should be reviewed to change Grouping to Labeling or something, (3) grouping should do batch process which does [*] automatically.

For (1) I don't know whether mixer track will go well with hierarchy system, so I'd like more better idea. For (3) if optional, could be useful. As a default, no thanks.
I stated that in contex of "grouping" in fls mixer.
I never stated its not possible to route, i said group by default isnt:) you told me baised on how little you think i know about fl. I know more then u think but its
Good there are diffrent daws working diffrently for each individual :)

Return to “Bitwig”