Creative uses for standard fx units

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone tried using a convolution reverb to recreate buss compression? How about 18 voice+ unison on a kick drum? I love the idea of convolving layers together though im not sure that in practise it would offer anything. Anyone have any similar creative tricks using standard devices?

dewgong wrote:Anyone tried using a convolution reverb to recreate buss compression?
Standard convolution can't reproduce effects that dynamically depend on for example the volume envelope of the signal. Convolution is basically just a static filter, where a longer impulse response can however make it sound like a reverb.

Xenakios wrote:
dewgong wrote:Anyone tried using a convolution reverb to recreate buss compression?
Standard convolution can't reproduce effects that dynamically depend on for example the volume envelope of the signal. Convolution is basically just a static filter, where a longer impulse response can however make it sound like a reverb.
Ah I should have elaborated. I mean taking a compressed version of a track and convolving it with the original. Also I have heard of at least one dynamic convolution engine

Compression is a non-linear effect. Convolution IS linear.

I usually use the convulsion reverb for layering sound the result is truly creative,for example for make a 707 subkick try loading a 909 kick in convultion reverb,another trick is to use different types of noise as reverb impulse.
for non linear dynamic convolution engine take a look here http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=133

camsr wrote:Compression is a non-linear effect. Convolution IS linear.
I addressed this already. The idea is to use the compressed version of your track as an IR. This is much the same as using an effect chain devoted solely to compression. Ive never done it but I wonder whether there would be any advantage to applying effects in this way

dewgong wrote:
camsr wrote:Compression is a non-linear effect. Convolution IS linear.
I addressed this already. The idea is to use the compressed version of your track as an IR. This is much the same as using an effect chain devoted solely to compression. Ive never done it but I wonder whether there would be any advantage to applying effects in this way
"Linear" means it does not vary with amplitude. Convolution works in the frequency (time) domain.

Ahh I see, but there must be amplitude variance surely? Compression works in the frequency domain. A compressor changes the proportions and distribution of all the spectral information. A compressed kick has a different timbre for example. Also does the amplitude of an IR affect the amplitude of the convolved signal?

The effect you are describing is deconvolution. I have not seen non-linear deconvolution. But that does not mean it's impossible.

Dynamic convolution is capable of emulating compressors by applying 1IR per sample of data as opposed to multiplying 1IR with each sample. There's a video on Youtube about the focusrite which compares it with compressor units. Tbh im not convinced

Return to “Effects”