One Synth Challenge #75: PG-8X (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Mojo42 wrote: Saving a soundbank with self created patches was an intelligence test, but I have made it :D
Damn, that's one iq tests I've yet to pass...
How did you do it? Can I create one bank with all the noises I've made so far? I only seem to go back to INIT whenever I try to do stuff...

Great to see you join! :)

mehum wrote:
Mojo42 wrote: Saving a soundbank with self created patches was an intelligence test, but I have made it :D
Damn, that's one iq tests I've yet to pass...
How did you do it? Can I create one bank with all the noises I've made so far? I only seem to go back to INIT whenever I try to do stuff...
Lol :hihi:

Try this:

- Select an init bank by clicking on the number beside "init" at the display, for example 1-32.
- Click on the first slot (init 1)
- Click on the blue "write" button
- Click on the display on the word "init". Now you can type in the name of your preset.
- Press enter key.
- Click again on the blue "write" button!!!! (that`s the trick :wink: )

Now your preset is saved on slot 1, this way go on adding your next preset and so on....

Saving the bank is quite simple.

- Click the blue "save" button.
- I selected "PG8X bank"
- Name the bank and save it.
mehum wrote:Great to see you join! :)
Well, let`s say I try :lol:

I`m not finished yet with my "CPU usage test" lol. This time I`m wiser and have learnt from my experiances at OSC #72. My plan was to make approximately 12 -15 test instances, adding automation and a couple of effects and then I`m quite curios if the track will stutter again, or if Cubase will crash or something like that.

If everything will run smooth.....then I will give it a try, looks like "huge fun" this time :lol: 8)

Looking forward to your killer kick :D
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Mojo42 wrote: Try this:

Well, that far I got as well :)
Thing is, I want to save all the sounds I've already made into one patch. I guess it takes a bit of saving to syx-files, loading into one instance etc...
Perhaps I'll just save syx files to a zip...
Well, let`s say I try :lol:

I`m not finished yet with my "CPU usage test" lol. This time I`m wiser and have learnt from my experiances at OSC #72. My plan was to make approximately 12 -15 test instances, adding automation and a couple of effects and then I`m quite curios if the track will stutter again, or if Cubase will crash or something like that.

If everything will run smooth.....then I will give it a try, looks like "huge fun" this time :lol: 8)

Looking forward to your killer kick :D
My plan this month is to keep instance count under 15-20 or so... Forcing myself to keep it simple... No polyrythms. These rules probably out the window in a few days though :)

Isn't track freezing working for you, if you run out of CPU?

PG8X seems a bit unstable and quirky at times but I've yet to have a crash. Reaper is usually pretty good at recovering, plus I have set up auto-backup every 5 or 10 minutes if I forget to save it myself :)

Ok, here's a kick:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d98og4dfmrqfx ... s.zip?dl=0
Kick tuned for C1.
EDIT: For a bit of punch, layer with a short noise burst, filtered to taste.

I will try and remember to add to this zip all the patches I make...
Last edited by mehum on Sun May 03, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Damn, accidently replied instead of editing :)
Nothing to see here!

mehum wrote:
Mojo42 wrote: Try this:

Well, that far I got as well :)
Thing is, I want to save all the sounds I've already made into one patch. I guess it takes a bit of saving to syx-files, loading into one instance etc...
Perhaps I'll just save syx files to a zip...
Just in very short because my nightshift is over and I have to sleep now:

I don`t know exactly what you mean with "made into one patch" and what exactly you wish to do because a bank is just one file. You can save 32 patches on one bank and when you save this bank you just have one single file,containing your 32 patches. You just have to select the second slot at the empty bank for adding the second patch, then select the third slot at the empy bank for the third patch and so on. All the time you add a new patch on the empty init bank you have to do all steps I described above.

I will answer the rest of your post today evening, now I have to sleep.

Cheers
Yvonne
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Mojo42 wrote: I don`t know exactly what you mean with "made into one patch" and what exactly you wish to do because a bank is just one file. You can save 32 patches on one bank and when you save this bank you just have one single file,containing your 32 patches. You just have to select the second slot at the empty bank for adding the second patch, then select the third slot at the empy bank for the third patch and so on. All the time you add a new patch on the empty init bank you have to do all steps I described above.
Yeah, I got that :)
But I have already made the sounds in separate instances of the synth. When I save a patch in one instance it's not automatically transferred to the banks of the other instances (perhaps that is Reaper specific behaviour though?) so I'd have to save each sound as a separate patch, then load them one and one into one instance of PG8X and save them into a new bank. So I'll just save each patch and put them in the zip instead :)
I will answer the rest of your post today evening, now I have to sleep.
Sleep well! :)

It looks like I'm the first one to submit a track, so here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/krisl/reefius-explode

Created in Cubase Elements 8
13 Instances of PG-8X

Cubase FX used:
5x RoomWorks
4x PingPongDelay
2x MonoDelay
1x AutoPan
2x VintageCompressor
1x Maximizer

External (Freeware) FX used:
6x BigKixDippa (for ducking effect)
13x Voxengo Marvel EQ

BigKixDippa is a free VST to create a ducking or sidechain effect, it can be found here: https://www.hintonandfairchild.co.uk/pr ... gkixdippa/

Edit: Updated list of used FX.
Last edited by Reefius on Sat May 09, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Through this site: http://super-jx.com/
I found this little guide. Have only browsed but seems to contain a few good tips and tricks...
http://www.wolzow.com/analog/files/SuperJX.pdf

z.prime wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Now you know what it was like in 1979.
Heheh.
keith303 wrote:whatever kickdrum i'm trying to get out of this, it either sounds like
a) a fart
b) a gabber kick

anyone able to add a "c)" or a "d)" ?
I haven't got a great one yet. There are some definite issues making it work... So far (only been messing with it today, really) I was able to layer 2 instances for something sorta ok...

Here's something to look at (attachments). Rez all the way up, play with the cutoff frequency a bit to get the pitch you want. Add another instance with some different stuff for some more attack to it...

The key you play is important... try C1 or so, or all over they keyboard. It's sort of a crapshoot... and not entirely consistent.
thanks for your attachments and tips. actually resonance @max + filter and/or pitch env is what i usually made my kicks with in nearly all previous OSCs. it worked wonders in synthmaster for example - didn't even have to layer or excessively EQ it in order to obtain something pretty close to a 909-ish sound, which was exactly what i was looking for (and am looking for now). also synth1 was e-z in that regard, but this one here seems a bit more challenging :)

"out of the box", PG8X with a single layer appears to be mostly suitable for boomy and rather undefined 808'ish stuff or those mentioned in my little fun list. ;)

experiments in progress.. :pray:

Hello Comrades
Am going to sit this OSC out this month, but good luck to everyone.

cheers

I'm working on kicks as well. I've got pretty good synth kicks from something like this, Similar to Mojo's diagram except a few differences:

Use only DCO1 (turn DSC2's mixer to 0)
Set DCO1 waveform to Square
Set the VCF Cut Off to 0, and the Res to max
VCF filter amount to about 30-50 %
VCF env mode to ENV1 normal
ENV1 decay set to very short- maybe 10-15%
ENV1 Sustain to 0

For a bit of extra flavor, I nudge the pitch env amount on DCO1 up a bit (maybe 10-15%)

jasinski wrote:I'm working on kicks as well. I've got pretty good synth kicks from something like this, Similar to Mojo's diagram except a few differences:

Use only DCO1 (turn DSC2's mixer to 0)
Set DCO1 waveform to Square
Set the VCF Cut Off to 0, and the Res to max
VCF filter amount to about 30-50 %
VCF env mode to ENV1 normal
ENV1 decay set to very short- maybe 10-15%
ENV1 Sustain to 0

For a bit of extra flavor, I nudge the pitch env amount on DCO1 up a bit (maybe 10-15%)
Sounds like the patches I posted :-P

Thanx Mojo42, Z.Prime and Jasinski :)

Now my kick sounds much better than earlier :tu:

Cheers
JK Flashico

Here's my kick, sounds best on C1 ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”