New machine, some 64 bit plugins not showing in DAW (resolved)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a weird one for sure.

I'm just in the process of reinstalling a new DAW :-

i7 4790k
Asus Z97 Pro
16GB DDR3
250GB Samsung Evo SSD
2 x 2TB storage

W7 64 Home Premium

I have Live 9 Standard and Cubase 6.5 installed, all up to date.

Most plugin installs have gone fine, however (so far) Serum and Replika are refusing to show up in my plugin lists in 64 bit in either DAW.

I have Cubase installed as 32 bit as well, but both plugins show up fine there.

In both cases their respective .dll files are in the correct place.

I've tried uninstalling, re-installing, trying older versions of Serum but nothing seems to work. I'm a bit stumped here :?
Last edited by tehlord on Sun May 03, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Live will only read the version of plug-in that is relevant to the version installed. i.e., Live 32 bit will only read 32 bit plugs, and Live 64 bit will only read 64 bit plugs.

I will hazard a guess you already know this.

Here is my point;

If you have both 32 bit and 64 bit plugs in the same folder, and Live 64 bit encounters the 32 bit version first, it will ignore it and the next version because it believes it has already scanned it.

Same with Cubase; if it scans a plug and it fails, it ignores the next.

With Live the fix is fairly simple;
Create a folder of VST's dedicated to Live (insert version here). Be absolutely sure you have the correct version of VST in that folder. It is easy to get versions confused and then you encounter the problems you have - not showing up.

This means multiple VST folders unfortunately, but it's the only way I've been able to manage my VST's for various DAW's.

Cubase is not so simple unfortuantely. Getting it to rescan, for me anyway, has always been a PITA. TBH I really don't know the proper sequence to get it to rescan. I've already just messed around until I get what I want :hihi:

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Thanks for the suggestions but that's not the issue in this case.

I have a 32bit and 64bit install path (program files(x86) and program files standard) and Live 64 only looks at the 64 bit install path.

Cubase is a little more complex but I can point it to a number of different install paths so I know it's looking in the right place, they're just not showing up in the plugin lists!

Gah!

I guess you already know that also, but, when writing your programs in the Program Files (x86) folder, you got to have read write access to it too, so you either have to be logged on as administrator, or start your DAW as administrator. That's why it's generally a good idea to install them in another location.

In Cubase, if you have it set to read from 32 bit folders and 64 bit folders, it will only give you the version it has first scanned.

So, if it has scanned the 32 bit first it will not show the 64 bit version. In either version of Cubase, 32 bit or 64 bit - due to its internal bridge. This is particularly bothersome in the 64 bit version, hence the separate VST paths I use here, dedicated to the version of the DAW - 32 bit or 64 bit.

You will need to determine which version you want to use and remove the other.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. It definitely sounds like you have a unique situation.

Probably best to contact the respective developers.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Just a thought if it's an issue with Cubase (little experience with Live), have you cleared/deleted you blacklist for the version of Cuabse you're running?

Ie in mycase I have upgrade from 7 to 8, leaveing my plugins and Cubase 7 install on the system but directing cubase8 to the relevant folders (which I believe you;ve done).

Check the directory

C:\Users\YOURE USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7.5_64

or maybe in your case for example

C:\Users\tehlord\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6.5_64

MFXxx wrote:Just a thought if it's an issue with Cubase (little experience with Live), have you cleared/deleted you blacklist for the version of Cuabse you're running?

Ie in mycase I have upgrade from 7 to 8, leaveing my plugins and Cubase 7 install on the system but directing cubase8 to the relevant folders (which I believe you;ve done).

Check the directory

C:\Users\YOURE USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7.5_64

or maybe in your case for example

C:\Users\tehlord\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6.5_64

BINGO! We have a winner! :clap:

It looks like some windows components weren't yet fully installed and both Cubase and Live had blacklisted certain plugins, manually updating and clearing the blacklist solved the issue.

Thanks for all the help people :tu:

Great. Glad you're sorted and happy to have been of help.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”