Best additive VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What would you consider to be the best additive synthesis VST? And what makes it stand out above the crowd?

I just loved the kawai K5000 .... now i am looking for a new software toy to play with.

I love NI razor as an additive synth, it's easy to use and experimenting with it will always bring insteresting results quite easily.

Loom. Not your grand-daddy's additive...

It's infinitely less tedious than programming volume and pitch separate envelopes for a million partials.

Um. Yeah. What I really mean is that it's a blast to play with, sounds completely awesome, and isn't too bad on CPU. Great synth.

Cycle, harmor

I like Image Line additive synths.
Harmor/Harmless are the additive synths with a "subtractive" interface. Really cool idea!
Morphine is a different thing, it's an additive synth with a sampler interface and resynthesis. But I don't like the sound of Morphine very much.

Loom seems to be cool but I haven't demoed it...Examples on Air website sounds intresting.

lobanov wrote:I like Image Line additive synths.
Harmor/Harmless are the additive synths with a "subtractive" interface. Really cool idea!
Morphine is a different thing, it's an additive synth with a sampler interface and resynthesis. But I don't like the sound of Morphine very much.

Loom seems to be cool but I haven't demoed it...Examples on Air website sounds intresting.
Loom is a great sounding synth. In fact, if I could design a synth, it would be it. Unfortunately, the demo I downloaded so trashed my DAW that I had to completely uninstall Cubase and reinstall it.

So as much as I loved what Loom could do, I don't even dare try it again.

Vertigo is pending to be updated this year with some cool stuff. http://www.discodsp.com/vertigo/

i forgot spectral, it can be so powerfull too, the best is to test the demo and see what click for you, you can try zebra too it can be an additive too

I think Harmor is the guy....

I allready know and own Razor, Alchemy and Zebra2. but they are different beasts then kawai K5000.. Tough i enjoy toying around with them

However, i downloaded a trial of Loom yesterday, and all i can say is just wow... I am impressed, very flexible, and very deep sounds, it allows you to truely create some very darks pads, as the ones i loved from the K5000.

Thanks for the tips everyone..

Glad you're enjoying Loom, I sure am :)

Kinda OT, but the full AIR Instrument Expansion Pack (IEP) has some other serious gems in it besides Loom. Hybrid doesn't have tons of impressive features on paper, but just try it, it sounds freaking amazing and is easy to get around. Vacuum Pro is cool too, not as flashily great IMO as Loom and Hybrid, but unique and very cool sounding.

(The IEP also has general purpose sampler, a drum synth, an electric piano emu, and a loop production thing, well regarded I think, but I haven't messed with them, because I'm not much of a loop guy, and I have other tools that work for me for the others. I'm also shy on disk space, and the sampler and drum thing are pretty big.)

There have been some great specials on the full IEP, or upgrades from any single instrument to the pack, but I don't see any of those around right now. They do have a deal that's I think $20 off each instrument after you demo it, or something, not a huge break. Maybe best to just do Loom now if it clicks with you, but keep an eye out for deals on the IEP, great stuff.

Sjefke wrote:I allready know and own Razor, Alchemy and Zebra2. but they are different beasts then kawai K5000.. Tough i enjoy toying around with them

However, i downloaded a trial of Loom yesterday, and all i can say is just wow... I am impressed, very flexible, and very deep sounds, it allows you to truely create some very darks pads, as the ones i loved from the K5000.

Thanks for the tips everyone..
I think Loom is the best sounding additive I have.

btw if you want more patches for it...

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/tapestr ... und-design

The only issue Loom has is that it's limited to just 6 voices of polyphony, and envelope times are really hard to set precisely (cannot type the numbers in). And modulation could be a lot more flexible (as in Razor, for example).

George wrote:Vertigo is pending to be updated this year with some cool stuff. http://www.discodsp.com/vertigo/
You got me interested! what's the plan? :)

Don't forget Mpowersynth. While not wholly additive, it's got an additive osc mode and it sounds incredible.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”