Looking for good compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DC8C

You could grab meldas Mmoderncompressor which is easy enough but your best bet will be DC8C2. Its around $30 bucks and has all the features you could ever want.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I already own some Melda plugins and use them in every mix. I will demoing these: DC8C, MDynamics, The Glue, Pro-C and Compassion and who knows which of these will be winner at the end of day :)
VST2 sidechaining seems slightly easier in C8 than in C5/6, but still it is not so confortable as VST3 sidechaining, where you do not have to create group.

Palio wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions.
I already own some Melda plugins and use them in every mix. I will demoing these: DC8C, MDynamics, The Glue, Pro-C and Compassion and who knows which of these will be winner at the end of day :)
VST2 sidechaining seems slightly easier in C8 than in C5/6, but still it is not so confortable as VST3 sidechaining, where you do not have to create group.
another vote for dc8c, though unfortunately you won't be able to demo the full version.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
another vote for dc8c, though unfortunately you won't be able to demo the full version.
Yeah, so just buy it, it cost few drinks out, you just can't go wrong, it's excellent comp to have when they all fail 8)

OK. I tested some comps and here are my results.
Best comps which suits all needs was MDynamics and Pro-C. MDynamics can be very versatile and have lots of features which can be used in some situations and Pro-C with fast autorelease can be really fast :D
But I also tested Pro-MB, which I already own, in single full band mode and I found it really usefull. Variable knee, SC filtering, fast release and variable lookahead. Interresting, that I overlooked this "feature" of product I'm using often in mixes.
Thank you for all your suggestions :)

the softube FET is very good if you want to pump your sound.

One of the best transparent compressors there is, and for free!
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/

Softube FET looks great, but I don't have iLok USB. I have both TDR comps and they are awesome. If Kotelnikov have external SC input (VST3) and metering from Feedback2, it probably would be my go-to compressor.

As you know, not every compressor allows for an external sidechain. Even less off some kind of mix or blend knob functionality for easy setup of parallel compressions. Oddly enough, even few of them have some kind of variable-knee setting!!

At least in my collection.

I run Logic so it's own Compressor does support this functionality, but is of no use to you on Cubase.

I noticed the API 2500 has a 3-way a variable knee setting, but no Mix knob.

The Alpha Compressor I understand has a gradual varying knee as does the Vertigo VSC-2, but of those only the Alpha has a Mix knob.

Recently Waves put a Mix knob into its DBX160 and a sidechain filter. The H-Eq is one of the most flexible sounding compressors I know, but it also doesn't have knee function. It is possible, however, that by changing its compression type circuit (Analog) that it does alter the knee response as well.

All the above do have sedition functionality though, well, at least they do in Logic.

Just use LFO Tool.

I've got a few options for you:

Stillwell Major Tom

- sidechain filters X
- external sidechaining
- variable knee
- mix knob X

PSP Busspressor

- sidechain filters
- external sidechaining X
- variable knee X
- mix knob

Sknote C165a

- sidechain filters
- external sidechaining
- variable knee X
- mix knob

Eareckon SD-COMP 87

- sidechain filters
- external sidechaining
- variable knee X
- mix knob

Btw, in Reaper every plugin gets a wet/dry mix knob by default. ;)

matamoris wrote:Just use LFO Tool.
This..
...along with the Glue or Pro G?

Have you also looked at and considered Vengeance MultiBand Sidchain Compressor (elicenser), shoud do the job.

Return to “Effects”