One Synth Challenge #75: PG-8X (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

What a pitty, no AU... was looking forward to enter the OSC
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

deft_bonz wrote:What a pitty, no AU... was looking forward to enter the OSC
What do you need AU for? Logic? Is there no converter for VST?

Yes, Logic. You know there are people out there working with Logic, capable of only AU.

Probably there is a converter, I don't know. But why should I go thru all that hassle, just for another synth for a contest, and surely not to buy it?

I'll try the abandoned version. Maybe it works without too many heavy bugs. We'll see.

RE: LOGIC

I just played around with the current AU version in Logic Pro X and it worked. Saved a patch, sounds good, so it looks like there is hope for mac users this month. Looks like a fun synth -- it's always nice to have the limited feature set of an old analog device! Reminds me of the old days.

ontrackp wrote:... always nice to have the limited feature set of an old analog device ...
Ehh... not sure I agree on THAT one... :)

z.prime wrote:
ontrackp wrote:... always nice to have the limited feature set of an old analog device ...
Ehh... not sure I agree on THAT one... :)
Haha, that was my thought as well. This one is really deep!

C'mon Z -- ever hear the saying.... "less is more"!

ontrackp wrote:C'mon Z -- ever hear the saying.... "less is more"!
I have heard that... but in terms of synthesizers... hmm...

Give a kid a refrigerator box and he makes a spaceship, a car, a boat, a house, a cave, a castle.... give us a synth with two osc, two env, one lfo, limited waveforms and modulation and we make.......

ontrackp wrote:Give a kid a refrigerator box and he makes a spaceship, a car, a boat, a house, a cave, a castle.... give us a synth with two osc, two env, one lfo, limited waveforms and modulation and we make.......
Really bad kick drums :)

z.prime wrote:
ontrackp wrote:Give a kid a refrigerator box and he makes a spaceship, a car, a boat, a house, a cave, a castle.... give us a synth with two osc, two env, one lfo, limited waveforms and modulation and we make.......
Really bad kick drums :)
LOL -- ok, you got me! good luck this month, it will be interesting to see what everyone does with this.

Much excite: I got a cool kick, snare, and tom, but they were via layering. Will post soon.

bjporter wrote:Much excite
What have you done with the American Brian? :-P

Seems quite a nice retro synth to me.. I'm trying to run it under "airwave" in the Linux version of renoise, and it seems fairly stable.. only problems is CPU usage. Anyone know what the situation is with instrument freezes in renoise? (it's not really the same as track freeze as renoise just creates a sample-based instrument from the output of the plugin - which I guess might change the quality of the sound a bit..) If that's not allowed, any other options - I can see recording each track into another DAW might be an option - but one that doesn't sound too fun to me.

Fiddled around with it for some hours. It works under Logic 10.1.1 and Mavericks 10.9.5. Presets are saved and restored correctly. No bugs no crashes at all. Fun synth, nice sound. But a bad CPU-hog... 8 instances and my iMac 2012 with 16GB RAM will soon hit the limit. Unlike e.g. Dexed from OSC74, where I had 23 instances and barely hit the CPU-meter.

Nevertheless, I will keep on for this challenge.

Return to “Instruments”