Next purchase: Headphones or Audio Interface?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.
So, I think it's time for me to step up my audio quality a bit. Currently, I'm just using the integrated audio of my computer, Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio, and can find no info anywhere about its bit depth or sample rate. However, I'm quite sure that an external audio interface would have superior audio quality.
This brings me to my room, speakers, and current headphones.
My room is .. well ... it's what I have. It's not perfect, but it could be a LOT worse. It's odd-shaped, so that helps, and the walls have numerous bookcases on most of the walls, which (I'd assume) help absorb and de-reflect (is that a word) sound. Treating the room is not an option. It is what it is.
My speakers I've had for over 15 years. I think they sound good. They are Acoustic Studio Monitors. For awhile I thought they were pretty decent quality, but then I looked them up online to discover that they are what are considered "white van" speakers. Which is to say, generally considered pretty lousy -- by audiophiles. They're apparently the sort of thing one would buy out of a "white van" parked on the street, for a "great deal". But, as I said, I think they sound pretty decent. They've got 10" cones, ported, 4" mids, and 2 1/2" tweeters. Also they've got high and mid "tuning" controls, a freq. response of 20hz - 21Khz ... other stats etc .. they are not powered.
But what would I know. I'm no audiophile and haven't heard what would be considered quality powered studio monitors. However, a set of quality powered studio monitors is outside my budgetary restraints at this point.
My headphones are crap. El-cheapo semi-open back unknown-brand pair I got at the hardware store for like 20 bucks, mostly so I could play games and make music without annoying my neighbor.

SO!! My question is this: Given a budget constraint of around $150 max, what would be my next best purchase? Good monitor headphones or a USB audio interface? One thing regarding the audio interface: it would be important to have MIDI on it, and the number of audio in/outs is pretty unimportant. I'm unlikely to ever use more than one, maybe two, audio-in at a time. But, I want an interface that would be future-compatible with any hardware synths I might acquire. Also, I'd need RCA jacks to output to my system; but maybe I could do a 1/4"-to-RCA adaptor?

Thanks for your input!
:phones:

artao wrote:Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio, and can find no info anywhere about its bit depth or sample rate. However, I'm quite sure that an external audio interface would have superior audio quality.
It's probably 16bits then and maybe locked to 48 kHz and the driver resamples to/from 44.1 kHz. If you do measurements with RMAA (RightMark Audio Analyser) you can probably figure out these details, especially if it sounds better at a certain sampling rate.
artao wrote:My speakers I've had for over 15 years. I think they sound good.
Now that is really important indeed! Usually speakers are the weakest link. But if you can make good decisions with them, there's no urgency in replacing them.
artao wrote:My headphones are crap.
Right, hold that thought...
artao wrote:Given a budget constraint of around $150 max, what would be my next best purchase? Good monitor headphones or a USB audio interface?
Tough one indeed... Improve the headphones, and you'll never listen to your speakers again. I don't think that's really a step forward. Headphones are a great help but I think it's best to work with speakers instead.
So I'd lean towards getting an interface. That would get you Midi as well...
artao wrote:maybe I could do a 1/4"-to-RCA adaptor?
Yep, no problem. Adapters do nothing to the quality of your audio.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

for my money it would be the headphones :shrug:

if the room is untreated, and the speakers bad, an audio interface is not going to be able to make much difference. not that headphones are without disadvantages, but a decent set of cans might offer you (currently) the closest impression of what is really going on in your mix

Get cans for now - you'll see the biggest improvement with headphones for now. Getting an interface with higher audio quality capabilities won't do much given your speakers (assuming they're indeed "white van monitors") and your headphones.

When you do get an interface - keep in mind that if it only has two inputs and you have a stereo synth, both your inputs are used. So you'd be limited to either two mono external synths/drum machines or 1 stereo external synth/drum machine, assuming it has L and R outputs. I thought the same as you - I'll only need one or two inputs, but I bought something that had ADAT compatibility in case my "studio" grew, and I'm glad I did.

I would go for good cans next. The Soundmax probably won't drive them very well, but you probably have an amp that can do that.
The quality of the Soundmax might not be all that bad. They seem to be moving to using a system where a clock from somewhere in the machine is re-sythesised to produce any required sample rate and can in fact do 24bit up to 96Khz. Onboard sound chips nowadays seem to have far better technology than you'd expect. Unfortunately, their position on the mainboard combined with average supporting components means they'll never be as good as a dedicated interface can be (plenty of cheap USB interfaces use similar chips as on-board sound).
I've got a SoundMAX in my laptop. If you look into the hardware/audio properties, it's classed as a HD audio device, which I believe does mean it can do at least 24bit 96Khz.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been leaning towards headphones myself. Specifically these:
AKG K240 semi-open back
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S

Much past that is really outside my budget at this point, and would be a VAST improvement over my current crap-phones. :P
Still, if, indeed, my sound "card" is only 16-bit, how much of a difference will I really hear? It's primarily the improved audio quality that makes me think about buying an audio interface, at this point. Also having a separate volume control for headphones would be VERY nice!!!

@BertKoor
BertKoor wrote:If you do measurements with RMAA (RightMark Audio Analyser) you can probably figure out these details, especially if it sounds better at a certain sampling rate.
AH! Thanks for that. I will certainly check that out. I just downloaded it now.

Again, thanks for the help. 8)

artao wrote:Still, if, indeed, my sound "card" is only 16-bit, how much of a difference will I really hear? It's primarily the improved audio quality that makes me think about buying an audio interface, at this point. Also having a separate volume control for headphones would be VERY nice!!!
You may not notice any improvement by just replacing your headphones. Better headphones may actually make things sound worse, because you have more "clarity" in what you're hearing. It may highlight how bad your current soundcard is. I was very happy with my old soundblaster live card until I got some decent monitors. It sounded so bad I bought a better interface straight away. If I was you I'd save up and get a decent audio interface and monitors.

Technically 16 bits is sufficient for proper playback. It offers 96 dB signal-noise ratio in theory. With 12 dB headroom you can get 84 dB SPL playback volume and bavkground noise should be hardly noticable.

[double post]
Last edited by BertKoor on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[triple post]

Well, RMAA (RightMark Audio Analyser) tells me my computer's audio system can do 32 bit float @192Khz .. so ... yeah. I guess that's fine then. I only record and mix at 24-bit, 48Khz; pretty much entirely in-the-box. Only occasionally with my mic -- Shure Green Bullet
Headphones it is :D

Just keep in mind that those are semi-closed back headphones. As such, the bass response won't be as good as with closed back headphones. Typically, open or semi-open backed headphones are better for mixing, but since this will now be your primary sound source (assumption here) you'll be lacking in bass without checking them out on other speakers.

ImNotDedYet wrote:Just keep in mind that those are semi-closed back headphones. As such, the bass response won't be as good as with closed back headphones. Typically, open or semi-open backed headphones are better for mixing, but since this will now be your primary sound source (assumption here) you'll be lacking in bass without checking them out on other speakers.
Actually, I'll be buying them with mixing in mind, so i do want the semi-open back. I looked at open back too, but they were out of my price range.
They won't be my primary sound source by any means. I prefer listening to my speakers, in general, over wearing headphones. I just need something high quality for mixing and mastering purposes. :phones:

The ones you referenced are semi-open backed. (semi-closed - I'm backwards apparently)

Without knowing what your recording or how you work it's hard to say. We don't know what your doing with your recording or mixing.

For me the audio interface is so much more important than anything else. I absolutely need to have good ASIO drivers so I can run low latency and be able to use plug-ins. Headphones are sketchy for mixing on regardless of how good they are.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”